What is a Limited Ingredient Diet? (Sponsored) - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By EdwardMH

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Post What is a Limited Ingredient Diet? (Sponsored)

The topic that pet parents are most likely chatting about in the dog park has to be the growing popularity of limited ingredient diets (LIDs). Also referred to as simple recipes, LIDs tend to believe that less is more.

It’s not uncommon to hear about dogs who have developed sensitivities to some of the ingredients commonly used in dog foods, such as chicken, beef, dairy, egg, wheat, soy or corn. Limited ingredient diets may be simply formulated with a paired down ingredient list or designed to avoid ingredients that are known to cause food sensitivities in dogs. Some LIDs even offer the best of both worlds by crafting recipes that provide the complete and balanced nutrition from a reduced number of ingredients while avoiding those known to aggravate food sensitivities in dogs – this is no easy task! Whatever the strategy, LIDs are nutritious recipes ideal for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs.

5 Features of a Limited Ingredient Diet for Dogs

Keeping it simple, especially when it comes to your dog’s diet, can offer a host of benefits. Here are the top five features of many Limited Ingredient Diets:

1. Unique animal protein source: LIDs often feature less common animal proteins like Lamb, Salmon or Duck and tend to avoid chicken or beef ingredients, since they are among the most common animal protein ingredients that dogs may be sensitive to.

2. Carefully Selected Ingredients. Many LIDs avoid ingredients that commonly cause food sensitivities in pets. Some also try to limit the number of ingredients in the recipe. Carefully selecting only a few ingredients can help limit the opportunity for food sensitivity in dogs.

3. Digestive Health: LIDs can deliver digestive health benefits from easily digestible ingredients and/or the right balance of fiber for healthy stool quality.

4. Skin and Coat Health: Many LIDs offer nutrition to help promote healthy skin and coat.

5. Healthy Immune System: Recipes may be rich in antioxidants, such as vitamin C and vitamin E, which help promote a healthy immune system.

If you’re thinking of changing your dog to a limited ingredient diet, try NUTRO™ Limited Ingredient Diets – like their Lamb & Rice Recipe. These recipes are ideal for dogs with sensitive skin and stomachs. With patented levels of Linoleic Acid (Omega-6) and Zinc with B Vitamins and wholesome, easily digestible ingredients like rice, these recipes guarantee healthy digestion and a soft shiny coat or your money back! It’s important to remember that it can take 8 to 12 weeks before you see a visible difference in your dog.

And don’t forget about treats! If you’re changing your dog’s diet to a limited ingredient diet recipe, you should also change his treats. It’s a good thing that the NUTRO™ brand has you covered with its Grain Free Adult Biscuits featuring Lamb or Turkey as the #1 ingredient!

Learn more about NUTRO™ Limited Ingredient Diets like Lamb & Rice Recipe, available for puppies, adults and seniors, in kibble and cans. You can purchase the whole line of NUTRO™ Limited Ingredient Diet products online or in store at Petco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:41 PM
Banned

I suggest you go to consumer affairs and read about NUTRO and it's manufacturer.

Then read about the FDA investigation(s).

Just my opinion!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 04:51 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

It's always good advice for people to do their own research and decide for themselves.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM

I decided to do my own research and after googling NUTRO, FDA, and Recall in the past Month and Year I found several recent sites posted about recalls... BUT! Not one of those sites had anything more recent than July 2009. It infuriates me when people try to recycle old news or events as current day facts My Breeder and myself off and on have used NUTRO products for some time for our Shiloh Shepherds with no issues.

PLEASE! folks research ANY advice on the internet be it health, food, supplements, toys, ANYTHING sure use peoples post as a guide but do your own due diligence and protect yourselves and your pets. Misinformation is the norm these days and it is up to us to find the truth because NO ONE cares for us and our pets more than we do ourselves.

(If this post is not welcomed please delete it and let me know so I do not do it again).

Edward, Smokey and Dante'
Flashmom likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 PM

Research should include price too, I have no doubt Nutro is good pet food but so are other brands, it comes down to price comparison when you pick the two or three brands you think are best.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:26 AM

I have been doing my own research on this and with my puppies allergies it is almost impossible to find a puppy food that has salmon as the main protein !! She is allergic to the common things and not so common.. Lol
I am trying to find a puppy food that has no... Chicken, lamb or beef and no corn, wheat,dairy,soy or grain. When I look at the label on the bag of food that is duck or fish protein , it also states that it has some kind of chicken by product or chicken fat in it.. Lol I've tried the venison and wild turkey and she doesn't seem to like it.. I've thought about going raw but still not sure how to do that proper.. :-(
Still have a lot of research to do. I've also heard the good and bad on the blue buffalo about the high protein ? Any suggestions ??? My puppy is 4 1/2 month old gsd and poor baby is already eat up with food allergies ... Trying to find a limited ingredients diet. I've found a few but it is for adult dogs, think it would be ok? Please any advice would be great.. Thank you
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Knighted Member

Some commercial foods that are labeled as L-I-D don't have enough fat or other nutrients in them for growing puppies. It's a problem. I was advised against feeding Natural Balance L-I-D to a puppy, for example.

Have you considered the dehydrated offerings by the Honest Kitchen? It's expensive, but they have a few dehydrated foods that are "all life stages" (not all are).

You might also look at Monica Segal's site for nutritionally balanced home-cooked options. She could formulate a customized, balanced, age-appropriate recipe for you too (for a consultation fee).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrygrl8571 View Post
I have been doing my own research on this and with my puppies allergies it is almost impossible to find a puppy food that has salmon as the main protein !! She is allergic to the common things and not so common.. Lol
I am trying to find a puppy food that has no... Chicken, lamb or beef and no corn, wheat,dairy,soy or grain. When I look at the label on the bag of food that is duck or fish protein , it also states that it has some kind of chicken by product or chicken fat in it.. Lol I've tried the venison and wild turkey and she doesn't seem to like it.. I've thought about going raw but still not sure how to do that proper.. :-(
Still have a lot of research to do. I've also heard the good and bad on the blue buffalo about the high protein ? Any suggestions ??? My puppy is 4 1/2 month old gsd and poor baby is already eat up with food allergies ... Trying to find a limited ingredients diet. I've found a few but it is for adult dogs, think it would be ok? Please any advice would be great.. Thank you
Fromm has two salmon only foods. They are for adults, but if you compare all the ingredients with large breed puppy food, you will find a lot of similarities. I had the same problem with protein sources. I switched mine to adult food right around 7 months.

I guess this is an ad for Nutro? So I won't share my experiences with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page