How do I teach my dogs not to jump on strangers? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

What worked best for me was my friends (and I) would immediately drop a treat on the floor as we entered the house. Gracie got so used to expecting the treat she she kept all fours on the floor. After she scarfed down the treat she was still very excited but didn't jump up. Of corse lots of praise for not jumping and she was totally ignored if she did.

It helps too if those entering the house to keep moving through the room and not stand inside the door. My dog tends to want to jump if they stop but just follows excitedly if they keep moving.

Hope this helps
Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

This is really hard, especially for older dogs that have been successful at jumping up - no matter how hard you've tried!

My friend has a great dane that LOVED to jump on people ... she tried everything - dropping food on the floor, turning her back to him (he'd still jump and paws would be on the shoulder from the back - eek!)

She finally found something that worked. When someone came to the door, she would unlock the door, back up a bit, have him on leash and she had the leash on the floor and was standing on it. He was laying down. She'd then tell the people to come in - and he couldn't jump up because she was standing on the leash. (She had her legs spread about 12-18 inches apart, along the length of the leash that was on the floor), and she was hold the loop of the leash in her hand. The dog had about 4-6 inches of "loose leash". He could raise his head, etc. but he wasn't able to get up.

If you're standing "square" you'll be able to keep your balance. It took a couple of different people that she practiced with, but it didn't take him that long to figure it out. Now, he doesn't jump on people at all!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My crack puppy loves to jump on anything and everyone. Instead of teaching him NOT to jump on people, I taught him TO jump on people (chairs, tables, stools, tail gate etc.). Then I taught him 'Off'.

"Up" means put your front legs on. "Load" means jump onto or into (all four legs on the object/lap).
"Off" means put all four legs on the ground.

I can now tell him "Off" when I see the death charge towards a person. He may forget himself and do a couple mid air leaps, but he no longers hits his target.

If the person is a dog person, I'll allow them to invite my crack puppy "up".

Training this included walking through pet stores etc. and asking him to 'load' on dog food bags (etc.) or 'up' (front legs only) on them. He is to remain that way until I command 'Off'.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm afraid that I had to resort to a spray bottle with vinegar water. Havs loves to jump up. He knows he shouldn't but the temptation to get to the face is mighty. We have healthcare nurses and my husband has a foot long wound in his abdomen so I needed to get Havs to quit jumping FAST! A quick, well timed spritz has cured him, now I just show him the bottle when we go to the door.

I literally tried everything else first.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 04:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What worked for us when Rusty was a pup was when guests arrived he was told to sit/stay on this rug at the top of the stairs...I instructed our guests to ignore him. For whatever reason this worked. Now when guests come over he will come up to them and sniff, they greet him, then he's usually done with them...unless it's my dad who he absolutely adores and loves attention from him, but he's not jumping on him.

It just takes repetition and help from the guests. Good luck
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

For me, having the dog on leash has also worked best. My dogs tend to be very excited when people first show up since we don't have company that often, but they always calm down and are fine after the initial novelty wears off. We have a big rug at the end of the entry, and I put them in a down on that, on leash, while people come in. I release them to get up but keep them on leash, and after awhile I drop the leashes and let them drag them, until I'm sure they're not going to jump on anyone, and then we take the leashes off. Having people ignore them during all of this really helps.

It's a joint effort - if I have the leashes, Tom has to answer the door, but it works.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.