Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 8 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2012, 02:34 PM   #71 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have you had allergy testing done?

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2012, 11:53 PM   #72 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshifter View Post
Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I posted last. Ramsay has been through **** and back.
I firmly believe his allergies have 100% been cause by idiot vets and our lack of knowledge trusting in them. Ramsay was given shot after shot with booster shots on top (one time our old vet gave him a 5 in 1 shot) over the last 2 years. We have had an itchy dog right since almost day 1 with him.

We tried different kibbles, cheap stuff to the $100 bag stuff... nothing worked. Ramsay then went on an all raw food diet eliminating poultry and still nothing. So now he has raw poultry and beef to mix things up. Last November the vet recommended a dose of prednisone with a 1 month oral dose twice a day there after. This I swear would have killed our dog if we let the full month continue. This is where I truly started to do my research and I feel confident in putting the blame on the vaccines.

Since then we have had Ramsay visit a horticultural all natural vet. We have had our buddy on several different things including a spleen support, benadryl, omega 3 oil (already in his raw food but gave him additional dose), engystol and one more I cant remember the name of.

I feel our buddy is stuck with this extreme itchy that results in patches of fur coming off his ears and head from the constant itching.

There has been a few people recommend Hydroxyzine on the board here... is this all natural? Does it have any side effects?

We love our buddy and we just want him to be itch free. He loves to swim, and this usually gets us a few hours after of itch free time.

Help!
Yep...went through same thing, except mine has winter itch (8 months of year, gets progressively worse...steroid shot 1 x only (wouldn't do pills), fish oil, LID, vit.e changed to raw...still winter itch. Jan. 2009 1st trip to Holistic vet said the body is toxic and it didn't get that way overnight. The immune system needs help she scripted "Astragalas Root", I continued With Vit e. and fish oil and b-complex along with pancreatic enzyme fall/winter 09 into 2010 - winter itch.

near end of summer 2010 I started treating his liver with Milk thistle, about a month later I added Red Clover (along with noted above), come Oct. the itching began...fur starts coming off backs of ears....I continued...By Dec. barely a noticable itch, some but mild, ear fur came back, and his back didn't crawl when I ran my hand down it...This year for various reasons I didn't follow that protocol...Pretty itchy and started having internal ear problems (cleaned w/coconut oil - now great!)

What I have learned along the way along with GSD's wonky digestive issues, susceptibility to pancreatitis and/or EPI, Thyroid problems (and yes likely caused by vaccines as you noted - was thyroid test done? may be part of problem - I use kelp - works great + has trace minerals)...

They also may be lacking an enzyme called intrinsic factor which is responsible for B-12 uptake. another issue with sheps. along with enzyme deficiencies and the inability to break down fats, but the inability to uptake them to be used by the body...fat deficiency = itchy skin...Another Holistic Vet I consulted with advised to feed coconut oil as it is processed through a different mechanism than animal fats and won't cause harm and risk acute pancreatitis.

Note: you don't want to feed, fish oil, E, and red clover - all are blood thinning - could cause problems
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown

Last edited by GatorBytes; 07-20-2012 at 11:56 PM.
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #73 (permalink)

I wish I had seen this post a few months back. Poor Mox has had the itchiest skin for several months until recently. We were doing 2 Benedryl twice a day for itching, but she (and our little dog) became immune. Then, the vet put her on prednisone with antibiotics and antifungals. Since we have started treating the problem (ehrlichiosis), her natural oils have returned, and she is less itchy than she has ever been.

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #74 (permalink)

Tank has seasonal contact allergies. After being on some meds (doggie strentgh benadryl) they had me buy a medicated shampoo. He used to lick his paws til they were raw and then it spread to his face. He scratched the daylights out of it til the hair around his eyes was just about gone and the top of his nose of raw. He looked horrible. So.....I was told to was his face and paws with the medicated shampoo 2 to 3 times a week and after every time he came back inside to wipe it all down with baby wipes. It has worked wonders!!!! No more shampoo use and all we do is wipe him down every few times he comes inside. I also switched his food to Orijens fish. He used to eat the Blue Buffalo chicken and rice for large breed. I think that contributed to some of the inflamation and itching when it happened. Give it whirl. Hope it'll help out.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #75 (permalink)

I had Madison at the vet today... 2 years into these allergy battles and the vet randomly decides to tell me "oh by the way, she's allergic to beef'.

What the ?!

Seriously...2 years later, that's a good time to tell me?? Needless to say, I finally have the paper work for her skin testing results (long story why it has taken this long, not happy about it).

Food: Lamb, Beef, Mixed Fish (not sure what that means), Milk, Duck, Venison
Grasses: Grain Mix (corn, wheat, oat)
Weeds: English Plantain, Cocklebur, Kochia
Trees: Cottonwood, Sycamore, Ash, Oak
Molds: Rhizopus, Smut Mix, Stemphylium, House Dust

(Red = High Positive reaction)

Sooo based on my experience, Vets (at least this one) are only interested in shoving steroids down your dog's throat... causing more problems in the long run... resulting in more money in their pockets. Sure, they might want to 'make your dog comfortable', but why would they want to solve the problem completely?? RIDICULOUS!

