Want to avoid antibiotics - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Want to avoid antibiotics

Looking for help/advice on how to avoid giving antibiotics to my 6 month old puppy for a skin thing.

Saphira started with some scaling and dryness at the base of her tail a week or so ago. I had the vet take a peek at it on Friday when she was with me for her bath. Vet combed the area with a flea comb and did not see any redness just flakes and suggested fish oil.

Saturday I noticed she had a lump under the skin in the same area that was not there on Friday. Seemed non painful and was not warm or oozey.

Sunday night you can see some oozing of clear fluid and a little blood out of the hair follicles. Still doesn't seem painful.

So I took her in to work with me today and the vet prescribed Simplicef 1.5 tabs once a day for 2 weeks. Vet feels like it is an infection (bacterial) of the hair follicles and possibley the tail gland. I am wondering if the metal flea comb maybe scratched and irritated the area causing this reaction.

I know the antibiotics are going to wreak havoc on her stomach and I would like to treat this without using them. Any suggestions? I thought about a warm compress, using some diluted listerine, and maybe some gold bond medicated powder to help dry it out??

Thanks
Ronda
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Did it look like this? My vet gave me a spray to put on after I cleaned it off. I cleaned it with betadine and put the spray on, cleared up very fast. I am at work so I don't have the name of the spray.
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10

Last edited by kiya; 11-29-2012 at 11:15 AM.
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

sounds like a staph infection . See if you can't get some usnea , or slather virgin coconut oil on it (anti microbial) , betadine is a good surgical scrub .

There are so many ways . Use digestive enzymes , probiotics . You need to do something for the dogs outside and inside .

Carmen
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

Carolyn...nah, its not like a hot spot, its a raised lump with pin prick looking holes. Thank you though.

Carmen, I think I can find that stuff at a place near my house...also I am putting a check in the mail for the Sunday Sundae today. Thanks again for all your help/advice the other day.

Ronda
Old 09-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok I'm now the proud owner of some organic virgin coconut oil, some apple cider vinegar, and human grade acidophilous. Unfortunately they were out of usnea and I will try another store tomorrow.

Ronda
Old 09-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

I know we all like to use other methods first, but Ronda, if these don't work or you see signs of worsening infection, please, use the antibiotics ASAP. Bacterial infections can become deadly so quickly. Just my humble opinion, but at least get the prescription filled in case? Did your vet at least do a culture to make sure it is a bacterial infection?
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree, antibiotics aren't the worst thing you could do. I agree with the culture. And a good probiotic along with supplements will help regardless.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Vetericyn I swear by the stuff, altho antibiotics may also be needed.

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2011, 08:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

No worries about waiting too long, I promise. I actually work at the vet hospital and already have them filled just in case. I would like to see if it gets better in a day or so without resorting to the antibiotics if possible. If it doesn't improve or gets worse, I will start the antibiotics.

The vet did not do a scraping, they just prescribed the medication after a brief exam.

I am not opposed to traditional medicine at all, just slightly wary of the side effects sometimes. The last time I gave her an antibiotic (Metro), it took about a month to get her stomach under control...and that was with probiotics and a supplement to help.

Ronda
Old 09-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Surprised as metro is used a lot to control digestive issues. your dog may have a sensitivity to that or an allergy. Hope your dog gets well soon. Please let us know what the culture said.
lisgje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.