Dogs Naturally article on 'Naturally Immunizing' - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Dogs Naturally article on 'Naturally Immunizing'

Prevent Parvo and Distemper Without Vaccination | Dogs Naturally Magazine

What do you guys think about this article?

I am all for following a limited vaccination schedule, and doing titers, but this article is suggesting you purposely try to expose your puppies to parvo & distemper by taking them to ponds that raccoons are known to frequent.

It's also saying that pups have higher survival rates when treated with homeopathic medicine than conventional medicine. Which is fine and dandy, but is it not better to prevent it, rather than treat it?

Considering the high mortality rate of the diseases, and the fact that the AVMA published a journal stating that 95%+ and 97%+ of dogs vaccinated have lifelong immunity, it seems silly to take the risk?

Thoughts?

When I expressed my disapproval to the article on the FB group, my comments were deleted and I was banned. Am I the only one who think this article is putting dangerous ideas into people's heads?
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2014, 11:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I agree with you i think there's a lot in that magazine I like but some stuff is just wacky an off the wall

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

i find it amusing that so many shun the so called big pharma in favor of natural treatments when natural treatments cost way more than conventional medications
i looked up parvaid once and it is very expensive plus you have to wait for it to arrive when everyone knows every second counts when treating parvo

people will always buy dangerous ideas like this because they sound so convincing and they are already convinced vets are evil and cause disease just so they can have clients
strange ideas at the very least
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I just think it's so dangerous to give out that advice. And the fact that anyone who disagrees with banned is just nuts. So anyone reading their FB page and seeing all the glowing comments, just keep in mind they delete the negative reviews and ban the people who posted them.

Two thumbs down for DN for me.

The first time they posted the article (which garnered overwhelmingly negative feedback - the whole link ended up being deleted) I sent the link to Dr Jean Dobbs' assistant. She said they had just received it from someone else and Dr Dobbs was unsure about whether or she should respond to it in her blog. I wish she had, someone should.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Nancy, some of their stuff makes sense but other stuff like this article just has me shaking my head. No thank you, I would never consider not vaccinating my puppy and then deliberately try to make them sick with something that can kill them

Oh wait, because it's natural that makes it better, yeah try telling that to me when I'm walking out of their office after my 12 week old puppy just died. I'm going to feel so much better that I didn't poison my dog with that vaccine before they died...

If my vet told me to do that, I’d be walking out seconds afterwards. Wacky stuff, seriously. Do I vaccinate every year? Heck no and I do agree that over vaccinating can cause serious problem. I'm not willing to bet those odds, but if a doctor like Dr. Dodd's who has spent decades researching vaccines says to give the puppy series and my vet who I do trust agrees with her then that's what I'll do. Minimized risk

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Dr Dodds, not Dobbs. lol

My sister's doctor is Dr Dobbs.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I completely agree - I LOVE a lot of the articles in Dogs Naturally, but this one sticks out to me as being one that can cause some serious problems with people who see the article, think "well its in a magazine"...then go out and follow it without a second thought.

I keep up with Dr. Dodd's protocols and follow her blog. She has a very limited puppy protocol with vaccines that I trust and follow, so I will continue to do so.
N Smith is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

They also have an article on "leptomania" that I also think irresponsible and off the wall and claims vaccines don't even work. This is from another site but I think I first saw it there and this Dr Jordan is fequently cited on Dogs Naturally.

LEPTOMANIA - THE PROBLEM WITH LEPTOSPIROSIS VACCINE, by Patricia Jordan, DVM

I have not given the lepto shots and my decision is supported by another article that makes more sense to me...but it is a tough call.

This vet (link below) actually is NOT against vaccines, even not against giving a lepto vaccine but has some info to consider. I know when I read the Pfizer study my jaw dropped at just how limited it was and you can't even see the Merial study. (I was going to do the shot this year but her dog had a reaction to the Merial vaccine which has no adjuvant)

Is One Vaccine Dose Size Right For All Dogs ?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles

Last edited by jocoyn; 04-10-2014 at 01:31 PM.
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

realizing there is a risk no matter what you do.

this exactly
nobody is going to live forever and neither are our pets
we do the best for them while we have them and we do the best for ourselves
but just because it is natural doesn't mean it is safe
my boy diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2014, 01:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

I am on my 4th litter of UNVACCINATED Chinese Cresteds. They get nothing until they reach 1 yr of age and then only Rabies.

We run an all-breed lure coursing club on our property and can have upwards of 100 dogs on our property each weekend. I have no requirements for vaccinations for dogs coming here.

As long as the weather is ok, my Crested puppies are out in the same area as all those dogs. I believe in exposing them to things so they can build their own immunities - naturally.

But I also believe they need to have a natural diet to help support their immune system.

I have had Parvo here once. We had to get a kennel license when we moved here in order to make our 6 dogs legal. Now, every year the come and inspect our 'kennel' (the house) and check the dogs. I had 6 week old puppies at the time and I asked the inspector to come to my place BEFORE he went anywhere else. 6 days after he was here my puppies presented with Parvo. Turns out he went to another kennel first.

Of the 4 puppies, one never got sick, 2 got sick but recovered within a couple days and the last puppy was very sick but recovered after about 7 days. I used Colloidal Silver enemas in addition to the Parvaid (which they ship next day) and sub-q fluids (given at home).

Having lost a dog to an immune system disorder brought on by over vaccinating I decided to my research and follow the plan I have going now. One of the puppies from my last litter was just placed in a home at 7 months of age. Her owners wanted to vaccinate her but instead I am paying for them to do titers on her to see where her immunities are and THEN decide if she needs anything.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.