Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperG
  • 1 Post By Steve Strom
  • 1 Post By SuperG
  • 2 Post By Steve Strom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish?

Quote:
You’ve heard that when someone gets stung by a jellyfish, you pee on the wound. But what do you do when it happens to your dog?

For those of us with pets that enjoy the great outdoors, we know that natural perils exist. From nosy cats and bee stings to playful pooches that get the wrong end of a skunk (or porcupine); stuff happens.

One has to wonder what you do when the more 'exotic' injury occurs like a snake bite or worse… you’re walking along a beach when Rover steps on a jellyfish!

I can tell you from googling sites for human stings that any interaction with these gelatinous blobs hurts. Seriously hurts. So you’re going to need to jump in with quick and decisive assistance ASAP in order to minimize the pain and actually prevent the injury from spreading.

Right off the mark, understand that this type of injury isn’t akin to a bee sting that will diminish over time. A jellyfish sting releases thousands of extremely small barbs that hook into your skin and release venom. Get the picture? The venom typically causes a painful red rash but can also result in illness so take it seriously.
Read more about Do You Lift a Leg When Your Dog is Stung by Jellyfish? at PetGuide.com.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 01:19 PM
Crowned Member

No jelly fish in my neck of the woods....but I have read about this....it seems there is a school of thought suggesting peeing on a jellyfish sting actually makes matters worse as "the pH of urine is closer to that of water than vinegar, and it can cause the nematocytes to swell and release more venom, worsening the sting".

However...as far as "lifting a leg"....my first dog..he was a slow learner on lifting his leg to pee...so when we would be out in the woods...and nature called...I used to lift my leg and show him how it was done.....smart dog....quit squatting shortly after that.......

SuperG
Casto likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
No jelly fish in my neck of the woods....but I have read about this....it seems there is a school of thought suggesting peeing on a jellyfish sting actually makes matters worse as "the pH of urine is closer to that of water than vinegar, and it can cause the nematocytes to swell and release more venom, worsening the sting".

However...as far as "lifting a leg"....my first dog..he was a slow learner on lifting his leg to pee...so when we would be out in the woods...and nature called...I used to lift my leg and show him how it was done.....smart dog....quit squatting shortly after that.......

SuperG
Is there a link or video you can share?

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:08 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
You can't use fake swear words on here, and you want him to pull that out?

I mean share that with,,,, uh, link,,, hmm.
SuperG likes this.

Last edited by Steve Strom; 07-27-2016 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Unsure about acceptable phrasing? Phraseology? What I can get away with?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
You can't use fake swear words on here, and you want him to pull that out?
Lolol!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma13 View Post
That video may have been in my " Training tips 101" collection......okay....that's just too easy a set up for Steve.

SuperG
dogma13 likes this.

Hündin 32CACT, 2334CSAT, 2016 GAA 2.85
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:27 PM
Knighted Member

Ouch, that burns G.

I mean stings.
SuperG and dogma13 like this.

Last edited by Steve Strom; 07-27-2016 at 05:32 PM. Reason: jellyfish thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page