Study: Hugging Your Dog Stresses Him Out - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 PM

I notice this sometimes, at times I have been all over my dog and getting lots of cuddles, and since then i have stopped doing this, I noticed that he would lick his lips and feel some anxiety.

I do, however, still have a lot of touch with him, im just less in his face, and I often allow him to make the decision too, when he chooses to hug me or be close to me it seems like he is fulfilling his desire to be close to me, rather than me pinning him down haha. if i choose to sit on the grass outside, he will often just come and sit and lean against me.

I have seen people interact with dogs, and they treat their dog like a teddy bear and it seems that this stresses the dog.

I wonder how the emotional state of the human touching the dog affects the dog's stress levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 PM

My boy is a "what's in it for me" so he seeks me out because I know the sweet spots that makes him roll his eyes and turn to Jello. I also found that he will stay for hugs longer if the hug is loose and not binding.

When my daughter comes home for a visit, she usually greets him by sitting on the floor, grabbing him to her and kissing his snout. (She is a young adult and he adores her). When she first did this with him, he just put up with it. Now he goes to her and presses his snout to her face wanting the kisses.

I think hugging is a "learn to like" human expression.

I often wonder how dogs feel the very first time they see a human pull back their lips and show their teeth (aka a smile) because we all know what that means in general dog language.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Study
Now that we understand why dogs dislike being hugged, observing for signs of stress can determine if the dog is tolerating your touchy-feelyness or not. Here are some things to look for:
  • Yawning
  • Raising one paw
  • Licking their lips or your face
  • Looking away or closing their eyes
  • Ears lowered or pressing against their head
  • Half moon eye: When you can see a portion of the whites of their eyes
I love how almost every possible move a dog can do is on the list.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:27 AM
Knighted Member

I was trying to read this article but between the Yorkie snuggled into my right side, and the German Shepherd trying to climb into my lap for a hug I couldn't see the screen. In reality every dog, every person is different, but mine all want to be touching me if they can. Hugs, and rubs are the way we roll.

Karen
Tessa ~ GSD ~ 06-08-2011
Della ~ GSD ~ 03-17-2014
Daisy ~Yorkie ~ 2007

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah I think they make this up as they go! Lol!
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Knighted Member

Varik isn't really into petting, hugging or anything else. He's the very first dog I've had that DIDN'T enjoy that kind of stuff. Very disheartening for me as I'm a tactile person. However, to his credit, he doesn't seem to mind (not necessarily solicit or 'enjoy', but tolerates well) if I'm doing the hugging. If my husband or son do it, then it's all snarls and vocalizations of protest.

He enjoys butt scritches ... that's what he solicits. Just don't hug him .. unless you're me.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:36 PM

my ridgie mix used to give us "dog hugs". When we came home she would nuzzle her head under under our arm right in the arm pit. If I sat on the couch with my feet on the coffee table, she would go under my legs and then sit so that her back would knock my legs over. She enjoyed a bit of wrestling now and then. But to wrap my arms around her and hug, she wasn't really into that.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief one and a half years old

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:37 PM

I know Dante loves my hugs! Specially when I come home from work. He will come over with his ears pulled back and just lean up against my legs waiting for me to give him a hug and then scratch his butt. It's our routine when we see each other.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 12:42 PM
Crowned Member

Lucky did not like hugs at first or people in his face . The fce thing was an always. I think its individual dogs. Charlie buries her face in me if I'm laying down or siting and she does chair bear when I come home whereshe gets in the chair leans on the back and into me and we hug. Daisy was a hugger herself. Luck as he got older solicited full body hugs where I would hug him after he went between my legs, sometimes I had to hug him to save my balance. Chevy was a lay on top of you type cuddler and Thunder was good w/ kisses and hugs. Don't remember yawning or lip[ licking with either. Maybe we are all outliers.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:07 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I didn't read the article, but I wonder though - if these were submitted photographs, how many of the dogs were being hugged by their owners? Most dogs that are completely comfortable being hugged by their owners, may show some stress when being hugged by someone else.

Just something to keep in mind.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page