1 Year old with Hip Dysplasia..wanting to avoid surgery - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 AM   #41 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I think I would be looking for a second opinion. I tend to try to get second opinions on the bigger things if I can. I would be looking at another ortho consult perhaps, or look for a PT type vet. The PT type vets also see who does what surgeries and how they go.

I see you are in CA, the vet prices there are really high! On IMOM, you could always tell when an estimate for something from CA would come in. It was unreal.
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I think I would be looking for a second opinion. I tend to try to get second opinions on the bigger things if I can. I would be looking at another ortho consult perhaps, or look for a PT type vet. The PT type vets also see who does what surgeries and how they go.

I see you are in CA, the vet prices there are really high! On IMOM, you could always tell when an estimate for something from CA would come in. It was unreal.

Tell me about it! He had Spinal Meningitis when he was 8 months old. Had to have an MRI and Spinal tap and a week of hospitalization. 10 grand later. Ugh. But he is alive with no perm damage because we caught it in time. The hip surgeries are very expensive also. About 6 grand per hip.
Jmcgreggor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcgreggor View Post
Yeah both hips. His left is worse and was the one showing very mild arthritis. We did the Penn Hip testing just so we would really know what we were up against. The Penn Hip Evaluator reported mild arthritis but the orhtopedic surgeon and the offices X-ray tech could not see any arthritis.

She did mention the single hip replacement and that a lot of dogs do very well with just the one hip done. She also mentioned that even with surgery there could still be complications and him not walking properly. Thats why I am trying to do everything in my power to avoid surgery as long as possible. I will not let him be in pain and know surgery would be the only major option to correct that.

The things we do for our pets. Thats true love right there.
Just take it one day at a time. I'm sure you'll make the right decisions.
GSDMUM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #44 (permalink)

I have a 10 1/2 yr old German Shepard with severe arthritis in her hips. I give her Acti-flex 4000, a pet multivitamin, fish oil plus vit E and C. I also give her injections of polysulfate glycosaminoglycan and I now use Ichon which is much cheaper than Adequan and is available without a prescription from Allivet. She was completely down, but my girl has been walking and once again using her pet door for approx. 3 months now.
vseagle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #45 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Like others have said, laser therapy helps alot with my 9 month old with HD. We do laser therapy 3 days in a row, if he seems a stiff. It reduces the inflammation and speeds healing.
Msmaria is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #46 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

My dog had a hip replacement on one side when he was 18 m/o with the intention of having an FHO on the other side if he needed it.

I've had great success with Zeel. I also give Sea Pet 200 w/ vitamin E, and glyco flex III.
If he has a day of more exercise than usual, I give him Traumeel. So far, so good. He'll be ten soon.

I've tried a lot of combinations of things, and this seems to work the best for my guy.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.