Allergies...help me without steroids - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2009, 01:30 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Allergies...help me without steroids

Thank you Natalie... it is awful that they can be allergic to anything. I think I'm paranoid because I read everything on labels for the dogs... not for myself of course. LOL

I have done the elimination diet several times... with the Science Death foods, quality dog foods and even raw ( I raw fed for 4 years). Nothing ever made a huge difference... although I have been pondering going back to raw since it was awhile ago and I tend to think Niko has gotten worse... he just might have been better on raw than how he is now.

I didn't try the Comfortis... it has pork in it... the only protein Niko came back as allergic too! It figures.

It would probably be a good idea to try a B-Complex. Anyone know the dosage for 105lber or better yet... anyone recommend a good book that might have this info in it??

Thank you!!
Tanja
RIP ~ Storm ~ My sweet boy ~ There will never be another like you!
RIP ~ Boo ~ My bold kitty
Fluffypants is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 11:35 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Belfield has a book on his website that talks about supplements and health - orthomoleular medicine is the field.

For a 105 pound dog, I would be comfortable with a conservative human dose. For Indy, her vitamin has brewer's yeast, and I also give her a B-50. Max, twice her size, only gets something roughly equivalent to a B-25 because he just gets hyper.

I actually also give bioflavanoids.

For the flax, I buy it in bulk (can be found in health food stores, grocery stores here, etc.), and grind it in a small coffee grinder each night.

If the change in food hasn't helped, hopefully putting stuff into the diet (rather than taking it out), will help??

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks once again Lisa. It's funny because any food I have fed him has not really made any big difference. That's why I figured I would give the Nature's Logic another try... it is one of the only foods out there that he could eat according to his food allergy test (although that might not be accurate).

I'm also going to look into a book too! I do hope adding to Niko's food helps. My only concern now is that he is on pred for his hematoma... I may stop at whole foods and pick up a refrigerated probiotic tonight. Niko can also easily get gastro issues.

Thank you!!
Tanja
Old 11-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I hope it helps. Hope *something* helps.

The other thing to perhaps keep in the back of your mind, is that there couod be a yeast issue. I kept asking our vet about this for Max, and she didn't think much of it. But Max is on an anti-fungal and all sorts of things are getting better.

If it's yeast or fungal, anything with brewer's yeast, grains, starches, and even fruits will trigger problems.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #35 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thank you Lisa. When I had all the allergy testing etc done... he was scraped and scraped for everything and no yeast came back. Not sure how accurate that is, but he does smell at times. I'll keep the yeast triggers in mind.

He is constantly licking his butt after he goes to bathroom and this is something that has always puzzled me. Every diet he has done this (Raw, ZD, all premium foods etc) I have had my vet check him numous times for perianal fistula and he looks fine down there.

This is what I was thinking of ordering:

Mega C Plus
Canine Plus Multivitamin - the tablet does not contact brewer's yeast... althought the soft chews do. Read this one the label.

I was also thinking of another product I saw... Nature's Logic food fortifier supplement instead of the Missing link. All of Nature's logic products have brewer's yeast... he is eating the kibble as well.

http://www.natureslogic.com/products/fortifier.html

I was looking thru the NOW website (used their products before) and was totally confused as to what to buy and thought... just buy the Mega C and Canine plus for now. I'll never decide what to order! LOL

If I need to Flaxseed - I can get it from one of the health food stores.

Thanks again
Tanja
Old 11-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Tanja

Some thoughts/questions

What type of allergy testing did you do, skin vs blood? Was flea saliva included in the test to determine FAD? If you have done elimination diet and see no difference regardless of food fed maybe even if he did test allergic to foods he may not be, especially if it was a blood test. They can give both false negatives and positives. Have you fed pork and had a reaction? Has the itching ever been seasonal to make you believe in the environmental correlation?

Here is a good link I'd like to add to this thread about natural treatment of allergies,

"Using Whole Food Supplements to Treat a Common Skin Disorder in Dogs" by Dr. Shawn Messonnier, DVM

http://www.pawsforpeace.com/files/Using_...20in_20Dogs.pdf

Way back a holistic vet put Penny on colostrum (have you tried that?) for immune building and standard process's allerplex for support. The Doc mentions standard process supplements in the link above. Ever tried any of them?

