How do I teach my dogs not to jump on strangers? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default How do I teach my dogs not to jump on strangers?

How do I teach my dogs not to jump on strangers? I've got no one really to practice on otherwise I've watched a few videos about tying a pup to a railing of some sort and ignoring until they sit. Neither Smokey nor Zeeva jump on me or my husband. But if we go for a walk and someone wants to pet them they'll 100% jump up and Smokey will give a big smakaroo on the lips. :c I think this is very inappropriate. I especially worry about children.

Right now I'm mostly concerned about my mama who'll be coming to stay with me for a few days in January. She's frail and has balance issues. If they were to jump on her, she'd fall and get hurt. I'll for the most part keep them separated from her, but she will need to use their area on occasion since the pups stay in the kitchen and the nook.

Any ideas how I can train this? Without a stranger?

Thanks
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My GSD was really bad with this. She has improved lots, but we are still working on it. She only does it with people she knows. In the house she knows to jump on the couch and sit there until she is approached. We are still working outside the house. Its been a long process. I will say that she is great with kids and doesn't jump on them at all. She was also really good with my mom when my mom was sick. Robyn stuck right next to her, but never attempted to jump on her or act any less then a perfect angel. You'd be surprised what dogs can sense
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 03:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

My 9 month dog is jumping on every one, would be great if we could get some help from an experienced handler on this matter..
Attached Thumbnails
How do I teach my dogs not to jump on strangers?-phpg1twlcpm-1-.jpg  

Last edited by CAOLON1997; 11-25-2012 at 03:36 PM.
CAOLON1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What worked with my Sting at that age was to turn my back. When visitors came, and Sting would come running up - I asked them to turn their backs and I would do the same. When Sting saw he wasn't getting attention (this took about a minute or so) , he would sit or even lie down. Then when he was being good, we would turn, and I would let Sting approach the visitor. If he attempted to mouth when people had their hands at their side with those "tasty" fingers, I asked people to put their hands folded across their chests. If you get really good helpers, and are consistent - it doesn't take long for the dog to get the idea that he won't get attention by jumping.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
What worked with my Sting at that age was to turn my back. When visitors came, and Sting would come running up - I asked them to turn their backs and I would do the same. When Sting saw he wasn't getting attention (this took about a minute or so) , he would sit or even lie down. Then when he was being good, we would turn, and I would let Sting approach the visitor. If he attempted to mouth when people had their hands at their side with those "tasty" fingers, I asked people to put their hands folded across their chests. If you get really good helpers, and are consistent - it doesn't take long for the dog to get the idea that he won't get attention by jumping.
I took a class and they taught us the same thing. Neither of my dogs learned though :c My husky is especially prone to jumping on people.

This weekend I had guests over. We tried to teach them in a similar way that you described. It didn't help that my guests were a bit afraid of my doggies :c But every time a new person comes to our house it takes the doggies a good 5-10 minutes of sniffing their butt, crotch, jumping on them and licking them before they stop. It's so rude and I feel no one wants to come over because of them. I'd crate them but then how'll the doggies learn especially when someone is willing to help? :c
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

As I am sure you have been told if you ignore a behaviour long enough, it will extinguish itself. However that could take lots of time. If your dog responds to leash corrections, prepare yourself (Anticipate) for when the dog is about to jump and pop the leash giving a correction and a stern "NO" or similar command. As the dog realizes that every time they jump up they get a firm correction, they stop that behaviour to avoid the correction.
I am no training Guru but that should be a start. I would use it in conjuction with your guest also turning away from the behaviour.
Good luck
canasask is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

To avoid my dogs from jumping on people, I taught them that they had to sit before they would get attention from anyone.
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

It is harder for you because you have more than one, and since I have had a Husky I know who is leading the "charge". If leash corrections don't work and having them sit doesn't work, use a dog gate. If your guests are in the front room, the dogs could be in the kitchen. That way they can "greet" your guests but no jumping up or sniffing. When the dogs sit and are quiet, the guests can approach the gate and pet them. Giving your dogs incentive to sit, like a treat - helps. And also chew toys to keep them busy while you visit.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The 'turn your back to the dog' worked very well for me, with my very good friend who's a no-nonsense person. But I think my puppy can read people's energy, and when they're excitable then he'll jump up and kiss them. If you think the dogs are going to jump on your mom, and she's likely to get hurt, I'd just keep them leashed around her, or gated in another room.
Blanketback is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowgal View Post
To avoid my dogs from jumping on people, I taught them that they had to sit before they would get attention from anyone.
Same here.
He is also not allowed to approach when people come over. There is no reason for him to rush them at the door.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.