Help with Hotspots? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Help with Hotspots?

Hello,

Britania is a seven year old female, black and tan, much like the one shown above in the header.
Two days ago i came home to find she had nibbled the short hair on the inside of her ankles not quite to the skin. I bathed her feet in warm water and just kept an eye on her. She didn't seem to pay any further attention to them.
Yesterday i went to the shops, came home and in the space of an hour she had nibbled her ankles again and this time to the skin which was not bleeding but had a clear liquid. Is this a Hotspot?

I know its not fleas or mites, she doesn't lunge at the areas like something bit her. She is walked 2-3 times a day with toy and ball playing at home so is never bored, i just hope its not attention seeking seeing as she does it when i'm out or upstairs in bed.

She did do it once before years ago but in a couple of days it was gone again. I have some Neem Oil but i'm scared to use it just incase it irritates the skin and i'm not sure it is the right brand.
Is there something i could buy from the supermarket or make myself which would taste nasty enough to just put her off nibbling while i'm out?

Sue & Britania ( with sore ankles )
Britania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2010, 08:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hello Sue,

I am going to assume you've treated the hot spot, but if you haven't yet (or for the benefit of newcomers), trim the fur away from the area, wash it thoroughly with soap and warm water, rinse thoroughly and of course dry. Then apply a nice coat of antibiotic ointment.

As for the question concerning further chewing, I would take an ace bandage and wrap the area, but cut the ace bandage to fit. Then tape the area securely with medical tape. If you want to prevent her from chewing the tape, I'd take some deodorant or antiperspirant and rub liberally over the taped area. From what I've read and my own accidental experience, dogs hate that smell and taste.

Perhaps some of the more experienced members will have better ideas later in the day once they've gotten up.

Good luck to you and Britania!
BayouBaby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Usually dogs don't get hot spots on the ankle area. They are caused by moisture getting trapped in the undercoat and irritating the skin. For those, I use to trim away the coat, use diluted(brown) listerine to disinfect the area and then apply gold bond medicated powder.
I think something else is going on due to the location of her chewing. I would get a vet check...you could still do the listerine/gold bond. It may be due to allergies or something she got into(grasses, briars) to cause the irritation.
Old 09-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Try the Gold Bond medicated powder and a benadryl, see if you can stop the itching/biting habit so it can heal
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Since this post is in the Holistic are I'm assuming that's what the OP wants advice about.

This sounds like allergies to me. My gf's dog does the same thing. Since it happened one other time I'd suspect seasonal environmental allergies. I would wash the area well, let it dry and then treat it with calendula cream. If she continues to bother with her ankles you can put socks on her. Try to get the breathable kind of socks.

Can you get Azmira products over there?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your advice I had forgotten about using the Listerine, i was advised to last time so i will try it again

Is there a particular smell or taste that dogs really hate? Some say Eucalyptus, Lavender, something called Bitter Apple or as stated above deodorant.

Thanks again
Sue
Old 09-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

Are you sure it's not a lick granuloma?

Lick granuloma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AgileGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi,

I think you have hit the nail right on the head!
This 'Lick Granuloma' idea could be the answer, i checked Wikipedia to make sure and it seems to be the same. I know she is left alone for a few hours in the morning and afternoon but i am home for lunch and around 3pm every afternoon. It can also happen when i'm 5 minutes away from the house.

I am stuck for solutions really because the local vets are closed ( for revamp ) and the nearest one is miles away. I know this is no excuse but i could really use some help finding something, bad tasting that won't irritate the area just until i can get to the vets.

She gets regular walks and plenty of attention in the house so i'm not sure what else i can do, as i have to work to pay the bills. ( and vets are soooooo expensive just to take a look at your dog )

Thanks again for everyones time and help so far,
Sue & Britania.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Miikkas mom

Get some apple cider vinegar

Apple Cider Vinegar for Dogs

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge:
Bella, 15 yr old GSD/Chow chow mix
Annie, 16 yr old Black Cocker Spaniel
Socks, 15 yr old Tuxedo cat
Miikkas mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks Miikkas Mom,

So far she's licked off everything i've tried so before i see the vet on Monday morning i'm going to give this one a try. Seems to cure everything inside and out

One question though, i found Apple Cider shampoo from Frederic Fekkai in my local chemists does this offer the same results, on the outside of course, or should it be vinegar?

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.