German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Holistic/Homeopathic Practices (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/)
-   -   Diatomaceous Earth (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/424490-diatomaceous-earth.html)

Harry and Lola 03-14-2014 11:51 PM

Diatomaceous Earth

Does any one use food grade Diatomaceous Earth on their dogs for protection against fleas and ticks?

Also, does any one feed this to their dogs to contain worms?

Glacier 03-14-2014 11:53 PM

I've fed it to my cats and I do have to say it's very effective at curbing the worms. I've also used it for pest control in the home and garden, it works wonderfully. I plan on giving it to my pup as well when he arrives.

Harry and Lola 03-14-2014 11:55 PM

That's good to hear, I have heard about it but have never used it and am considering using it internally for control of worms and externally for control of fleas and ticks.

Although I don't think it controls heartworm?

Chip18 03-15-2014 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry and Lola (Post 5203618)
That's good to hear, I have heard about it but have never used it and am considering using it internally for control of worms and externally for control of fleas and ticks.

Although I don't think it controls heartworm?

Here's a site someone posted on it.
I though I had hear seen it mentioned in conjunction with heart worm also?

Diatomaceous Earth - Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth Health Benefits

llombardo 03-15-2014 12:42 AM

I do know that you can feed it to them and put it on them. I have two small containers and had no idea what it was until I read about it hear. I think I'm buying the bigger bag and spreading it around the fence and in the yard, I just don't know how long it lasts outside? A week, until it gets wet?

Chip18 03-15-2014 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llombardo (Post 5203890)
until it gets wet?

That... you can spread it dry or mix it with water and spread, don't know the ratio. But you can do that if you can't deal with the dust.It becomes effective again when it drys. So yeah if it rains it's gone.

Harry and Lola 03-15-2014 02:13 AM

I emailed the Aussie retailer and they replied saying it won't treat or control heartworms, but will do all other intestinal worms

llombardo 03-15-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chip18 (Post 5204018)
That... you can spread it dry or mix it with water and spread, don't know the ratio. But you can do that if you can't deal with the dust.It becomes effective again when it drys. So yeah if it rains it's gone.

I wonder how to treat for flies and Mosquitos? Since they fly what do you do? I'd live to have a BBQ without them

jocoyn 03-15-2014 06:16 AM

If the dog gets in a kiddie pool or swims a lot it is not so great. Plus it is messy and dusty so I went with the Springtime garlic. Plus for ticks I would rather them not bite at all. (Be repelled) than bite, transmit disease, then shrivel up.

llombardo 03-15-2014 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 5204354)
If the dog gets in a kiddie pool or swims a lot it is not so great. Plus it is messy and dusty so I went with the Springtime garlic. Plus for ticks I would rather them not bite at all. (Be repelled) than bite, transmit disease, then shrivel up.

How much of the garlic do you use for one dog from March until November?