*Calming* Herb - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question *Calming* Herb

Do any of you give any herbs for calming ? I was told to find dry Chamomile to give daily in kibble (not sure amount ?) for a calming effect. Some real stressed enviroments, 1 of our crew does ok, but gets more nervous than our other 2. I have never done any holistic way nor meds so, was hoping to see what others have tried.

Also, input for human use ? Was gonna try Chamomile for both of us........ I get nervous before trials.

Any calming herb, etc anyone can recommend & it has helped.

~Thanks~

Sable~ GSD NJP, OJP, NAP, NAJ, NA, TN-N, NAC, NJC, CGC
Shadow~ BGSD *Adopted* RN, CGC
Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail."
LuvourGSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

I've used herbal calming treats, and herbal calming liquids on certain occasions. In fact once I somewhat "overdosed" Tessa and she acted a bit stoned lol.

I had a home visit with the Italian Greyhound Rescue for fostering, IGs are really small and delicate dogs. I knew Tessa is great with them but she used to get so rowdy when meeting new people I didn't want her to blow the home visit by her excitement. I took her to the park first and ran her for about 2 hours, then gave her the full dose of herbal calming treats (it said to split it in half over 4 hours...) Then right before the woman arrived, I gave her a few more "for good measure" because I doubted they would make much of a difference. Tessa greeted the woman calmly, then spent the rest of her visit sacked out sleeping in the corner. At the end the woman remarked how laid back Tessa was. I blushed and said well she isn't usually this laid back but we were at the park for a while so she must be exhausted...

Moral of the story, those things DO work! haha. So don't go overboard before a trial
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

LOL, thanks ! The trial thingy is more to calm me. Would like to go a natural route other than meds from doc. I'm not a pill/med taker at all & don't want to get hooked on something.

The dog gets stressed some at trials, but more like in crazy class setting or in public some.

I just have no clue on what to try or how much ?????

What did you use ?

So far, was told Chamomile, Cat Nip, or Rescue Remedy. I would like to stay with 1, not sure on the mixing ? Would be great if could use like 1 wk before a trial & not have to use daily.

That's why I'm asking, never have done anything like this & would love to go holistic......

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Old 04-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

mixing herbs is fine if you know what you are doing, if you aren't it can cause a chemical reaction! I would go with the combination products there are out there. These are the treats I used in my above story Dog Treats: Drs. Foster & Smith Ultra-CalmŪ Bites for Dogs

I don't like rescue remedy because of the addition of alcohol in it. For yourself chamomile, valerian, and lavender are calming herbs. You could go to an herbal store and get a satchet of those mixed and put it in your pillow case the night before something stressful. Or a couple drops of essential oil on your pillowcase. But be careful in buying essential oils, if you do that read this first How to Buy Essential Oils
Lin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
I don't like rescue remedy because of the addition of alcohol in it.
RR is available for pets alcohol free, preserved in glycerin, if you wanted to try it....have used it successfully and have used valerian (smells really bad my dog didn't appreciate it!) for myself...it works too if it's for you, but careful can make you drowsy!

Original Bach Rescue Remedy now alcohol free for Pets

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
Gib Laut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Red face

Thanks for those that have shared their info to me so far. Any others ?

With the RR, do you have to give that daily to work ? Does anyone give their dogs dried herbs daily ? If so, what ? Ever use Hilton Herbs ?

I have called around & found I can order a 1 lb bag of dry Chamomile. I was going to use this in his kibble daily. Also was told Cat Nip is a calmer ?

For me, thought about trying Chamomile capsules or extract ? Just not sure if you take a few days before a trial or you need to do daily ?

That's why I'm asking on the holistic forum, wanting to learn. May PM me if not wanting to share here.

~Thanks~

Storm~ GSD RA, TN-N, CGC
Skyrah~ GSD, CGC

Old 08-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Chammomile,cat nip,vervain(verbena),hops(herb-NOT alcoholic) and valerian root are ''safe'' calming agents. I use cat nip,mint,St.john's wort,and chamomile made into a light tea and add to the water bowl.I also add a few drops of suma/ginseng tinicture(glycerin base) to combat ''stress'' into the bowl when they are showing signs of stress or going to undergo a medical treatment the next day.

~**~
prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvourGSDs View Post
Thanks for those that have shared their info to me so far. Any others ?

With the RR, do you have to give that daily to work ? Does anyone give their dogs dried herbs daily ? If so, what ? Ever use Hilton Herbs ?

I have called around & found I can order a 1 lb bag of dry Chamomile. I was going to use this in his kibble daily. Also was told Cat Nip is a calmer ?

For me, thought about trying Chamomile capsules or extract ? Just not sure if you take a few days before a trial or you need to do daily ?

That's why I'm asking on the holistic forum, wanting to learn. May PM me if not wanting to share here.

~Thanks~
Yes. Cat nip is a calming herb for dogs and humans.It is for cats too,but they get a more profound ''excitable'' phase prior to the relaxation.Humans and dogs do not get that loopy phase first.If your having anxiety I suggest skullcap tinicture.Skullcap does very well for my anxiety.If you get stress/tension headaches with your anxiety-try feverfew instead.It is used to treat tension headaches/migranes by relaxing you.I use Mountain Rose herbs for my herbal needs. Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs

~**~
prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Rose geranium oil is a calming oil/ also used to repel ticks and fleas.
Rose Geranium Essential Oil - Dreaming Earth
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I went to the doctor not too long ago because I would get really anxious before falling asleep, and thus couldn't, and she actually told me to go to the store and get some melatonin. Your body produces it naturally, and basically the way she described it was it was the reason you feel relaxed after eating a big meal. They don't make me fall asleep, but I do find they relax me a little. You might try that. Though I would recommend whatever you try you try it out before the trial so you know how your body reacts to it before you're at a trial.

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.