Reality check on vaccinations - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Intervet Inc, 29160 Intervet Lane, PO Box 318, Millsboro, DE 19966, USA.

A challenge-of-immunity study was conducted to demonstrate immunity in dogs 3 years after their second vaccination with a new multivalent, modified-live vaccine containing canine adenovirus type 2 (CAV-2), canine parvovirus (CPV), and canine distemper virus (CDV). Twenty-three seronegative pups were vaccinated at 7 and 11 weeks of age. Eighteen seronegative pups, randomized into groups of six dogs, served as challenge controls. Dogs were kept in strict isolation for 3 years following the vaccination and then challenged sequentially with virulent canine adenovirus type 1 (CAV-1), CPV, and CDV. For each viral challenge, a separate group of six control dogs was also challenged. Clinical signs of CAV-1, CPV, and CDV infections were prevented in 100% of vaccinated dogs, demonstrating that the multivalent, modified-live test vaccine provided protection against virulent CAV-1, CPV, and CDV challenge in dogs 7 weeks of age or older for a minimum of 3 years following second vaccination.
By failing to make a statement of the known science, by failing to require longer DOI data from manufacturers, and by failing to remove one-year vaccines from the market, the VMD is facilitating the unethical practice of annual vaccination.

The WSAVA guidelines recommend: “We should aim to vaccinate every animal, and to vaccinate each individual less frequently.” These international guidelines also recommend that, “we should aim to reduce the ‘vaccine load’ on individual animals in order to minimise the potential for adverse reactions to vaccine products”.

More Documentation Of Over-Vaccination Risks
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 11:19 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think several years ago a company made, and supported a three year claim on a distemper vaccine but it was the same vaccine as ever; it just proved it with a study and was able to put it on the label. [oh we cross posted on that; thanks for more info]

The nosodes are basically a homeopathic preparation of the infectious agent; therefore no actual material but its "energy" based on homeopathic constructs. Well, I just don't know. I am an educated person and realize that things we poo-poo'd not so many years ago have a basis in science so my construct of homeopathy is "it cannot hurt if it is "nothing" so be open minded about it. ..... I have seen a few cases where it has appeared to help.

I had already, after much struggle, came to the conclusion that we really do not know how extensive lepto is because the diagnosis is typically one of assumption and just as often as not, immunized dogs come ill. The Pfizer study has no claim of preventing the disease from I can see, just driving it to a sublinical chronic state. None of them have bratislava which is coming in from Europe (I don't have the article from a police magazine discussing this, though)

Please direct me to studies showing it is truly effective......I figure that, perhaps, the best approach is to be keenly aware of the dog's health status and do what is possible to maintain a strong immune systems

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Just opened the new issue of Whole Dog Journal.

Re-emergence of CAV-1 (Hepatitis)

An Old Infectious Disease Is New Again - Whole Dog Journal Article

Beau's annuals did not include CAV-2 though he had it in his puppy shots. Also had to have kennel cough intranasal at about 6 months for a puppy class. I am going to ask the vet to titer for CAV-1 immunity. Dodds is reconsidering and Schultz is for.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri & The Gang View Post
When you say "1 year vs 3 year" - what TYPE of shots are you talking about?
If it was me...I was referring to distemper and rabies. I do the 3 year for both. When they hit 7 or so I stop the distemper, so they would have a total of 2 distempers in their adult lifetime. Rabies have to be done, its the law.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.