just started on coconut oil - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2012, 07:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cta View Post
so another question since i can't find anything that has answered the question entirely. does ingesting coconut oil cause dry skin? i wouldn't think so, but i was reading that if applied topically it can dry the skin out? i've just been mixing it in with the dog's food, but now i noticed his skin is flaking like crazy. is this part of the "purging" process or is it merely a side effect? sorry to ask dumb questions, i'm new to this
I'm deferring to GatorBytes because I'm having the same problem with Moxy. After about 4days on it, her butt is flaming again.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Have you thought about getting your dogs blood tested for allergies? We did this for Zoey. Turns out she is allergic to several grasses, barley, beets, sweet potatoes and even chicken. There is more, but these are the ones that make choosing what to feed her and where she can play difficult. Since we have gotten the results and know what to avoid, she has had no rashes. I'm still looking into feeding raw, but for now, California naturals has kibble that she is good with.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
so another question since i can't find anything that has answered the question entirely. does ingesting coconut oil cause dry skin? i wouldn't think so, but i was reading that if applied topically it can dry the skin out? i've just been mixing it in with the dog's food, but now i noticed his skin is flaking like crazy. is this part of the "purging" process or is it merely a side effect? sorry to ask dumb questions, i'm new to this
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
I'm deferring to GatorBytes because I'm having the same problem with Moxy. After about 4days on it, her butt is flaming again.
CTA I haven't read anything that states it dry's your skin out, the opposite is true, I have used topically. It nourishes hair and skin. There are many area's of convention that try to discredit "helpful buy anywhere items" as a form of treatment...it's like saying apples aren't good for you...the average person w/good or mod. health?...It is likely due to new skin forming as toxic skin sluffs off...

Moxy...I am not sure what you mean about her bowels, diarrhea or swollen or fistures?

Remember the body is toxic and that is why you have the symptoms you do in the first place, no magic...time will heal, but you have to undergo some unpleasant stuff first...instead of focus on negative (and I have to do this too), look at overall picture...dry flakey skin in itchy dog is getting worse...hmm
Moxy had itchy skin and diarrhea (correct?) or soft stool?...where the body is weak is where you are going to see it exasorbate....either worsening of symptoms or return of...that is detox...

My dog has been really sluggish (was really itchy when I joined forum and at a time of year he isn't itchy) I beleive he had one more factor in ill health this year compared to to others, as well due to a few things I had neglected to give due to lack of funds. I eventually saw a return of symptoms (and addressed), as well as the new symptoms (as a result) and am addressing/continuing now... incl. itchy skin and bowel issues, dispondency, acting out at people and depressed...I had some money issues but have restocked all incl. coconut oil...NOW...(hence why I have to remind myself) his mouth area has ulcerated, his elbow scabs have dried/cracked w/mild bleeding. He HAD dandruff (this - unusual even w/skin issues)...However!...he has stopped itching, his poops are getting better and better AND his energy levels have increased he seems to have lost a recurring lameness/exercise intollerance, he's in good spirits, and being attentive and loveable and responsive to all...as he heals I anticipate the mouth (exterior, could be bacterial/fungal, could be Lupus - hope not(!)) will clear up, it has before, I also treat topically w/various, but he is difficult and I am a touch negligent (my bad) and timing, his elbows will heal, and as far as winter itch, I hope to find that maybe I have finally nailed it, as I learn I make changes that make sense.

Time.

AS for "allergies" they are sign of deficiency, you correct the imbalance that causes excess histimine, by supporting w/foods (real meat w/ essential amino acids) and a little boost w/antiox. By avoiding "triggers" as in "allergens" you are simply avoiding. By correcting the imbalance you are treating...Hence RAW food...pure natural amino acids and enzymes to uptake
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 08-18-2012 at 11:38 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Have you thought about getting your dogs blood tested for allergies? We did this for Zoey. Turns out she is allergic to several grasses, barley, beets, sweet potatoes and even chicken. There is more, but these are the ones that make choosing what to feed her and where she can play difficult. Since we have gotten the results and know what to avoid, she has had no rashes. I'm still looking into feeding raw, but for now, California naturals has kibble that she is good with.
i feel like he has allergies beyond the food allergies that the vet initially suspected when he presented with a skin rash. i asked at that time if she was going to do any allergy tests and she said she thought i should try changing his diet before they did allergy test. she told me he needed an LID. i put him on an LID and his skin cleared. we did this back in november and i settled on natural balance. as soon as i cut grain out he had no problems whatsoever. the rash came back after he started getting wet and rolling around/laying in the grass. i think he may have some seasonal allergies tho because he gets small eye boogies in the spring and the fall.

