German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Holistic/Homeopathic Practices (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/)
-   -   How important is Chondroitin? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/holistic-homeopathic-practices/195374-how-important-chondroitin.html)

Jax08 11-29-2012 07:41 PM

How important is Chondroitin?

Dasuquin is getting expensive. I can buy Cosequin ASU equine powder, have equal amounts of glucosamine, a little less MSM, just over amount of ASU but the chondroitin will be half that of Dasuquin

Cosequin ASU equine per 2 g
900 mg Gluc
620 mg MSM
150 mg Chondr.
130 mg ASU

Dasuquin w/ MSM per tab
900 mg Gluc.
350 mg Chondr.
800 mg MSM
90 mg ASU

AND...I would have enough for 2 dogs for 1 year for $113.

She gets poultry necks for her meals which have chondroitin and she gets tracheas from the butcher, again loaded with chondroitin.

So all things added up....does it equal the Dasuquin with MSM? Or is there a synergy involved in the ingredients for the specifics amounts?

Emoore 11-29-2012 09:28 PM

Looks good to me. You could always try it and if you see her slipping, pick up some inexpensive chondroitin at the vitamin shoppe.

Jax08 11-29-2012 09:40 PM

I read an article that the body doesn't absorb chondroitin well anyways. I just can't find the article again.

vicky2200 11-29-2012 09:42 PM

I wouldn't want to mess with that. We buy human glucosamine/ chondroitin and it works great. Much cheaper than for a dog. You can eve find sales that are buy one get one free.

Jax08 11-29-2012 09:46 PM

wouldn't want to mess with what?

Jax08 11-30-2012 01:43 PM

Anyone else?

Olivers mama 11-30-2012 02:59 PM

Nowadays, supplements are the "thing". Unless I or my critters have a specific problem, I don't use supplements. Synthetics lose almost 70% of their worth - goes right in the toilet (or on the lawn) via urine. It's MUCH better to give the foods loaded with the specific vitamin or mineral for which you're looking. Bodies metabolize the foods much better than a pill, so the body retains the ingredients better.

(That last sentence is based upon scientific studies, not just my opinion. But it makes sense. The body will process real chicken better than plastic chicken.)

In other words, I don't waste time or money on something I can feed naturally.

Jax08 11-30-2012 03:06 PM

I read similar information and agree. It's why I don't take vitamins unless I know it comes from natural sources. I do see results from Dasuquin for Jax, and Banshee needs to be on something as well. Unfortunately, Banshee can not have any bone due to her CRF so that severely limits choices and Jax has HD so needs additional supplements. I can't get more natural than feeding RAW, which I do, so I really need something additional.

kiya 11-30-2012 03:09 PM

I'm picking up Dasuqin tomorrow, I'm curious to see if it's gone up here.
I think Dasuquin also has pain reliever in it. I take the same glucosamine chondroitin msm suppliement I give to the dogs.
I know a lot of horse/dog/human products are similar, ask your vet for a second opinion on the product or better yet contact the manufacturer.

Kyleigh 11-30-2012 03:10 PM

My last dog had HD ... I gave her glucosamine and yucca - she did awesome on just those two ... otherwise i can't add anything else ... sorry!