Demodectic Mange--Natural Treatments? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2007, 11:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Demodectic Mange--Natural Treatments?

This new guy I'm adopting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...783#Post537783)

has a mild case of demodectic mange. He has a patch without hair on his side and his bottom lip is all leathery looking. The vet did a scrape and cultured it.

Has anyone treated this naturally? I know that good food and boosting the immune system will help. Anything topical I can use or any specific herbs or supplements people have used?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Demodectic Mange--Natural Treatments?

I have a file on this somewhere, but I won't have time to look for it for a couple of days....

congratulations on the "new guy"....didn't have time to look at the thread -- how old? when was he last vaccinated, do you know? are they going to give him more vaccines before you get him?

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaTI have a file on this somewhere, but I won't have time to look for it for a couple of days....

congratulations on the "new guy"....didn't have time to look at the thread -- how old? when was he last vaccinated, do you know? are they going to give him more vaccines before you get him?
Well, that's the bad news. The guy didn't have the money to take him to the vet when he first got him so he gave him a bath and fed him. This is a kind hearted person who took in a dog who turned up in his yard and has been looking for a home for him. A local rescue posted him as a courtesy listing and that's where I saw him. His mom gave him money to take him to the vet so he finally took him in last week and had everything done at once (including a neuter) and that's when they diagnosed the mange.

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-27-2007, 01:03 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stupid vet.

Stupid, stupid vet.

still young/puppy, or adult? that may make a difference on how the dog responds to treatment.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The vet says 1 to 1.5. I say closer to 1 based on his feet and how much of a puppy he looks in his first pictures 3 months ago.

And yes, stupid vet. She also put him on abx for the mange?????? And that is giving the poor guy the runs and making him throw up too.

So far I've gotten the advice to do sulphur (homeopathic), goldenseal, zinc, vit. C and do an apple cider vinegar rinse.

Here is a picture where you can see the patch on the side (in front of his hip) and one of his lower lip. His lower lip is leathery looking. That's where they took the culture from.

**pics deleted by mod, too large**

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I used 500 mg vitamin C and 400 IU of vitamin E given at night, added canned mackaral ( half a hand full if that) given twice a day at feeding, added solid gold seameal twice a day. Supporting the immune system IMO is the best way to help the body "fight back". Also look at your food. You want a good digestable high quality food but with no preservatives.
borzoimom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 09:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Here's a link to a holistic cure for demodectic and sarcoptic mange that uses a mix of 1% hydrogen peroxide,water and borax powder

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/dog_mange_cure.html

A lot of the people claim to have good results after treatment and it's a cheap alternative and maybe worth a try. I know what you're going through because I have a 1 1/2 yr old male GSD that has a localized form of demodectic mange around his eyes and ears.....
[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I first noticed some loss of hair on one of Lugers ears back in early spring and took him to my vet and the scraping found one mite.The vet recommended a Lyme dip a few weeks apart.....The area on his ear seemed to get better on it's own after a few days and I never bothered doing the dip treatment.Just last month the problem has reoccured again and now seems to be spreading around his eyes and mouth.....Not wanting to do the traditional toxic treatment of a weekly Amitraz (Mitaban) my vet suggested...... I looked for a safer less toxic remedy and came across the proxide/borax treatment and have bathed the dog weekly and while it did seem to help with the itching and scratching it didn't seem to cure the mange.

I've also had good results from the itching using a medicated shampoo called MICRO TEK and medicated spay it's used on horses for skin problems but also work for dogs. http://www.eqyss.com/

It seems at least in my situation the mange seems to be triggered by stress I noticed when my 3yr old female came into heat the younger male would have the demodectic flare up around the same time. I've been adding the canine supplement VERTEX along with salmon oil and have seem some improvement in the last few weeks.
mckey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are alot of things I would go the holistic route on....but mange needs to be tackled as quickly as you can to avoid further issues. I trust the oral ivermectin method, seeing it work wonders on many, many fosters. His poor immune system is dealing with enough right now, it doesn't need to be taxed more with having to fight off mites which can be very resistant to any topical treatments. They burrow deep into the hair shaft so most baths, shampoos, liquids, etc are not going to get it....it may make them look better for a short while but they will come back.

I know you will get him on good food and supplements which will make a huge difference, but in my opinion, to really kill the mites and let his body spend its energy on other things, I'd go with ivermectin treatment properly dosed out by your vet. The antibotics are normally also needed for secondary skin issues associated with the mites.

Good luck....he is a beautiful boy....I'm so happy to see you find a good match for your pack!!!!
www.nobleshepherdrescue.com

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG: http://nsrapollo.blogspot.com/

Raven: 1997-2007
Avamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please don't use homeopathic remedies- esp. not sulphur- unless you know what you're doing and know how the remedies act and what to look out for.
I've treated mange in a foster dog (and a parakeet) without drugs. I've tried the lemon/garlic rinse recommended by Juliette deBaracli Levy on the dog, but it didn't sooth the itching. Dilluted Neem oil & Lavender EO/or hydrosol (in the bird) did the trick (among with supplements).
Maedchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2007, 11:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I know this is not a homeopathic treatment, but my girl was just diagnosed with Demodex last Friday. I had noticed a spot on her leg and we had it checked out. Sure enough it was Demodex. She was not given any oral antibiotic, but he did give us a topical cream called Goodwinol to put on the spot once a day for 30 days. Just wanted to throw that out there as treatment as well. Seems to be doing the trick!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.