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Fluffypants Not sure how accurate that is, but he does smell at times.
Certainly something to keep in mind are the secondary conditions that can happen because of the primary allergy condition.

It is very normal for an allergic dog to have yeast, bacteria and or seborrhea on their skin, all of which smell to a certain extent. These secondary conditions can take on a life of their own compounding the original problem and can make the dog itch even more.

In these cases a medicated shampoo is usually necessary, and if you need to use it often that's okay, just follow up with a conditioner so the skin doesn't dry out

Old 11-24-2009, 02:37 PM   #38 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hi Natalie,

Yes to all of the questions below. Niko had both the intradermal skin testing and blood - (VARL). They were cross referenced and a serum was made by Dr. Lowell Ackerman (Tufts). Dr. Ackerman is a pretty well known dermatologist who was practicing in the Boston area. He wrote many books and I was happy to get an appt with him. I also did on my own the blood test for food and had it sent to VARL. The derm's do not like to test for food via blood.

Niko is allergic to most bugs... fleas, mosquitos etc. Actually bugs, dust mites and mold were his biggies! I did do the allergy shots for a year and did see some improvement, but no one was able to give Niko the shot... he was completely stressed out. 4 vet tech's and myself had the most difficult time that I gave up because Niko was so freaked out. Not biting or anything, just flailing around and the tech's were frustrated too. I had no help and couldn't do it by myself.

Thinking back.. the itching was more seasonal and is now pretty much all the time... just like what was written by Dr. Messonnier.

Niko has seen 2 holistic vets and a homeopathic vet (plus his traditional vet and derm) He was put on colostrum by one vet (who I have thought of going back to see... I really liked her). She is far away and has no weekend appt's... so it was difficult to go every few weeks.

The first holistic vet he saw had him on all Standard Process products... to the tune of about $400 a visit. LOL I actually had to create a spreadsheet in order to keep track of which supplement to give Niko in the a.m. vs. pm. I did that for about 4-5 months and just couldn't afford it anymore... especially without seeing any noticeable results.

I was a little gun-shy with the holistic vets at first since I spent probably around $2,000 with the first one and saw no major results. I did realize it takes time.. but I could never have afforded to continue (already working 2 jobs). LOL

Not sure what I should try next... and this is why I was thinking about building his immune system up... although he is on pred now for an aural hematoma again... same ear. Hoping to eliminate the hematoma without having to do surgery again. I hate pred and feel awful about him on it. It really bothers me, but the hematoma surgery is between $600 & $700.

Thank you and any advice or products you think might help... feel free... I'm game for anything at this point.

Tanja
Old 11-24-2009, 02:53 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hmmmm, you sound like me and all we went through plus some. Did the skin testing include foods or only the blood? So have you ever fed pork and noted a reaction?

Just still thinking about the comfortis, especially if he has tested positive for the flea saliva. Wondering if he is truly allergic to both, if pork could be the lesser evil or the two and you still try the comfortis. But if you knew for sure pork sends him haywire than that wouldn't be good. I know at this point I am sounding repetitive, but that med has made such a difference for Penny. . .but I know all our babies are different.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #40 (permalink)
Elite Member

Glad to hear there is another like me! LOL Just kidding. I feel like I've done it all and at times feel like there is no hope. The skin testing and blood work (all done at the same time) was for inhallant... no food was ever done by the derm. I actually had my regular vet draw the blood and I sent the sample to VARL for the food test just this past October.

Sorry... never answered the pork question... must have gotten carried away. Well, I have fed pork when I fed raw and I never noticed any crazy reaction. I suppose I could give it a try, but I've never had a flea issue with any of my pets... never have even seen one. Although I'm sure if Niko was to be bit by one... it will cause him to be very itchy.

Maybe I should give it a try.

I've had a very difficult time figuring out what is making him so itchy... I can never pin point if it's food. I'm starting to think it's not because he is itchy all the time.

Thank you!!
Tanja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.