Home Remedies: Myths or Facts? - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #51 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have never fed senior food either. Lots of the real good foods have everything in them already.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #52 (permalink)

I have some good options for his next food:

1- Blue Life Protection Lamb & Brown rice adult formula
2- Blue Life Protection Fish & Oatmeal adult formula
3- Blue Life Protection Fish & Sweet Potato adult formula
4- Welness Super 5 Mix Lamb, Barley and Salmon adult formula
5- Welness Simple Lamb & Oatmeal adult formula
6- Welness Core Grain Free Ocean adult formula

Too many choices, lamb or fish, Welness or Blue? This can get crazy but i think I will buy small bags and see which one he likes the most and works best for him.

IGOR, a.k.a., Irwin von Hirten der Nacht
born on 02/19/02 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Kaluig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Why not? My husband and daughter are allergic to peanuts. I had a doctor that was allergic to potatoes....how sucky would that be?! No french fries, hash browns, baked, mash, soup! LOL

As far as allergies...I often wonder what is a true allergy and what is an intolerance. Banshee (our 13 yr old) gets very gassy, to the point of panting and much discomfort, if she eats chicken but is fine with turkey and duck. It makes me wonder what is in our chicken that is causing so many issues with dogs.
I would probably lose it if I were allergic to potatoes.. I'm intolerant to milk and caffeine. Allergies are often life threatening whereas an intolerance is something that will make you ill or uncomfortable.

Milk gives me a killer stomach ache that lasts a really long time and caffeine will make me sick to the point of basically bed rest for hours and hours. But neither threaten my life.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #54 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to zivagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It can absorb and be toxic that way. With so many known safe items, why it with risk tea tree oil??
I'm going to have to do some digging. We used tea-tree shampoo as well. I wouldn't marinate a dog in it.....but wonder of the toxicity is really in the ingestion, as previously stated.
Fell in love: Instantly
zivagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:07 PM   #55 (permalink)
Banned

Ingestion and absorption into the skin from what I've read.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #56 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zivagirl View Post
I'm going to have to do some digging. We used tea-tree shampoo as well. I wouldn't marinate a dog in it.....but wonder of the toxicity is really in the ingestion, as previously stated.
It can be absorbed

Veterinarywatch : Tea Tree Oil Toxicity

Quote:
Australian tea tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) Oil Poisoning in three purebred cats.
Bischoff K, Guale F Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation 10, 208 (1998)

Three Angora cats treated with undiluted tea tree oil dermal route. O. got it from a pet catalog sold as flea treatment. Within 5 hours, the first cat was hypothermic and uncoordinated, alert but unable to stand. Later that day, cat 2 was admitted comatose with severe hypothermia and dehydration. Cat 3 was conscious, nervous, trembling, and ataxic. All the cats smelled of tea tree oil. Cat 3 spent one day being treated and cat 1 spent two days being treated in the hospital but then both went home. Cat 2 died on the third day.
The article states: Tea tree oil contains 50-60% terpenes, toxicity is "similar to other essential oils such as eucalyptus oil." Toxicosis in humans has resulted from ingestion of 0.5 to 1 cc tea tree oil per kg of body weight. The 3 cats had about 20 ccs applied to them (each). Says cats may be more sensitive to this toxicosis than dogs, but that the tea tree oil toxicosis has been reported in humans, rats, dogs, and cats. Most patients have clinical signs of central nervous system depression. Dogs and cats with tea tree oil toxicosis will appear weak, obtunded, uncoordinated, ataxic, and usually have muscular tremors. Cats may exhibit signs of liver damage. Toxic components are fat soluble and rapidly absorbed via skin and GI tract. There is no antidote. Treatment involves general detoxification, supportive care, bathing with mild detergents, using activated charcoal if ingested.
Having said that....exactly how much TTO needs to be applied before it's toxic. Kind of like to much Vitamin E is toxic. There should only be a few drops in an entire bottle of shampoo.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #57 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Something I've also seen recommended and is okay for humans but deadly to cats and dogs is TEA TREE OIL.
Tea Tree oil is ok to use externally on dogs (NOT on cats). It is an ingredient in many shampoos, ear cleaners, hot spot sprays, etc. The important thing to remember is that, like many medications and drugs, a little bit can be medicinal, but too much is a poison.

Here in the US, people seem to think that if a little bit is good, MORE is better. With things like Tea Tree, it's the opposite--the less you use, the better. I have used it in ear cleaners (for dogs only, never for cats) and shampoos. Basically the rule is that you don't want the dog licking it. If it's in a shampoo, it's rinsed off, and if in an ear cleaner, the dog can't lick it. If in a hot spot spray, make sure the spray also contains a bittering agent so that the dog will be discouraged from licking.

We're talking about a tiny amount of the stuff, like a few drops. I wouldn't use it straight on an animal, I'd dilute it down with alcohol, water, or a carrier oil. Yes, it can be absorbed through the skin, which is why it's very important to use a minimal amount.

Ironically, I don't take such care when I use it on myself--if I have a skin irritation or itchy spot from shaving or whatever, I dab it on straight. It really does work--it tingles, much like peppermint or eucalyptus, which helps take your mind off the irritation. It's antibacterial and antifungal too.

Cats should not come anywhere near Tea Tree, nor any other essential oil. Cats are extremely sensitive to essential oils, with the possible exception of Lavender in tiny amounts. If I want to use Lavender in my grooming shop for aromatherapy purposes, I put a little on a cotton ball and place it near the cat's cage.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.