Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #41 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Vio79
Default Re: Allergies...help me without steroids

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Maedchen
It's not gonna be a quick fix. You don't just throw in a couple supplements and see immediate results- it might take years. You have to provide the best possible diet (home made if possible) and most def. avoid all vaccinations and pestice products (HW, flea/tick stuff). My girl took over 2 years until she was cured of her hotspots, swelling in the armpits, chronic eardischarge and "grass allergy". She wasn't cured bc of the supplements, they only helped to help herself, along with the diet and avoiding additional toxins.
I read this a few days ago and am coming back to it, because I may try with our dog. But is it okay to go without the flea/tick treatment, especially in an area like New England (in the warmer months)? Also, I would love to avoid vaccinations - is it really okay to go without all besides rabies?
Vio79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM   #42 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have the experience to answer this. So,

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
LJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

For the vaccines, there are two different issues. If your dog has never been vaccinated, versus whether it has. So I would start by asking how old your dog is and also the number of vaccinations, how frequent, etc. Different answers for the two different scenarios.

It often is not safe to go without protection from fleas and ticks, but sometimes there are ways to mitigate that. I know that many have had luck with alternatives for fleas (Bug Off is a popular product on the board). I am not convinced it can take care of ticks, but some individuals seem to think so and I defer to them since I haven't used it.

My girl reacts to the tick spot-ons, so I have,t been using them. I have been experimenting with various homemade sprays, on vacation, I do use the preventic collar. Frontline Top Spot (not the plus), has the least amount of "stuff" in it for a spot-on. For HW, I am in a high HW area, I use Interceptor at 1/5 the standard dose. In general, I don't like "all-in-one" products.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #44 (permalink)

Thanks for the info. I think since Max is 6, he's had a lot of his vaccinations and we just gave him the major parvo and distempter booster a couple weeks ago. So I guess it doesn't make sense to go without at this point.

Used to use the Fontline Plus, but he hasn't been on anything for a while since the vet gave him Ivermectin. The next dose of Frontline Plus (we still have like 7 months worth already bought), along with his Interceptor for heartworm would be at the end of this month. I guess maybe we'll just finish off what we have for now and then consider something else. But we have found many ticks (including deer ticks) crawling around on him, so I'm pretty reluctant to go without protection around here.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Vio79we just gave him the major parvo and distempter booster a couple weeks ago

Stupid idiot vet, and that's just about the kindest thing I can say, considering the health problems that your boy is having.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He absolutely should not get any more vaccinations! My gsd, Basu, had terrible skin problems because of over-vaccinating!

I have never used any chemical flea or tick stuff. I am one of the Bug Off Garlic people. I've been using it on my dogs for 6 years and in that time have found ONE tick total on 5 different dogs. I have found ticks on myself but not on the dogs.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: LisaT
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Vio79we just gave him the major parvo and distempter booster a couple weeks ago

Stupid idiot vet, and that's just about the kindest thing I can say, considering the health problems that your boy is having.

Ugh I wish I had known all this BEFORE letting them vaccinate the heck out of Max. Makes me so mad. Poor dog is probably so screwed up because of these vets - I guess I made a good decision by stopping all treatments (except maybe acupuncture, which would be with a new, holistic vet) once we see our current vet to get sutures out. And ask about a thyroid panel.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 PM   #48 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Kudos to you for trying as much as you have been trying. Sounds like none of the vets have really done much for his health at all

Well, hopefully you can get him stable, and then find the right match for you guys.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 PM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Fluffypants It really bothers me, but the hematoma surgery is between $600 & $700.
Wow. I see some country vets where I live and it cost $200 dollars for my dogs hematoma and that included six weeks of follow up care where they changed the bandages, medication, and the cone. The only down side was that this office didn't take appointments. It was walk in so you had to wait a long time. But the vets are knowledgable, and the prices are GREAT!

My dog is suffering from severe allergies complete with secondary bacterial infections and yeast issues. I use the anti-yeast shampoo, I condition, I use apple cider vinegar topically and orally, I use fish oil, ester C, wash the bedding in non-chemical soap, he's on prednisone and it's still not getting better.

He's had a complete bloodwork up and skin scraping. Nothing.

I'm at my wits end.

There were some other supplements in this thread that I haven't tried so I will try those and see if it works.

My poor doggie.
IllinoisNative is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #50 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are there any positive experiences to report after following any of these suggestions?

Jazz von Jagenstadt aka Tosca
J litter
DHau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.