Tea Tree Oil - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Tea Tree Oil

I just wanted to remind people not to use this on their animals. I have seen tea tree oil recommended here in the past

Tea Tree Oil and Dogs, Tea Tree Oil and Cats

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use tea tree oil, diluted with olive oil when my dog gets a yeasty patch from not drying fully during the summer. Always worked great! My vet has never so much batted an eye at the idea and even said it was a good idea. I know not to let him eat it, and diluting it is very important. Straight tea tree oil is not good! Nor is tea tree oil good for cats. But diluted with a carrier oil, like olive oil, it can be used for many things.

The website you linked even says

Quote:
As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 04-07-2014 at 10:02 PM.
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Giving it go hoping it will help Zoey with her lick granuloma.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
Quote:
As little as 7 drops of 100% oil has resulted in severe poisoning, and applications of 10-20 mls of 100% oil have resulted in poisoning and death in both dogs and cats
It has to be diluted with a carrier oil.
exactly. You don't want to use any essential oil direct out of the bottle. Unless you're sticking it in a diffuser...

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the cashman had a terrible allergic reaction when he was young to some tea tree oil i put on him (learned that lesson fast, yes i did).
hearthside's cinderfella (RIP 4/20/09)
shep von bellefontaine (RIP 6/9/10)
voodoo lily (dsh) & cricket (african grey~RIP 7/13)
katieliz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 09:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Giving it go hoping it will help Zoey with her lick granuloma.
I used it on Traveler for this reason and it worked great. He's never had a reaction to TeaTree and I will continue to use it.
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have used it straight to deter licking and causing a granuloma...but found some in a spray bottle that is diluted...

Lee

wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

I posted this because I just read an article in my "Your dog" newsletter yesterday that comes from Tufts University (April 2014 issue) about tea tree oil.

Because it is so toxic and hard to dilute it enough to make it safe to use they don't recommend using it at all. The oil is rapidly absorbed through the skin according to the article and there is no antidote...why take the chance?

But if you want to continue to use it, knock yourself out! But some other members might appreciate the warning before they put this on their animals and that's the purpose of my post

Old 04-08-2014, 11:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidigsd View Post
I posted this because I just read an article in my "Your dog" newsletter yesterday that comes from Tufts University (April 2014 issue) about tea tree oil.

Because it is so toxic and hard to dilute it enough to make it safe to use they don't recommend using it at all. The oil is rapidly absorbed through the skin according to the article and there is no antidote...why take the chance?

But if you want to continue to use it, knock yourself out! But some other members might appreciate the warning before they put this on their animals and that's the purpose of my post
It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.
Read the link you posted - "application of 10-20 mls" The WHOLE bottle of tea tree oil is about 4 mls. So I would have to dump over two bottles of straight tea tree oil on my dog...seems hard to accidentally overdose. There are many, many things that are poisonous if given too much or used incorrectly, it certainly does not mean that they are unsafe or should not be used. Why use it? Because I'd rather use something natural on my dog than chemicals. Correct use is important and I don't think anyone recommends using it directly on skin.

By the way, if you Google tea tree oil dog, you will find lots of info from vets about its recommended use. All cites explicitly state to dilute it and not use it orally. But, many vets recommend its use for certain ailments.

Last edited by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO; 04-08-2014 at 11:19 AM.
I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO View Post
It is not hard to dilute it to make it safe. I put a few drops into a tablespoon and fill the rest of the spoon with olive oil.
Read the link you posted - "application of 10-20 mls" The WHOLE bottle of tea tree oil is about 4 mls. So I would have to dump over two bottles of straight tea tree oil on my dog...seems hard to accidentally overdose. There are many, many things that are poisonous if given too much or used incorrectly, it certainly does not mean that they are unsafe or should not be used. Why use it? Because I'd rather use something natural on my dog than chemicals. Correct use is important and I don't think anyone recommends using it directly on skin.

By the way, if you Google tea tree oil dog, you will find lots of info from vets about its recommended use. All cites explicitly state to dilute it and not use it orally. But, many vets recommend its use for certain ailments.
Did you read my last post???? By all means USE IT!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.