Now, I need to work on figuring out what is what here... especially the molds, and weeds.
AAndrews19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #76 (permalink)
San

AAndrews, was Madison seen by a dermatologist vet or a primary care vet? Was the allergy test based on blood-work or intradermal skin testing?

My dog started seeing a dermatologist vet in spring 2009 for pollen-related skin allergy. She did intradermal skin testing on my GSD and started her on allergy shots. My dog just had a follow-up with her dermatologist vet a couple of weeks ago. The dermatologist said that since my GSD had been symptom-free for almost 3 years, she recommended us to stop her allergy shots and released her.
San is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #77 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Something to consider Re: supposed "allergies"

You should read all on this link page, but scrolling down to part 2 it explains "histamine" Now my dog was itchy this year at time he isn't itchy...there are a # of factors for this (too deep to get into for this thread), however...I restarted a good quality B-complex - specifically a "no flush" niacin and "methyl" b-12 in the combo. Also, I re-started Magnesium (and recently additional B-12/folate but because of sketchy belly - usually b-12 deficient if poop issues). The itch has resolved...he gets winter itch, but I think it's fat related so I am pre-empting this season w/coconut oil as well for other reasons (pancreas health)...anyhow
Magnesium
Quality B-complex

Enzymes & Methylation

The start...part 2 goes like this...

Part 2: Histamine
I spent a ton of time looking into this. Here are some of the results. Please take all of this in context of everything else, these biochemical reactions are all intertwined and complex.
I was wondering WHY would histamine levels tell you about methylation function?
Methionine is a methyl carrying amino acid + ATP/magnesium = SAMe.
SAMe goes throughout the body delivering methyl groups to over 400 different reactions.
One way histamine is de-activated (eliminated) is by receiving a methyl group from SAMe. So if there is low methylation, there is low SAMe, and the histamine levels are higher because of the lack of methyl groups to deactivate it. If there is high methylation, there is higher amounts of SAMe, and lots of histamine can be deactivated....................................... .................

AND everyone thinks their dog is allergic to chicken
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2012, 04:54 AM   #78 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by San View Post
AAndrews, was Madison seen by a dermatologist vet or a primary care vet? Was the allergy test based on blood-work or intradermal skin testing?

My dog started seeing a dermatologist vet in spring 2009 for pollen-related skin allergy. She did intradermal skin testing on my GSD and started her on allergy shots. My dog just had a follow-up with her dermatologist vet a couple of weeks ago. The dermatologist said that since my GSD had been symptom-free for almost 3 years, she recommended us to stop her allergy shots and released her.
The testing was a skin test, but allergy shots were never offered to me. Instead they would send me on my with a bag full of medication every visit... I didn't know any better at the time, but now it has me pretty mad.

The only thing I knew was to stay away from steroids at all costs. I was dumb enough to pay for atopica for a little over a year... finally I stopped because it has 0 effect anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Something to consider Re: supposed "allergies"

You should read all on this link page, but scrolling down to part 2 it explains "histamine" Now my dog was itchy this year at time he isn't itchy...there are a # of factors for this (too deep to get into for this thread), however...I restarted a good quality B-complex - specifically a "no flush" niacin and "methyl" b-12 in the combo. Also, I re-started Magnesium (and recently additional B-12/folate but because of sketchy belly - usually b-12 deficient if poop issues). The itch has resolved...he gets winter itch, but I think it's fat related so I am pre-empting this season w/coconut oil as well for other reasons (pancreas health)...anyhow
Magnesium
Quality B-complex

Enzymes & Methylation

The start...part 2 goes like this...

Part 2: Histamine
I spent a ton of time looking into this. Here are some of the results. Please take all of this in context of everything else, these biochemical reactions are all intertwined and complex.
I was wondering WHY would histamine levels tell you about methylation function?
Methionine is a methyl carrying amino acid + ATP/magnesium = SAMe.
SAMe goes throughout the body delivering methyl groups to over 400 different reactions.
One way histamine is de-activated (eliminated) is by receiving a methyl group from SAMe. So if there is low methylation, there is low SAMe, and the histamine levels are higher because of the lack of methyl groups to deactivate it. If there is high methylation, there is higher amounts of SAMe, and lots of histamine can be deactivated....................................... .................

AND everyone thinks their dog is allergic to chicken

Okay....now in english?
AAndrews19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #79 (permalink)

Hey do you happen to know how much Fish Oil and Vitamin E to give? I have a 5 month old male German Shepherd who is about 60 pounds. He has been to the Vet for his itchy skin a couple times now and they have just been prescribing steroids and telling me to use Benadryl and it hasn't worked. Please let me know. Thanks
scott26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #80 (permalink)
Elite Member

yeah my vet told me to never put my dog on any of the allergy shots, he says he has no hope that they actually do anything and thinks they do more harm than good.

he actually told me to research online myself and to treat symptoms as they come topically or through anti inflamitory if they were severe.
pets4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.