How to: Whining and Whimpering - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How to: Whining and Whimpering

I'm guessing its just going to take time ... but she's whining a lot, mostly just when crated, but when crated she goes absolutely balistic! I'm almost positive its loud enough for the neighbors to hear through the walls, and they must think we're torturing the poor girl.

Anyone have any tips on training quietness, a command, or tactic that they used.

I don't want to put her crate in my bedroom, because I know I'll have to go through the same anxiety issues when we decide to move the crate out of the bedroom later on.

Keep in mind she's only 9 weeks old ... so I mean I can understand if time is all its going to take ... I just wanted to check and see if there is something I can be doing to help her along in the transition!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pimg is nearly 5 years old and whines constantly. My trainer is a GSD breeder and dubbed it "the german shepherd whine." I think to some extent, the breed whines a lot. That said- at least with my dog- she has no lines to speak of and it's likely the consequence of really crappy breeding. Poor girl- it's not her fault... But yes- it is ANNOYING!

Looking forward to suggestions for the OP. I will certainly keep track of this thread.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Put the crate in the bedroom at night with you right beside the bed. When she starts whimpering put your fingers in there for her to smell. A couple nights of this,she should be settling down. After she is use to the crate changing locations should be no big deal, but babies always want to be with someone.
A clock that tick tocks is soothing for a pup, place one nearby her crate if you have one.

Put her in the crate when she is tired so she'll see that it is a good place to rest. Give her a couple of treats when you put her in.
Feed her her meals in her crate and leave her in there for a bit afterwards. When she is quiet let her out.
Don't let her out if she is pitching a fit, then she'll see that is a way to "win" her way out, and the noise will continue.
I was very lucky, my pups breeder had them use to crates before they came home so the transition was so much easier on him....leaving his littermates, was bad enough, but already being use to a crate was less stress. I also brought a couple crate pads to the breeder previously for the familiar scent later, not sure if it made any difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had read about getting the scent, but my breeder was 800 miles from home, so I didn't have that option.

I guess I'll have to try moving the crate, it seems like the common suggestion. I'm such a helicopter parent, constantly hovering. I've read so much about the breed and training before picking her up, that I keep expecting her to be perfectly behaved all the time (my mistake, not hers)

I tend to overlook all of the good things she's done since coming home. She has had like 5% of accidents inside, and she fetched and brought back a tennis ball 13 times straight yesterday without getting distracted. She's been well behaved around company, her only weakness has been the whining ... and I guess its only a weakness because I can't handle it.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try and make the transition tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/Dev...talStages.html
is a great site to look thru/many articles> http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/behavior.html
I would let her have some alone time so she does get use to you not being around every second, that can create problems too! Separation anxiety is very hard to overcome. But for now, love her every second! her pic in your avatar is adorable!
She was born on my Onyx's 4th birthday!

Last edited by onyx'girl; 01-08-2011 at 04:21 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What onyx'girl said is just what I would have said too. Definitely move her next to the bed, put a stuffed toy in with her, a tshirt you've worn. Pop her in without any words or excitement. You might want to cover part of the crate with an old towel or blanket to make a den. I've taught the quiet command using a clicker. When she really starts tuning up, click and treat as soon as she stops, even if it's just to take a big breath. You'll have to be really fast, don't give a command just click and treat when she stops. When she starts catching on, give the quiet or hush or whatever command you want to use, then click and treat when she stops whining. I know it's annoying and you feel like yelling at her but try to make it a fun game for her. You can start with the all purpose "eh eh" sound and when that gets her attention and she's quiet you can treat and praise her for being quiet. Good luck!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

You can also put a radio next to her crate so she has noise. Maybe a stuffed animal to cuddle up against and something of yours with your scent on it. That's what we did with Jackie and she never cried in her crate. Now she only has her blanket and no more radio and she still doesn't cry. In fact, she goes in her crate even when she doesn't have to and hangs out.

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
littlebit722 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks again guys ... I'm pretty optimistic heading into tonight!
Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Remember my motto: A glass of wine solves everything!
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

when i was crate training i use to put my pup
in his crate for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. i did
this many times during the course of the day.
sometimes i would stay in the room where he was crated
and sometimes i would leave the room and or the house.
i did this over and over. i slowly increased his time in his crate.
over night i took my pup out every 2 hours. going out every 2 hours might not be necessary but my pup never had an accident in his crate
over night. the only time he had an accident in his crate was when he ws sick and even then it was my fault for leaving him in his for to long of
a period.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.