German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Holistic/Homeopathic Practices (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/)
-   -   I heard that Apple cider vinegar is good for itching dogs? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/376201-i-heard-apple-cider-vinegar-good-itching-dogs.html)

PhoenixGuardian 12-04-2013 08:00 PM

I heard that Apple cider vinegar is good for itching dogs?

Is this true? My shepherd, Phoenix, is HORRIBLY allergic to flea bites, as in, I have had dogs with allergies, but never this bad. His back is raw and terribly sensitive to the touch on his back. I front-lined him today (although that won't help his itching until the flea cycle is broken) and I remember on this website that someone said something about apple cider vinegar. I am desperate to give him relief, but leery on chemicals, and would prefer to give him something natural that most likely won't give have a chance of giving him a reaction. What do you guys use???
I am desperate to give him relief!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoveEcho 12-04-2013 08:02 PM

I have used 100% apple cider vinegar on irritated areas (especially yeasty ones)- I don't know if it worked, but it seemed to, and it irritated him less than the chemical stuff, including veterycin.

PhoenixGuardian 12-04-2013 08:03 PM

Did you poor it on your dog?? Or feed it to them?? Thanks for replying so fast!

BellaLuna 12-04-2013 08:05 PM

I put it in a spray bottle and mist them , I also put in their water every other day :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

BellaLuna 12-04-2013 08:17 PM

Whoops I forgot to mention I do a mixture of 50% water and 50% apple cider and I use the braggs brand..

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

LoveEcho 12-04-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhoenixGuardian (Post 4613505)
Did you poor it on your dog?? Or feed it to them?? Thanks for replying so fast!

I put it on a cotton swab.

I have also used it in yeasty ears, but with a 50% dilution.

Crocky 12-04-2013 08:31 PM

I got great advice from Moms on here to use 1/3 original listerine, 1/3 baby oil and 1/3 warm water. Now this was just for basic itchy dry skin it was not in reference to flea allergies. Not sure how it would do in relation to already irritated skin. I would not imagine baby oil would be ideal for broken skin, but I am not sure. I have also read good things about apple cider. Not sure what the different applications the properties of listerine vs the apple cider vinegar would apply. I know that is not much help but thought I would throw that out there.

Courtney 12-04-2013 08:49 PM

I have mixed equal parts warm water & ACV and used as a rinse on Rusty before. Have also soaked his feet in it when they smelled like corn chips.

I use ACV on my own hair. It's great for getting the product crud out and it's very soothing on the scalp, makes my hair shiny:)

BellaLuna 12-04-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney (Post 4613729)
I have mixed equal parts warm water & ACV and used as a rinse on Rusty before. Have also soaked his feet in it when they smelled like corn chips.

I use ACV on my own hair. It's great for getting the product crud out and it's very soothing on the scalp, makes my hair shiny:)

Hmm I just might have to try it in my hair ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

LoveEcho 12-04-2013 08:57 PM

I use ACV on my own hair. It's great for getting the product crud out and it's very soothing on the scalp, makes my hair shiny:)[/QUOTE]

Ooh, that sounds lovely! How bad is the smell afterwords?