German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Holistic/Homeopathic Practices (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/)
-   -   Duralactin (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/416482-duralactin.html)

G-burg 02-26-2014 06:40 AM

Duralactin

Has anyone heard of this product or used it? And if so - successful or not

Duralactin - For the Long Term Manaagement of Chronic Inflammation

carmspack 02-26-2014 08:33 AM

yes -- I mentioned it on another thread recently as safe treatment , I believe replacing steroids, (?)

I was introduced to this by my holistic vet friend . The active ingredient is microLactin -- dried milk protein from super immunized dairy cattle. Back of label says "canine tablets contain MicroLactin a patented dried milk protein concentrate derived from hyperimmunized cows that contains factors that appear to block cytokines and inhibit neutrophil participation in the inflammatory response.
Duralactin canine tablets do not share the mechanisms of action of any known drug and are not cyclooxygenase (Cox 1 or Cox 2) inhibitors .
For canines only.

I think it is very good . I gave some to my old boy Simon , 12 years , and even though he was was in good "young for his age" condition , I see him just that little bit better .

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 02-26-2014 08:57 AM

I just give my dog the active ingredient, microlactin, it's a lot cheaper. You can purchase it in powder or pill form on Swanson Vitamins' website.

G-burg 02-26-2014 09:28 AM

Someone suggested I try this product, but they also mentioned Microlatin too..

I'm looking for other alternatives, pain management wise for an older dog with a back injury..

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 02-26-2014 10:28 AM

It is an anti-inflammatory, is that what you are looking for? Zeel is a natural pain reliever that is supposedly as good as other pain relievers when used for long term

G-burg 02-26-2014 11:04 AM

Anti-inflammatory, yes, but also pain management ideals..

Momto2GSDs 02-26-2014 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO (Post 5093794)
It is an anti-inflammatory, is that what you are looking for? Zeel is a natural pain reliever that is supposedly as good as other pain relievers when used for long term

GREAT suggestion ILMM!:D

For me, I'd choose a product made of natural ingredients that works over drugs any day!;)

I've never used the natural Duralactin so I cannot compare which would work better for your dog, but both worth a try.

Quote: Effectiveness of the homeopathic preparation Zeel compared with carprofen in dogs with osteoarthritis. Stephan Neumann, DVM et al. Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association, Jan/Feb 2011

In this multicenter, prospective observational study the authors found the clinical signs of osteoarthritis improved significantly at days 1, 28, and 56, following treatment daily with the homeopathic preparation Zeel (1-3 tablets daily by weight) or carprofen (similar to "Rimadyl", 4mg/kg of body weight) in dogs. Symptomatic effectiveness, lameness, stiffness, and pain on palpation at the end of the treatment period was comparable for the 2 medications. Both treatment regimens were well tolerated with only 3 treatment-related adverse events, all in the carprofen group.(J Am Anim Hosp Assoc 2011; 47:12-20.) End Quote.

Just in case you need to know the difference. Both Zeel and Traumeel are made by a company called Heel:

ZEEL: Degenerative conditions like arthritis, spondylitis, disc disease. Heel,Zeel 100 Tablets -The Natural also here Zeel 100 Tablets by Heel BHI

TRAUMEEL: Inflammation of muscles, bone, soft tissue, tendon, ligaments, nerves.

Hope your baby gets some relief!
Moms:)

WVGSD 02-26-2014 05:02 PM

I have been using Duralactin Canine and Duralactin Equine Joint Plus for years for my dogs! Love the stuff! My first experience was with the canine version, but I have since switched to the equine version because of the ingredients. My senior GSD takes it every day as does my rescued mixed breed boy that had a cruciate ligament repair. My friend also gives the Equine Joint Plus version (butter flavored pellets like rabbit food) to her arthtritic senior mule with ringbone. He now trots comfortably around his pasture.

I am sold on this stuff and plan to start taking the human version myself now.

mycobraracr 02-26-2014 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-burg (Post 5092434)
Has anyone heard of this product or used it? And if so - successful or not

Duralactin - For the Long Term Manaagement of Chronic Inflammation

My dog has been on it every day for the last year. I love it! She was jammed up on a long bite real bad and since has been getting sore after training. We put her on Duralactin and she has been good as new since.

G-burg 02-27-2014 05:13 AM

Thanks everyone..

Well, I ordered some of the Microlactin.. Fingers crossed it helps.. I'll look into the other product that as mentioned.