gatorbytes...when i researched dry skin and coconut oil i only found links and info about human use of coconut oil....and only topical use of coconut oil. that is why i came back here to ask about the side effects (other than internal ones) that occur in dogs. you say you think it's because the toxic skin is sloughing off. that was my question...has anyone ever physically had first hand experience with terribly dry skin after first starting coconut oil? is it "likely" due or is it "actually" due to it?
Old 08-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
CTA I haven't read anything that states it dry's your skin out, the opposite is true, I have used topically. It nourishes hair and skin. There are many area's of convention that try to discredit "helpful buy anywhere items" as a form of treatment...it's like saying apples aren't good for you...the average person w/good or mod. health?...It is likely due to new skin forming as toxic skin sluffs off...

Moxy...I am not sure what you mean about her bowels, diarrhea or swollen or fistures?

Remember the body is toxic and that is why you have the symptoms you do in the first place, no magic...time will heal, but you have to undergo some unpleasant stuff first...instead of focus on negative (and I have to do this too), look at overall picture...dry flakey skin in itchy dog is getting worse...hmm
Moxy had itchy skin and diarrhea (correct?) or soft stool?...where the body is weak is where you are going to see it exasorbate....either worsening of symptoms or return of...that is detox...

My dog has been really sluggish (was really itchy when I joined forum and at a time of year he isn't itchy) I beleive he had one more factor in ill health this year compared to to others, as well due to a few things I had neglected to give due to lack of funds. I eventually saw a return of symptoms (and addressed), as well as the new symptoms (as a result) and am addressing/continuing now... incl. itchy skin and bowel issues, dispondency, acting out at people and depressed...I had some money issues but have restocked all incl. coconut oil...NOW...(hence why I have to remind myself) his mouth area has ulcerated, his elbow scabs have dried/cracked w/mild bleeding. He HAD dandruff (this - unusual even w/skin issues)...However!...he has stopped itching, his poops are getting better and better AND his energy levels have increased he seems to have lost a recurring lameness/exercise intollerance, he's in good spirits, and being attentive and loveable and responsive to all...as he heals I anticipate the mouth (exterior, could be bacterial/fungal, could be Lupus - hope not(!)) will clear up, it has before, I also treat topically w/various, but he is difficult and I am a touch negligent (my bad) and timing, his elbows will heal, and as far as winter itch, I hope to find that maybe I have finally nailed it, as I learn I make changes that make sense.

Time.

AS for "allergies" they are sign of deficiency, you correct the imbalance that causes excess histimine, by supporting w/foods (real meat w/ essential amino acids) and a little boost w/antiox. By avoiding "triggers" as in "allergens" you are simply avoiding. By correcting the imbalance you are treating...Hence RAW food...pure natural amino acids and enzymes to uptake

No. Moxy hasn't had any bowel problems. I meant the dandruff on her rump is flaring up again. She and Crow both seem to enjoy the coconut oil, and it sure makes it easier to give Moxy the meds. I just stick them down into the coconut oil, and she gobbles them up.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
No. Moxy hasn't had any bowel problems. I meant the dandruff on her rump is flaring up again. She and Crow both seem to enjoy the coconut oil, and it sure makes it easier to give Moxy the meds. I just stick them down into the coconut oil, and she gobbles them up.
Quote:
the rash came back after he started getting wet and rolling around/laying in the grass. i think he may have some seasonal allergies tho because he gets small eye boogies in the spring and the fall.

gatorbytes...when i researched dry skin and coconut oil i only found links and info about human use of coconut oil....and only topical use of coconut oil. that is why i came back here to ask about the side effects (other than internal ones) that occur in dogs. you say you think it's because the toxic skin is sloughing off. that was my question...has anyone ever physically had first hand experience with terribly dry skin after first starting coconut oil? is it "likely" due or is it "actually" due to it?
cta, do mean you only found links in humans re: external use, or external dryness as a result of internal use? Are you using topically and asking if that is the cause?...as for Likely and Actually cannot say. You would have to have a perfectly healthy specimen w absolutely no toxic elements or skin issues, fed the perfect organic diet...then add coconut oil to see if drys skin out - I would think?...would lean to possibly as there are many reasons. Killing bacteria both topically and internally will present with return of or new symptoms, this is as a result of the livers flitering system.

