Raw bee pollen granules? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Raw bee pollen granules?

I was at the farmer's market yesterday and bought some of this because it seems to be (from what I was told) quite the miracle product, but after checking it out on the 'net I'm very confused - lol, what's new...

I was thinking of giving some to my dog, as well as taking it myself. But when I bought it I was told not to take it with food, although you could swallow it with some water. Now, the 'net shows all sorts of ways to mix it into smoothies, etc.. And alot of sites say you have to chew it to get your body to absorb all the good things it has to offer, otherwise your body won't absorb any of it.

So, I have no problem chewing a tsp. of it, but it seems I can't just sprinkle some on the dog's food if I want him to benefit from it? Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the dog will benefit from the bee pollen which is loaded with anti oxidants trace minerals and protein. Moisten it with some oil, fish oil , and the benefits will be enhanced. I don't see the need for a special procedure in taking it .
For yourself mix it into plain yogurt and then drizzle with honey . I think Iogo (a local yogurt ) Greko honey yogurt uses bee pollen when it say "natural flavours" and honey -- but why use sugar in greater ratio than honey. I prefer plain greek yogurt and then add real local unpasteurized honey. That brings us to this -- I would not buy a product with honey already in it -- because a great deal of honey and honey products are imported from China and are contaminated or have additives or have been heat treated , or diluted with the addition of corn syrup.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
the dog will benefit from the bee pollen which is loaded with anti oxidants trace minerals and protein. Moisten it with some oil, fish oil , and the benefits will be enhanced. I don't see the need for a special procedure in taking it .
For yourself mix it into plain yogurt and then drizzle with honey . I think Iogo (a local yogurt ) Greko honey yogurt uses bee pollen when it say "natural flavours" and honey -- but why use sugar in greater ratio than honey. I prefer plain greek yogurt and then add real local unpasteurized honey. That brings us to this -- I would not buy a product with honey already in it -- because a great deal of honey and honey products are imported from China and are contaminated or have additives or have been heat treated , or diluted with the addition of corn syrup.

WTH! Food is getting scary.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You have to know . We have a scarcity of bees either from some virus/bacteria , or now a second line of question is whether bees are damaged by GMO crops ?
We had a hive taken out from between the boards of our barn . The conversation we had with that apiarist inspired me to support a local honey exhibit at a "pioneer village" fall festival , handing out leaflets and with a petition that helped change one company's practices . Here is a link Asian Honey, Banned in Europe, Is Flooding U.S. Grocery Shelves | Food Safety News , every time it comes down to money money money. http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/11/09/...hy-of-its-name
Some of the "honey" has never had an encounter with a bee . Some off shore producers harvest vast amounts of flowers - and spin them , till all the nectar drops out . The big problem is that these honey-like products are have trace antibiotics , which if you have an allergy to , and ingest unknowingly , have serious health impact.

I won't use off-shore ingredients .

BEE wise , honey.

Last edited by carmspack; 12-02-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you aren't sure, you could always grind it up, the you can mix it with whatever and it will be like you chewed it?
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Does bee pollen granules have more pollen than honey? Does it have any residual sugars in it from the honey? Just wondering if this would be a better option than feeding honey for allergies? Or should it be given in addition?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The honey vendor told me that the pollen would be much better to use than the honey, when I told him I was looking for local honey to help with seasonal allergies.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

definitely the pollen , which is the male part of the flower so when using local honey you are innoculating your dog with local plant pollen , which before it is collected by the bees as a by-effort in gathering nectar would be aireborne . Either way the bees have it on their "knees" and visit another plant - close your eyes - we have a birds and the bees going on here -- or the pollen , the male part of the flower , would be in the air and would be deposited that way.
Some years are super-pollination , especially evergreen types . Plants respond one year in delay. So if there is a terrible year , drought, the following year in the spring the plants are in stress and create more opportunities to produce more seed , through more pollen. One year the spruce and pine produced so much pollen when a wind disturbed it the pollen looked like fog.
Try to get ORGANIC honey, organic pollen .

Here is why it matters Death of the Bees. Genetically Modified Crops and the Decline of Bee Colonies in North America | Global Research

very important -- no bees , no food for us .
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That super pollination year we had a few years ago was what sent Jax's allergies over the top. I can give the honey to her every other day and it keeps it under control. Plus I feed a RAW diet so really the only carbs/sugars she gets is from the yogurt and honey.

Carmen - So you advise using both the honey and the bee pollen granules?

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Michelle, thanks for posting your questions...as they are mine too
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.