just started on coconut oil - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

Default just started on coconut oil

so i've been reading some threads about coconut oil lately and i've decided to take the plunge and feed it to chobahn. my hopes are that it will help his overall skin health, as he gets this rash from time to time. last time he had it they said it was his food, but this time it shouldn't be food related because he's on an LID. i'm thinking it developed when we were away...he was swimming a lot and probably sitting with wet skin...it's on his groin area and under his "armpits." anyway, my question is how much should i be giving him and how often? i'm assuming once a day is sufficient. He now weighs about 90lbs...not sure if his weight is a factor in determining the dosage, but i would assume it does. clearly i make a lot of assumptions, soooo i need all you knowledgeable people to help me out. thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

An LID isn't a guarantee that skin issues aren't food-related unless you know the specific ingredient that's causing your dog to have problems and have selected a formula that specifically eliminates that ingredient.
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

no, you're right. perhaps my wording wasn't right. i'm just thinking it may be something else because i've been feeding him the same formula since the last time this skin thing popped up and he has been doing great on it. i was told by the vet back in november that it was most likely a grain allergy, so i cut the grain out and his skin has stayed clear. this came about most recently in the presence of water, hot weather and laying/rolling around in the grass...if that makes any sense. so i've been doing vetricyn on his problem areas and just bought the coconut oil in hopes that it will help too.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cta View Post
so i've been reading some threads about coconut oil lately and i've decided to take the plunge and feed it to chobahn. my hopes are that it will help his overall skin health, as he gets this rash from time to time. last time he had it they said it was his food, but this time it shouldn't be food related because he's on an LID. i'm thinking it developed when we were away...he was swimming a lot and probably sitting with wet skin...it's on his groin area and under his "armpits." anyway, my question is how much should i be giving him and how often? i'm assuming once a day is sufficient. He now weighs about 90lbs...not sure if his weight is a factor in determining the dosage, but i would assume it does. clearly i make a lot of assumptions, soooo i need all you knowledgeable people to help me out. thanks in advance!
Hey. I'm going to forward this to GatorBytes. They know the most about this. Ok?

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

surely. thanks so much!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hi there Moxy PM'd me about coconut oil dosing.
first you likely know it has to be virgin cold pressed organic What else - heat extraction/hydroginated - useless...and some lesser brands use chemical extractions...I use Nutiva.

Here is a link that explains dosing as well it gives consideration for going slow. Don't take that lightly...seems coconut oil is very powerful stuff. In human circles it is recommended to use 3 Tblsps. general, I believe it was 4 for a woman treating her husbands alzheimers...So estimating your at 2/3 of average human - 2 tblsps. split am/pm

When you do, start at 1 tsp. for a few days, increase to 2 tsps. for few days and so forth - work up to 2 tblsps. over a month to be safe. The reasoning behind this is it's antibacterial, anti fungal(yeast) and anti-parasitic properties. As these die off (the GI tract contains all) they produce toxins and this can overload the liver - you will see an increase in symptoms as a result, as well, some possible/probable soft stool and maybe even listlessness (this is normal)...if seems overwhelmed or excessive, then give the gut a rest (fast for a day with some home-made broth and feed about half usual for next) take a couple days off from the oil too. This will give the liver a chance to catch up, then resume by working up slowly again. The term for die-off is refered to as "herxing" or a "healing crisis" so if you google you'll get the idea...You want the body to purge, and depending on how long it goes on for is an indication of how toxic the body is. My dog was on a diff. treatment protocol last year (diff. reasons) and he was sickly for a month - but when he purged - holy cow, it was like a new dog was born he was crazy happy energized.

Here's the dosing link

Victoria's All Natural Pet Health - Pet Food Treats Health Supplements Natural Health

And this for an FYI - summary of the myriad of conditions it supports (including epilepsy - as well as other neurological disorders) I would consider it an anti-aging of the mylein sheath, protects nerve endings (fatty coating) so is indicated in arthritic conditions - prevention is easier than treatment

The Coconut Oil Miracle Where is the Evidence

And this has all kinds of links on the research of coconut oil (top of the page) - including the infamous doctor who treated her husband's alzheimer youtube link (somewhere in the lists)

I also have other info about histamine reactions, but will send tomorrow.

Happy reading
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 08-13-2012 at 10:55 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

OOPs forgot the other link...I messed these up...this has all the links to research

http://coconutoil.com/coconut-oil-alzheimers/

Here is a blurb from the previous post link "where is the evidence". I had posted to someone elses thread prior...maybe you saw...

In the 1970s it was discovered that while the liver burns some MCTs immediately to produce energy, others are converted into ketones. Ketones are a super potent form of energy that are used specifically by the brain, but can be used by all the tissues in the body except the liver.
Ketones not only provide a high quality source of energy for the brain but trigger the activation of special proteins that function in brain cell maintenance, repair, and growth, thus providing a therapeutic effect on the brain. Since the 1970s MCTs have been used in ketogenic diets to treat epilepsy. Today modified ketogenic diets, using MCTs, are the standard dietary treatment for drug-resistant epilepsy.24
Besides epilepsy, ketones have been successfully used to treat a number of other neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, Huntington’s disease, ALS, stroke, narcolepsy, brain trauma, and brain cancer. The consumption of coconut oil can increase blood ketone levels to therapeutic levels that can successfully treat all of these conditions. Many patients with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia are currently being treated with coconut oil and are achieving far better results than the medications currently approved for these conditions. Studies show that MCTs can effectively mitigate the effects of Alzheimer’s and a dietary supplement designed for this purpose was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2009 for the treatment of Alzheimer’s.
Coconut oil is known to aid those with diabetes by balancing blood sugar levels. MCTs improve insulin secretion and insulin sensitivity, thus reversing the underlying cause of diabetes.25
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 08-13-2012 at 11:07 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have been using coconut oil for the dogs (and horses) for close to 20 years . Sh-Emp has herring , hemp and Tropical Traditions Gold Lable . It does matter what type and quality that you use for nutraceutical benefits .

Carmen
CARMSPACK.com
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

thank you everyone for the information...can't read it now, but i will do so after work. i picked up nutiva as well...that's one thing i learned from reading through threads. thanks again...can't wait to read all about it.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

so another question since i can't find anything that has answered the question entirely. does ingesting coconut oil cause dry skin? i wouldn't think so, but i was reading that if applied topically it can dry the skin out? i've just been mixing it in with the dog's food, but now i noticed his skin is flaking like crazy. is this part of the "purging" process or is it merely a side effect? sorry to ask dumb questions, i'm new to this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.