More States Mandating Animal Abusers to Register as Offenders - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By wolfy dog
  • 2 Post By cloudpump
  • 1 Post By Pirates Lair

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

More States Mandating Animal Abusers to Register as Offenders

It’s about time! More states are requiring animal abusers to register as animal offenders, and we couldn’t be more pleased.

Tennessee has an animal offenders registry that requires animal abusers to register in a similar fashion to how sex offenders are registered once convicted, following the likes of ones in New York and Florida and even European countries.

Related: Logan’s Law Will Mandate Animal Abusers Registry, Tougher Penalties

Now several jurisdictions across the United States have introduced animal offender registries, and these registries allow the public to know about animal abusers in their area. Right now, Tennessee is the only state that has a registry, but smaller localities like New York City and Cook County in Illinois have them, with other counties and states in the country following suit.

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation (TBI) monitors the Tennessee registry and anyone can access information at the TBI or offices in any county of Tennessee. The information the on the registry details an abuser’s name, birthday, offense, conviction date and date that their conviction expires. Pet shops and breeders will be able to use this information to better serve their pets and to ensure their safety when moving to new homes.

Animal abusers who are convicted for the first time must register for two years and they will receive an additional five years in the registry every time they are convicted of subsequent offenses.

To register, convicted users will have to pay a $50 registration fine, and abusers 18 and older have to supply a picture and any aliases they may have. Failure to register, may mean a year in prison and a fine up to $1,000.

Related: Doctors Say Pet Abuse Should Raise Red Flags About Domestic Violence

Convicted abusers will be made to pay a $50 registration fine. All abusers 18 or older must supply a recent photo as well as any aliases they go by. If you fail to register, you’ll face a year in prison and a fine of up to $1,000.

The model in Tennessee is based on one in Suffolk County, New York. Suffolk County is in the eastern part of Long Island, and was the first principality in the country to develop a registry for animal offenders. John Cooper, Suffolk County Legislator says that research shows a strong correlation between those who abuse animals and those who participate in domestic violence. Evidence also shows that almost every serial killer at one time tortured animals, so he hopes that lives could possibly be saved by identifying and cataloging those who may end up being eventual abusers of humans.

~Petguide.com

For Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Petguide.com; 06-15-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

What is considered animal abuse? How about the use of prong and e collars, outdoor kennels? I am sure many people consider this animal abuse. Is it defined somewhere? How about cropping and docking?
lhczth and angelas like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
What is considered animal abuse? How about the use of prong and e collars, outdoor kennels? I am sure many people consider this animal abuse. Is it defined somewhere? How about cropping and docking?

Agreed. I've seen some ridiculous rules being made from people too far removed from animals to understand them. Otherwise, I'm all for this. Some sort of list would be good for breeders and rescues if they took the time to check it. 

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Any training technique that is not a spoonful of peanut butter
wolfy dog and car2ner like this.

I googled my answer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:23 PM
Crowned Member

Another one: running alongside my bike. Or my skinny Whippets from the past. Don't get me wrong, I am glad that true animal abusers are nailed but just hope that common sense prevails.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 07:28 PM

I think this is a great idea, to add a little more on this subject. True animal abuse can be linked to Sexual Child Abuse (some times the POS Oxygen Thief will hurt or threaten to hurt the child's pet to keep the child quiet).

As I understand it, in some States it is Mandatory for Social Workers to report any child neglect/abuse investigations to the SPCA if an animal is present in the home and vice versa for the SPCA.

It is important to understand that violent people have violent pastimes , when you or I go to the Movies for a night out........they go to a Dog/**** fight.

Misuse of training equipment is ignorance, sometimes abuse but rarely.

Kim
danica likes this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Seems everything goes as animal abuse these days.

The notion of having dogs working is considered abuse to some people.

Some people think it's abuse to keep dogs outside.

Lobo-2 Year Old German Shepherd Mix(?)
Follow him on Instagram for your dose of adorableness @lobo_ramos15 (Family Friendly)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page