Essential oils - need help please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Essential oils - need help please

I'm trying to figure out what would be the best mixture and best way to apply essential oils. Right now I'm trying to repel mosquitoes, and I'm also worrying about fleas and ticks because my puppy was given Heartguard Plus as his heartworm prevention. In the past I've used the liquid product with the flea and tick control, so I'm not sure what I'm up against this season.

The essential oils I have are:
Tea Tree oil
Eucalyptus oil
Lemongrass oil
Neem oil (solid at room temperature)

I bought the last two after reading through previous posts - the store was sold out of citronella, and the more flowery scents seem to give me a bad headache. I also have olive oil to use as a carrier, or I can cut some fresh aloe and use the jell from it.

I'm wondering what would be the best mixture of the above ingredients?

Also, I'm not sure if I should make a water-based spray to apply because our other dog is frequently being mouthed by my puppy. So basically this spray will be ingested. Or is it safe in small amounts?

Could you please advise me in how I should mix and apply these? Thank you very much for any help you can offer, since these oils are pretty expensive and I don't want to end up tossing any failed experiments of mine.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I see alot of natural mixes with clove oil in it.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Honestly, if your concern is fleas, Advantage is your best bet. Essential oils don't work as well, you have to re-apply them constantly, and they're not meant to be ingested. Because Advantage travels along the oil layer in the skin, it doesn't cover the entire hair shaft and so if the dogs mouth each other while playing, they won't ingest anything more than a negligable amount. If you use an essential oil spray, you have to really soak them in it down to the skin and it does cover the hair. If you use olive oil as a carrier, it will make the coat oily and dirt will stick to it.

If you have both ticks and fleas, Frontline is your best bet. Advantage won't kill ticks.

About the only thing I use essential oils for is fly/mosquito repellent. Even then, you have to re-apply it 2-3 times a day. Neem and citronella is best for that, along with eucalyptus, clove, cedar, lavender, and citrus oils. I don't know how tea tree and lemongrass would work, but I'm sure they wouldn't hurt. I use a water/alcohol based carrier (about 70% water/30% alcohol). The alcohol evaporates quickly and will stun any bugs hit by it.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There are some essential oil horse fly sprays at Tractor Supply you might look at.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You need a carrier for the oils, I use almond oil and distilled water or ACV to bulk up the oils.
I use a few drops of the essential oils, 2 tsp almond oil and 8 oz of the bulk to put in a spray bottle. The oils do gunk up the sprayer, small batches are better, IMO.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks for all your suggestions - so far I'm waging a war with the mosquitoes, and losing. They're just terrible right now! Maybe I'm just getting old and crabby, but I can't remember being this bothered by them at this time of year before.

Thank you again Freestep: ugh, what a mess the olive oil would make, duh why didn't I think of that...slap my head, lol....I've got a mud hole going for my puppy too, it would almost have been funny to see me try to clean him up.

Someone had mentioned soaking a bandana with the solution. I guess his legs don't get much protection this way though.

I hate mosquitoes!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you soak a bandana or collar in the oils, you will have to do it at the very least twice a week and you cant put them back on the dog until they're completely dry. I use a dog shampoo that is really nice and I just add some extra drops of the oils to it.

http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....p-flypage-6429

I used essential oils in an equal parts mixture in almond oil as the carrier and it helped repel the mosquitos but didnt completely discourage them. There were a few stubborn ones. Also, look into planting lavendar around your yard as well as getting some real cedar chips as they both act as natural repellents. KMart also sells the cedar balls you can put in your closet or dresser drawers. They're also effective in dog houses if you can put them in a place they work but dont get eaten.
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus 3/18/2013
Zena GSD 6/1/03
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
KZoppa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you for the heads-up on drying the bandana first, I didn't know that.

And I'm re-thinking my plantings too. What was going to be cleomes and cosmos is now going to be lavendar, marigold and peppermint. A big hedge of it, lol.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Tea tree oil is toxic if ingested. I would not use it for something like this.

Also, to the person who suggested Advantage: you are applying a pesticide to your dog. You are fooling yourself if you think coming into contact with that stuff couldn't cause another dog harm.

Plus, this is the Holistic section of the forum.

Isn't cedar oil supposed to repel insects? I know it repels fleas.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would go to Rose Mountain Herbs and get some of their catnip oil for your mix. It's expensive, but worth it.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.