Pee-pee leaks in sleep - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Pee-pee leaks in sleep

We noticed that Wolfie has been leaking urine in his sleep pretty much ever since his neutering. We never noticed this before neutering and didn't really know what we could do about it. Especially with his kidney issues, I didn't want to upset the apple cart, so to speak. I can live with a little urine leakage, I thought. Problem is when he gets up on the couch for a nap and puts his butt right where my head goes and then proceeds to leak all over the area. I don't have the heart to forbid him from the couch, so I try to put on a protective layer (whenever I remember i.e.).

Now my reason for the post: I recently noticed a product called "Leaks No More":

http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...re/120003.aspx

Does anybody here have any experience with this product? I am approaching this very gingerly, again, given his kidney issues.
UConnGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Pee-pee leaks in sleep

Have you discussed this with his vet? how long has this been occurring?
Has he been tested for a urinary infection (sample should be obtained directly from the bladder).

Most cases of urinary incontinemce are seen in spayed female dogs so treatments are often directed at this population.

Depending on how technical you are, you may find this article helpful - it is important to follow up any incontinence issues with a vet as the underlying causes may range from a common UI to neurological or neoplastic disorders.

Sorry I can't comment on the "Leaks No More" remedy.
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I used that remedy for Chama and it worked but I would definitely have him checked for a UTI before giving him anything. It's not normal for a male dog to leak after a neuter.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Out of 65 reviews, typically very few patients were male:

1 male, some effect
1 male, no effect
1 male used short term, seemed effective
(there are also a few unknown sex, no or poor effect)

Bottom Line:No, I would not recommend this to a friend
generated either no response from the manufacturer or this one:

Only Natural Pet Store Response:The effectiveness of Leaks No More, as with ANY herbal or natural remedy, varies with the health of the animal. As with traditional medications, animals with advanced or major illness may not respond as well as animals with emergent or mild health concerns.

I'd like to have seen recommendations of other products/ideas from the company rather than this stock' statement

I recall that SouthernThistle ( last topic ) had a male who leaked for sometime after his neuter so you might contact her.
Alto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Thanks, Alto & Ruth, for the feedback. Wolfie was checked out several times for UTI. For a while, we were doing urine tests every month or so -- especially given his history of having had 2 bouts of severe e-coli infections. Thankfully, after doing a long regimen of PetUTI from AskAriel.com, there has not been a recurrence of UTI. All his urine tests came back clean. I had heard about this drip-drip-drip-in-my-sleep problem in neutered males (not sure where though) but not having had a neutered dog before, I didn't know whether this was abnormal. I will get it checked out by the vet. FYI, Wolfie gets monthly blood work done and apart from the slightly elevated BUN and creatinine, there are no pointers there regarding this problem.

Also, I just came back from a trip and didn't see your comments until just now. I gave him his first dose this morning. So should I stop? I'll PM SouthernThistle too.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: AltoHas he been tested for a urinary infection (sample should be obtained directly from the bladder).
This is the one that they do under anasthesia (sp?) with ultrasound, right? If so, yes, we had it done at Cornell, nothing showed up there. I will dig through the article you sent and discuss with my vet.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would try that product, it's not going to hurt if it doesn't help.

I would also check any of your supplements. There are a few of us whose dogs leak when they have too much sulfur based stuff - that would included MSM, taurine, garlic, and others.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Okay, LisaT, I'm giving the product a shot.

Also, that's interesting info about the supplement. Here's what Wolfie gets:
Solid Gold Seameal http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc...8-1ed7365f391b
Salmon Oil
Welactin
Vetriscience Renal Essentials http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/produc.../125028.2.aspx
Vitamin B-12 250 mcg
Calcitriol
The only "culprit" in terms of sulphur that I can think of would be the Solid Gold. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.