Too much activity or time for Glucosamine? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jourdan View Post
My boy is just over a year and has severe HD and takes Glucosamine daily to help with his stiffness. Our vet recommended Dasuquin for him but I still just use over the counter people Glucosamine tablets.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with info about a dog who does not have HD.

What is Happy Hips?

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Happy Hips are meat jerky treats (chicken, duck, salmon,etc) with added glucosamine and chrondroitin. They are made by Dogswell.
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement surely wouldn't hurt, although I'd bet she's just sore from overexertion if she's not used to that much activity. Dogs get sore muscles just like people do.

87 lb. is pretty heavy for a female, can you feel her ribs when you pet her? Does she have an "hourglass" shape when you look at her from above, or is she shaped more like a sausage? Keeping her on the lean side will definitely help matters, so cut back her food if she's a little on the thick side. Just 5-10 extra pounds can have a huge impact, especially if the dog is doing agility or other high-impact activities.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement surely wouldn't hurt, although I'd bet she's just sore from overexertion if she's not used to that much activity. Dogs get sore muscles just like people do.

87 lb. is pretty heavy for a female, can you feel her ribs when you pet her? Does she have an "hourglass" shape when you look at her from above, or is she shaped more like a sausage? Keeping her on the lean side will definitely help matters, so cut back her food if she's a little on the thick side. Just 5-10 extra pounds can have a huge impact, especially if the dog is doing agility or other high-impact activities.
Since being full grown she's varied between 84-87lbs, the Vet said she looks fine, no sausage. I'll see if she can drop a couple pounds. Our previous dog was a sausage, that was her nickname - poor thing was hypothyroid, hardly ate and gained weight.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Knighted Member

****Update****

Vet took x-rays today - no structural problems! So soft tissue injuries from over exertion. Molly needs to only "walk" for the next two weeks. This going to be hard, even though she is almost 3, she likes to do zoomies around the house. And she got some Rimaldyl for pain and inflammation, we've never used this before so I hope no bad side effects.

Vet did not freak when I told her Molly has raw food! Everyone said she had a beautiful coat. Recommended getting Cosequin at Costco, and fish oil as preventatives for the joints even though they look good now. Molly could drop 5lbs too. Anyway, x-rays were good idea, really gives us peace of mind. Thanks for everyone's input.

Last edited by Gretchen; 01-12-2013 at 07:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Do Tumeric (curcumin), not rimadyl for minor pain...that is too dangerous for type of condition. NSAIDS are bad all around...

Instead look at magnesium, for smooth muscle contraction.

Important Safety Information: RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication available only by prescription through your veterinarian. As with other NSAID-class medications, signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian.

From their own site...this warning was ENFORCED by the FDA, rimadyl fought to avoid it as it would affect sales

https://www.rimadyl.com/default.aspx
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 10:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Do Tumeric (curcumin), not rimadyl for minor pain...that is too dangerous for type of condition. NSAIDS are bad all around...

Instead look at magnesium, for smooth muscle contraction.

Important Safety Information: RIMADYL is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication available only by prescription through your veterinarian. As with other NSAID-class medications, signs of RIMADYL intolerance may include appetite loss, vomiting and diarrhea, which could indicate side effects involving the digestive tract, liver or kidneys. Some of these side effects may occur without warning and, in rare situations may be serious, resulting in hospitalization or even death. If these signs occur, discontinue RIMADYL therapy and consult your veterinarian.

From their own site...this warning was ENFORCED by the FDA, rimadyl fought to avoid it as it would affect sales

https://www.rimadyl.com/default.aspx
How much do you recommend for the turmeric and what is a good source or amount of Mg for dogs?

I've read about tumeric from Ayurvedic books and I have Mg (natural calm powder for myself). I'm nervous about the conversion from human to canine.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am giving my old guy Turmeric and, based on feedback from a teammate who also has an older arthritic dog, 1500-2000 mg seems to work well for us. But that is older dogs with arthritis. I give in food split between meals.

No real comment on the magnesium. I just don't know. Good question though. But isn't Magnesium part of raw meaty bones in the first place?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Magnesium is fairly safe...no real toxicity, unless...IF there is an existing kidney problem then it is not recommeded, but that is based on a kidney issue not causing one...

I know about natural calm, relatively tasteless...your dog is approx. 85lbs, most suppliments would estimate 2/3 a human dose...try 1/3...my dog gets 100mg a day (my vets advisement)...I think humans is around 320mg depending. Magnesium is req'd for 300 processes in the body and is "sometimes" all that is needed in seizure disorders

tumeric, I don't use but did, and gave 2 x 500mg/day split am/pm...and that was sufficient enough for results, but was 95% standardized extract...I think in an aging or arthritic dog, then as Jocoyn said, 15-2000mg may be req'd.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 01-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Knighted Member

missed the edit window...

although unlikely, just make sure if using natural calm there is no artificial sweetener like xylitol (this is deadly to dogs)
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks to GatorBytes and jocoyn. I'll bring your recommendations to this well known natural supplement store nearby, I'm sure they can fix me up with something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.