Moxy. Oh, the skin near rear .

I think people are so sensitized to the beliefs that as soon as something presents negatively, that it is a bad thing - side effect, there are symptoms of disease, there are symptoms of healing...the skin has to go through a rejuvenating process, much like we exfoliate to assist this...brushing often will help this along AND stimulate the lymphatic system to move toxins along...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #17 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

ya that is exactly what i meant. i only found dryness caused (in humans) from topical use, so essentially i was asking if a dog ingests it can it also cause the dry skin. i've been brushing him to clear it all out and it's fine if it is the body's way of revamping itself, i'm not going to discontinue at the first sign of a negative symptom like that. it isn't bothering him and he's not itching. also, i'm not using it topically on him, just adding it to his food.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
ya that is exactly what i meant. i only found dryness caused (in humans) from topical use, so essentially i was asking if a dog ingests it can it also cause the dry skin. i've been brushing him to clear it all out and it's fine if it is the body's way of revamping itself, i'm not going to discontinue at the first sign of a negative symptom like that. it isn't bothering him and he's not itching. also, i'm not using it topically on him, just adding it to his food.
Excellent! especially the dry skin not bothering him, so that's a good sign.

I was just trying to search negetive topical effects on human's and couldn't find. Did find some forum posts of people who used for acne, but gave up, while others rode it out and had exceptional response.

I am not sure, as there has been so many discussions on this subject, but did you start slow, as in 1tsp working up to 2 and then tablespoon or more? Did I give you any links, I guess I could go back and look? Just coming off top of my head (which is a little bit foggy today, maybe i'll try C.O. for hangover).

I however, have started mysel,f in yogurt (I hate coconut). Hoping it gives me back some overall energy.

I also just p/u some Emu oil, I am going to use on Gators elbow scabs...poor guy. He was hit w/so many things last year...these things (Injury, wrong diagnosis, use of Doxy, dismissal of diet concerns, injury, negligence by others and Vet negligence where his bowel issues were concerned - unbelievable!) caused a deep systemic issue. He is doing much better, but had it not been my perseverance I think he wouldn't be here right now. Many, many people have remarked at how great he was looking/doing, then commented how last year they thought he was doomed and thought he was close to being destroyed, they didn't tell me that then though - THANK GOD!.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #19 (permalink)

We are up to 1 tbsp in the morning and one in the evening. I give the little dog (Crow) just a tsp a day. He's only 20 lbs.

Moxy's dandruff has cleared up. Maybe it was just a one day thing. Now, her bowels never changed, and neither has her attitude. She pretty much acts like her old self all the time. Could it possibly be that the doxy killed the toxins? I noticed her herxing got about 3 days on that. I just can't believe the change in my dog in the 2 weeks that we've been doing the combo of doxy, yogurt, vitamin C, grain free kibble, raw treats, and coconut oil. It really had made an enormous difference in this dog! Way cheaper than the vet costs, too!

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:16 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
We are up to 1 tbsp in the morning and one in the evening. I give the little dog (Crow) just a tsp a day. He's only 20 lbs.

Moxy's dandruff has cleared up. Maybe it was just a one day thing. Now, her bowels never changed, and neither has her attitude. She pretty much acts like her old self all the time. Could it possibly be that the doxy killed the toxins? I noticed her herxing got about 3 days on that. I just can't believe the change in my dog in the 2 weeks that we've been doing the combo of doxy, yogurt, vitamin C, grain free kibble, raw treats, and coconut oil. It really had made an enormous difference in this dog! Way cheaper than the vet costs, too!
That is so great! Good for you for going outside the box and with such minimal effort compared to having to do deal w/illness as it progresses made worse w/steroids, ant-inflam's and other toxic substances...By adding in a natural anti-histamine (Vit. C), busting up protazoans w/Doxy (and yes, dead bacteria=die-off re: herxing, or may have been a side effect of meds. as she adjusted), Taking out inflammatory foods (grains), adding in essential RAW nutrients (treats), and taking care of by-product of antibiotic therapy - gut flora and yeasts (coconut oil, yogurt) = a multi-faceted approach to health. Buy doing what your are doing, you have helped the immune system help itself, instead of suppressing w/steroids. She's a lucky doggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.