homeopathy DOESN'T WORK - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #41 (permalink)
Elite Member

Seriously, this is your defense? Do we even need to bring up the number of those killed by doctors every year? or the number of dead from the CORRECT practice of medicine?? we're not talking malpractice claims or mistakes, we're talking where everything was done the way it should be.

Sometimes doing something is not the answer either. Let people make their own choices for them and their kids or pets.
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #42 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
The harm comes because while a homeopathic remedy will do nothing to your body, often times something needs to be done.

Dead baby's parents ignored advice: QC

That's the most famous incident (at least as far as I'm aware). A baby died a horrifically painful death due to complications from an easy cured disease.

~

What's the harm in homeopathy?

This site keeps a running tally on people who died because legitimate treatment was not sought in favor of "homeopathic remedies."

~

If someone is going to a homeopath to try and alleviate pain symptoms, then fine, whatever, their loss. It's no skin off my back. But, when you start involving lives, or making major decisions for people/animals who can't make those decisions...I guess I'm a little less inclined to shrug my shoulders and say "whatever." Because "doing nothing" can be harmful in and of itself.
And just as many people mess up their kids or themselves by overmedicating or incorrectly medicating with pharma-made drugs too.

Just read up on the birth defeats of Topamax, the "en vogue" drug from migraine prevention. It's prescribed like candy and it seriously messes people up. (just giving this example because I've had personal experience with the drug and an very aware of the published research from the medical and toxicology field on it, there are plenty others).
GSDElsa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
And just as many people mess up their kids or themselves by overmedicating or incorrectly medicating with pharma-made drugs too.

Just read up on the birth defeats of Topamax, the "en vogue" drug from migraine prevention. It's prescribed like candy and it seriously messes people up. (just giving this example because I've had personal experience with the drug and an very aware of the published research from the medical and toxicology field on it, there are plenty others).
So in your research you have determined that the actual numbers are "just as many" or did that just sound good in your post?
I'm not even posting to disagree with the essence of what you wrote, just pointing out that it is easy to throw around "information" online that may impact what people will believe.

&

Max
Kris10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post

I'm not sure why any of that is relevant. Abuse of pharmaceuticals isn't the topic, here.

I'm also unsure why that excuses the deaths "properly practiced" homeopathy has under its name, just because "some other system does bad things too."

I'd rather take my half-percent chance of severe side effects from properly used pharmaceuticals, and it's rational expectation of a cure, or at least alleviation, versus trying something which has a 0% chance of worsening my condition and a 0% chance of bettering my condition. In the meantime, while I'm wasting time on that...whatever condition I have, will probably worsen.

If we take homeopathy to a reductio ad absurdum, simply drinking a glass of well water should cure any ailment you have - it's a practically infinitely diluted solution (more dilutions = more potency, according to homeopathic law) of anything those water molecules have come into contact with for as long as this planet has had a water cycle.

Anyway, toodle-oo for now. Need to make a trip into town. Have fun!

Last edited by Draugr; 09-13-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Draugr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:23 PM   #45 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Thing is you CAN take your allopathic pathway and, guess what, insurance will pay for it. We will even take away risk and liability for certain problems caused by immunizations etc............

So who worry about the choices others want to make? Most of this is outside the insurance system and if people feel strongly enough to make their own choices, let them.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #46 (permalink)
Elite Member

it doesn't excuse anything, it just illustrates that some people would like to have choices. Some people's choices are different than yours. Some people have made choices they believe are every bit as valid as your's.

It also illustrates that both choices, as with all choices, sometimes don't work out like we would like them too. People die for all sorts of reasons, just like they are helped.

I know for myself, when I have a hangover, I might take an asprin. If I have cancer, i'm eating veggies, praying to a God i'm not sure even exists and doing sun dances long before I'll ever let someone give me chemo drugs. I don't care how irrational someone thinks I am.

and if I live 6 weeks by doing a dance to the sun god and I didn't have to take chemo drugs, it worked for me, and those that don't agree can suck it
crackem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
I'm not sure why any of that is relevant. Abuse of pharmaceuticals isn't the topic, here.
You kind of made it the topic saying the reason that people should avoid homeopathy is because when doing so they are avoiding "proper" care. The point is, idiots exist and will abuse or misuse anything out there. It's hardly the "norm" for people to let their children die because of not getting proper medical treatment. We could come up with as many examples of people getting NO medical care and making their child die, a pharma drug being misused killing a child, etc.

Point being--don't be STUPID and there is nothing wrong with using homeopathic remedies. It's called common sense.

I really don't think anyone is talking about curing cancer??
Old 09-13-2011, 01:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

check your statistics -- when hospitals go on strike the death rate goes down.
Many european medical practices are intergrative - using conventional allopathic and complementary alternative. That is the best of both worlds. Western medicine is exceptional at diagnosis and surgery , not so much the holistic needs of body and spirit and wholeness of the body not as a liver that needs help or an isolated problem, but a connected integrated whole.

Carmen
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2011, 01:33 PM   #49 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10 View Post
So in your research you have determined that the actual numbers are "just as many" or did that just sound good in your post?
I'm not even posting to disagree with the essence of what you wrote, just pointing out that it is easy to throw around "information" online that may impact what people will believe.
I was actually being nice to the pharama industry, I think. Are you that naive that you do not realize that there is a TON of stuff on the market that has horrible side effects or is mis-prescribed all the time?

I'm not against Western medicine, for Easter or homeopathic or anything else. There are problems with all. But to say "OMG you CANNOT try homeopathic remedies because you are ignoring getting REAL treatment!" is just bizarre. Any drug, diluation, WHATEVER has a risk when misused. Homeopathic or otherwise.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #50 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Many years ago I read a book called Spiritual Midwifery. Hey I am on oldie. Anyway - the deathrate went up when male doctors took over childbirth! Somehow all the native wisdom midwives had concerning birthing babies was tossed aside and the "doctors" would ram their hands up in the women (often after dissecting corpses)

I look at the expensive concoctions my post stroke mother takes. No less than 25 drugs and many drugs are to counteract other drugs, most of which were tested on college age males during drug studies (we had friends in college who made good money being drug guinea pigs)...had it not been for a bumbling doctor I honestly wonder if she would have had a stroke in the first place (it was a-fib plus septal defect, not cholesterol/lifestyle.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.