*Calming* Herb - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You can get melatonin at any grocery pharmacy.I get the 3mcg and my dog Kacie takes two before storms.

There is an article on storm phobias and other fears in the most recent WDJ and veterinary behaviorist Dr. Nicholas Dodman(from Tufts university) was writing about melatonin benefits:
Standard human dosage of 3 milligrams to dogs weighing 40 to 60 pounds, increase that amount to 6 or even 9 mg as needed. Melatonin is a hormone that is very safe to use; he said you couldn't poison a dog with it if you tried, and it can be combined with other behavior-modifying drugs as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You can get melatonin at any grocery pharmacy.I get the 3mcg and my dog Kacie takes two before storms.

There is an article on storm phobias and other fears in the most recent WDJ and veterinary behaviorist Dr. Nicholas Dodman(from Tufts university) was writing about melatonin benefits:
Standard human dosage of 3 milligrams to dogs weighing 40 to 60 pounds, increase that amount to 6 or even 9 mg as needed. Melatonin is a hormone that is very safe to use; he said you couldn't poison a dog with it if you tried, and it can be combined with other behavior-modifying drugs as needed.
I didn't realize you could give it to a dog! So during thunderstorms or fireworks I could give Sasha a few and it might help...interesting. I think I'll have to try that, as I don't really like medicine, but 4th of July was so miserable for her this year I was considering doggy downers for next year...Hmmm. Thanks for the info!

NewbieShepherdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

hi , when I was making deliveries at the local Global Pet the owner drew my attention to a new display she had by her cash registry.

she said her customers with anxious dogs swore by it .

@-Eaze All Natural Calming Gel for dogs frightened by thunderstorms, fireworks , visits to the vet or groomers anxiety, travel problems and separation anxiety.

Takes effect in 30 minutes or less and lasts for 6 to 8 hours.
One ingredient is l-theanine , found in green tea . There is no drowsiness or loss of function . Anxiety - Nutritional Protocols & Supplements for Anxiety | Aviva.ca used by students to help in study and test anxieties .

www.PetzLife.com I have no experience with the product. I do make myself familiar with good products that are available so that I can help wherever possible .

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have used Composure with good results, it's a food-based natural calming aid, I think it uses amino acids rather than herbs. Doesn't make the dog loopy or anything, just seems to take the edge off.

Amazon.com: Vetri-Science Composure Liquid for Dogs & Cats, 8 Ounce: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Vetri-Science Composure Liquid for Dogs & Cats, 8 Ounce: Pet Supplies

I have also used an herbal tincture called Ow-Ease made by Molly's Herbals. She compounded the tincture specifically for goats, as goats do not tolerate pain medication well, but it's labeled for dogs and humans also. It DOES make you sleepy and eases pain as well. I use it myself when the pain is making it hard to sleep.

Ow-Eze
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955

Here's another aromatherapy solution.

Doggie Calm Aromatherapy Oil | Dog-Friendly Dog Training and Safety Tools
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
paulag1955 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 AM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

I've used (for myself) an old patent medicine called Calms Forte(available online) It works without any side effects--for me. IIRC it contains valerian root and passionflower which have been found effective in clinical trials. Melatonin makes me feel weird and is not to be used with alcohol--and I enjoy an evening cocktail.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2011, 09:47 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lemon Balm is supposed to be good for calming. You can give it in a few different possible forms... I have it growing in the yard, it smells really nice but it's related to mint and I would not recommend growing it in the ground because it spreads like crazy. You can give it fresh, make a tea out of fresh or dried leaves, steep it in honey, etc...

Here is some info on the uses of Lemon Balm for dogs (It also is anti-microbial, good for wounds/hotspots, digestion, etc):
Lemon Balm
Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Great thread that I just fell on. I do not post here much anymore so many of you do not know me. I just happened by today!

Not to thread jack but my 4 year old Havoc (my avatar) is very drivy and over the top sometimes. In obedience he barks excitedly and in agility he has been know to grab me. When he gets this way he is no longer thinking calmly. I am looking for an herb to take the edge off of him to help him calm in the ring (me too now I think!) Any of the above good for this?? I am looking at the Doggie Calm that Paula posted.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Bach flower essences are bunk, and so are many of the products out there. I have never seen a single decent un-biased study proving the effectiveness of Rescue Remedy. I think it's mainly placebo effect, and effects of the alcohol in it (if enough is consumed).

Some of the other "calming" products may have some effective ingredients in them, but use too little dosage to actually be effective. Valerian root is commonly taken for insomnia and anxiety/stress (and given to dogs), but there's also no proof it helps with anxiety. Anyone giving their dog herbs has to read up on any contraindications or potential health effects like liver issues. Just because it's "natural" does not mean it's harmless!

For calming, a few things: DAP (Dog Appeasing Pheromone) is proven to be effective in some dogs. They have diffusers, collars, and a spray you could put on the dogs bedding or on a bandanna. Melatonin is something to look into, and has been used with success for anxiety. Lavender essential oil is supposed to have a calming effect. I'm not sure if aromatherapy is truly effective, but at least it's harmless and smells good. Another product I recommend is Composure by VetriScience, which contains L-Theanine.

For humans with anxiety, diazepam or alprazolam While medication is often effective for both dogs and humans... this is the natural health section. If you want the natural route, there's Valerian root again, there's a product I take called Busy Brain that contains B-vitamins/L-theanine and is supposed to help support focus and calmness without drowsiness- Busy Brain Release?. Also exercise, yoga, meditation, music.
Dynamo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 09:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Dynamo. I have tried Rescue Remedy on several dogs and myself and have not seen any positive result either.

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
UAG1,UNN1,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UAG1,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" BN,NA,NAJ,RN,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
Kayos and Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.