Wondercide cedar, nematodes and ticks - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wondercide cedar, nematodes and ticks

I just finished a conversation with Meredith at Wondercide. I am a little disappointed and thought I'd share what I learned.

I recently purchased $50 worth of EcoTreat and $70 for beneficial nematodes hoping I would be able to kill whatever ticks may be in my yard. The Wondercide website states their EcoTreat outdoor pest treatment is not harmful to beneficial insects. When I asked about nematodes she said they did not have any data to suggest it is safe for beneficial nematodes.

I am fairly certain nematodes are probably not classed as insects so I can't find any fault with their statement but it would be nice if they had either more test studies or they had a statement regarding nematodes particularly since their customers are people who are looking for less harmful methods of pest control.

I've used the indoor Wondercide spray and it does kill ticks if you get them with a direct hit but residual action is pretty poor.

I will be returning the EcoTreat and go with the nematodes this time around.
Lynn & Traveler
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

I should clarify that I purchased the nematodes from a different site, not Wondercide. Not sure I was clear on that.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I got my nematodes from Arbico Organics and they have different types depending on the pests. The phone help there is very comprehensive. They may also know if cedar oils damage the nematodes or not. .............I was very pleased with the results.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 05:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Sort of on topic - I was thinking of purchasing the Windercide spray for Mikko. Do you think that it could cause respiratory problems?

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Nancy,

That's where I purchased my nematodes from based on your recommendation in another post. Good idea- I'll call them.

I love my Mikko,

Traveler didn't have any problems with the cedar spray initially. I did notice that after using it on and off for a few months that his eyes started getting goopey. I cannot say for sure that this was from the cedar but I did read there are a number of dogs that are highly allergic to cedar.

Right now, I'm fighting a staph infection with him. We are on our second round of antibiotics and weekly washings with Douxo shampoo. I *think* it started one of two ways- either excessive scratching due to those &^*^& brown dog ticks or newly laid down cedar mulch. If it's the mulch, that doesn't necessarily form a straight line to cedar since I recently---too late--- found out lots of mulch is loaded with ticks. I could be my own worst enemy!
Old 05-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Oy. Well the nematodes.....application can be a bit tricky. They are not evenly distributed in the block ......So I made successive dilutions and used them ASAP! I chose the dusk application because I figured that gave them the most time to get comfy before the sun came out. I am getting ready to order mine. We had some late low temps so I wanted to be sure it would not get too cold.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2014, 12:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up, Nancy. Good to know. I was thinking dusk as well since we haven't seen temps below 85-88 in weeks. Don't want to cook them.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just heard back from Arbico Organics. Talk about great customer service!!

She said lay down the nematodes- wait a week then lay down the Ecotreat cedar oil from Wondercide and the nematodes should be ok.

Just an FYI if anyone is interested. I asked about DE and nematodes and she said I should follow the same route- put down the nematodes then wait a week before applying DE.

Lynn and Traveler
Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hi Lynn! Thanks so much for all your feedback and we're so sorry we were unable to provide more detailed information upon your first contact. Since you first reached out we've been in touch with several outlets, including a nematode retailer, to help provide you with the most complete information possible as to the use of Wondercide with nematodes. It sounds like you've already gotten some great information, but we just wanted to follow-up and help in any way possible.

Nematodes live in soil and thrive in moist areas. Drenching the soil would possibly affect the nematodes if you were using straight cedar oil, but only because they need a moist environment and the oil would obviously inhibit that. If using EcoTreat, it's possible the first layer of nematodes would be affected, but waiting a week as Arbico suggested would greatly reduce any risk.

As far as Wondercide products causing respiratory problems, we have not had any reported cases of this and there is nothing toxic in the solution. Each animal is different with different sensitivities, so we would suggest testing a small area first if your pet has known allergies or sensitivities.

We hope this helps but please let us know if we can provide any further clarification or assistance!
Wondercide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercide View Post
Hi Lynn! Thanks so much for all your feedback and we're so sorry we were unable to provide more detailed information upon your first contact. Since you first reached out we've been in touch with several outlets, including a nematode retailer, to help provide you with the most complete information possible as to the use of Wondercide with nematodes. It sounds like you've already gotten some great information, but we just wanted to follow-up and help in any way possible.

Nematodes live in soil and thrive in moist areas. Drenching the soil would possibly affect the nematodes if you were using straight cedar oil, but only because they need a moist environment and the oil would obviously inhibit that. If using EcoTreat, it's possible the first layer of nematodes would be affected, but waiting a week as Arbico suggested would greatly reduce any risk.

As far as Wondercide products causing respiratory problems, we have not had any reported cases of this and there is nothing toxic in the solution. Each animal is different with different sensitivities, so we would suggest testing a small area first if your pet has known allergies or sensitivities.

We hope this helps but please let us know if we can provide any further clarification or assistance!
Curious about this comment as I have been planning to order EcoTreat, however, I am renting and my landlord would kill me if this affects grass and possibly his garden...he doesn't use pesticides which is great! and is planning on bringing in mushroom mulch for veggie garden...I don't want to damage.

Please advise.

Also, he mulches leaves/grass (leaves clippings) which nourish lawn...we barely have any weeds, however, does this contribute to harbouring fleas/ticks and will it affect getting product to the little beasties to kill?
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.