Too much activity or time for Glucosamine? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Too much activity or time for Glucosamine?

Molly started displaying signs of stiffness/soreness upon rising after resting when she had an intensive play date (an hour of activity) and another time after an hour of training using a lot of agility equipment (tunnels, A-frames, jumping over things). She showed no signs of soreness after a 7 mile hike that was mostly steady walking. She is 2.5 yrs old. I started her on glucosamine and bought her a thicker, orthopedic bed.

She seems to be improving, but was wondering if she is a bit young to get stiffness? Or is this too much of the wrong type of activity? Anyone else start their dog on glucosamine at a young age? Molly does not eat kibble so she does not get it in her food. Sometimes we feed Happy Hips, I'm just surprised that we would need to supplement already.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't have any answers for you, just wanted to say that I hope Molly is feeling better soon.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

My boy is just over a year and has severe HD and takes Glucosamine daily to help with his stiffness. Our vet recommended Dasuquin for him but I still just use over the counter people Glucosamine tablets.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with info about a dog who does not have HD.

What is Happy Hips?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

Mamma to Mellie (Black Cat) and Avery (GSD)
jourdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I am wondering if she needs a chiro. app.

Is this her usual excercise, or new or amped up?

She may need magnesium, helps with smooth muscle contraction, I give my dog 100 mg. a day split am/pm

Is she on any other suppliments?

Also, you can make home-made bone stock (mostly chicken cartlilage for type II collagen) - in her case a couple tblsps a day - I used 1/2 cup a day that brought my dog back from lameness (a senior w/a walker could have out run him) to being able to jump on my bed and just a couple weeks ago he nearly went over a 4ft fence after a squirrel, if his toes hit 1" higher he would have been gone. I also use ground eggshells (the membrane contains type 1 collagen) in meals w/o bone - usually his a.m. meal...

Note: eggshells b/c he is RAW fed (in case someone is reading who's dog is kibble fed)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Abby is pretty arthritic (sp?) at 5. She's good after she goes through her stretching routine and the vet said to walk her for all she could stand, but it is still rough to see. I lost Heidi to internal problems and now I worry about Abby's joints.

I do have her on the supplements...thinking of changing to the level three pills. She is so mellow though, sometimes it hard to tell is she hurts or is just that much different than Heidi...

Abby - Adopted 11 July 2011

Heidi - RIP (3 May 2011)
Run free little girl, you gave me the best seven years of my life.
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

have you ever had her xrayed? Stem to stern? hips/elbows/knees/ shoulder/ spine??

If your doing agility, it's good to have her xrayed so you can see if she's structurally sound, they are also good for future reference if something crops up.

I'd go with xrays, and from there..

Chiro's are great, PT's are great, water therapy, laser..supplements as well

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
I am wondering if she needs a chiro. app.

Is this her usual excercise, or new or amped up?

She may need magnesium, helps with smooth muscle contraction, I give my dog 100 mg. a day split am/pm

Is she on any other suppliments?

Also, you can make home-made bone stock (mostly chicken cartlilage for type II collagen) - in her case a couple tblsps a day - I used 1/2 cup a day that brought my dog back from lameness (a senior w/a walker could have out run him) to being able to jump on my bed and just a couple weeks ago he nearly went over a 4ft fence after a squirrel, if his toes hit 1" higher he would have been gone. I also use ground eggshells (the membrane contains type 1 collagen) in meals w/o bone - usually his a.m. meal...

Note: eggshells b/c he is RAW fed (in case someone is reading who's dog is kibble fed)
Thanks, after I posted this I thought maybe its the muscles, not the joints, so I'll look into something more comprehensive that would include magnesium. This activity is usually one day a week, a Sat or Sun. She is not on any other supplements.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
have you ever had her xrayed? Stem to stern? hips/elbows/knees/ shoulder/ spine??

If your doing agility, it's good to have her xrayed so you can see if she's structurally sound, they are also good for future reference if something crops up.

I'd go with xrays, and from there..

Chiro's are great, PT's are great, water therapy, laser..supplements as well
Yes, this couldn't hurt. Molly is a large GSD for a female, 87lbs. She was checked for HD (negative) at six months when spayed, but now that she's full grown xray does make sense.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am all for chiro's as well as PT's, so if the xrays come up clean, try that route. I know alot of PT'er's also have supplements they use, so that might be an option as well.

I was giving my senior girl, msm w/glucosamine (chondroitan made her ill), hylauronic acid, keeps those joints lubed, but if it is muscular, chiro / PT can help

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

If she is going hard 1 day, may need a bit more in between time, muscles that aren't used on a reg. basis, then pushed (as dogs will do), cause tiny tears in the fibres and need time to heal...much like if you never do crunches and then get down on the floor and do 50 (hah!-not me, lol)...next day you can barely cough w/o feeling it.

But def. get x-rays in case she has some other underlying condition that may be being aggrevated from this...at least then you can get an early suppl. routine to repair sooner then later
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.