Essential oils - need help please - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Catnip spray is working for us against Mosquitos and gnats.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Catnip spray is working for us against Mosquitos and gnats.
Catnip (Nepeta cataria) has been proven 10 times stronger than DEET according to the American Chemical Society! Catnip Repels Mosquitoes More Effectively Than DEET AND you can plant something similar around your yard called Catmint (Nepeta mussinii)! It is a beautiful purple flowered perennial and comes back year after year, and doubles in size each year! And you can also plant the Catnip but it tends to be more of a bi-annual and doesn't flower as nicely. Another good Essential Oil you can rotate with or mix with the Catnip is Rose Geranium.
If you go to the following page and cursor about 8 posts down, I gave a list of EO's used for insect repellant and how to mix it. Hope it helps!
6 month old - Combining fea/tick medications - Safe?
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thank you for the heads-up on the catnip/catmint! Wow, it does seem to be the miracle plant I've been looking for. And who knew, I already have 2 growing that I harvest for my cat...not sure of which type it is though. I will definitely get the oil for my puppy's bandana. I wonder what the cat will think? She's usually the one being shadowed by the puppy - it will be interesting to see how she reacts when the puppy smells like her all-time favorite treat, lol.

KZoppa, your suggestion of using cedar chips was brilliant!! I did a voracious weeding through my beds and put down 2 yards of the stuff and what a huge difference! I usually go with the shredded, but the chips are worth their weight in gold. That, and mowing the lawn down to a crewcut length has gotten rid of most of them. Or it was just a seasonal swarm? BTW, Mother Nature didn't like me criticizing her mosquitoes, so she sent in her carnivorous flies to teach me a lesson! I was actually enjoying weeding the raspberry patch, with dozens of bumblebees on the blooms. Cute little bugs that left me alone!
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 08:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This link is full of info on essential oils: Essential Oil Chart for Much Have and Prepardness
Old 06-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've used lavender, rosemary, tea tree and peppermint (maybe 10 drops each) mixed with a few teaspoons of almond oil and just put a few drops in my hands and rubbed them over my dogs' fur before they go out in the morning. They smell good and it works all day against fleas and mosquitoes. When the ticks get bad, I add cedarwood.
Something else I recently learned is that ants eat flea eggs. We have a lot of anthills in our "natural" area around the edges of the property. Chow down, ants!
kindofabigdealsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)

The essential oil combo I prefer is

Citronella
Rosemary
Cedar
Clove

Neem is excellent by itself

NaturVet also has a great horse spray consisting of essential oils already prepared & ready to go.
4-paws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

You can also add raw garlic to the dog's diet. I put a clove a day in her food (I make her food) and I used a similar combo as other people. Ky never had a flea / tick or mosquito near her all summer.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Just wanted to add, be very careful with using essential oils (also fragrance oils) if you have a cat who may come in contact with them at all-- if your cat is in close contact with your dog, or shares the same sleeping spot for example. Many essential oils are toxic to cats if ingested, inhaled or otherwise contacted. Cats self groom a lot so skin/surface contact can easily result in ingestion.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.