German Shepherds Forum banner

Passed Instinct Herding Test

4K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Jenny720 
#1 · (Edited)
Max passed his Herding Instinct Test!!! The instructor is 10 minutes away from our house and will start lessons next week!!! Our instructor said Max did great with lots of natural instinct and drive and learns very quick. Max did try to get to close to the sheep he got a lot light tap with the flag pole- it also makes a weird noise. The first time he got reprimanded he checked in with me like is this okay? It was very interesting to watch Max piece things together and figure things out. It was a very hot day. The first part was walking around the perimeter with Max then getting closer to the sheep on long lead then loose. One sheep strayed once in the beginning then that was it.
I did get some on video with Max and the instructor -it was very exciting to watch and lots of fun!
http://youtu.be/_6H4jaqLxvs

#8 ·
Fantastic!! Congratulations :)

#9 ·
Thank you! There were a few people watching with their dogs and said it was the best herding evaluation they have seen. An activity for us to do for fun and strengthen his training. I just don't want to get run over by any sheep-the instructor makes it look easy!!!

#11 ·
Yes it's nice being in the same town. I do give all you credit for the dedication and time put in on the road to train. I was very interesting to watch that natural instinct go to work - max took to those sheep right away. I played some sheep sounds on our way there- lol! The instructor said you learn a lot about the dog in how the sheep react to the dog, that the sheep read the dog who enters the pen right away. The more alert the sheep are and stick together shows a strong dog. All I really know. Im sure there will be much to learn. Good way to start the summer! Looking forwArd to hearing more of your sheep herding adventures!!!

#12 ·
#14 ·
Congratulations to you and Max! I loved watching the video. Come over to join us on this thread below as well, as WIBackpacker and I are also training our dogs. She is working with sheep and for me, goats! So cool to see them working the animals. Max looks great!
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/herding/604297-ayla-~-herding-foundation-stock-manners.html[/QUOTE

Thank you much:smile: and yes thank you for the invite- most certainly be exciting to share and read more about the adventures of herding Sheep and Goats!

#13 ·
Congratulations! Looked great! My girl does this with the horses, especially while getting ground work, lol... Around and around, change directions, around and around... I had a male years ago who always went the opposite direction of the horse (except trail rides or arena work being ridden), lol... Max is handsome! How old?

#15 ·
Hi thank you! Max is 19 months. Yeah its a strong natural instinct that they have not lost. Yeah max always wants the family to stay together on group walks when my little nephew strays ahead he will want to round him up to join the crew:smile:

#16 · (Edited)
To update this thread we had our second lesson. Max really enjoy this and seems very content. He is doing great no lack in focus on sheep even when watching other lessons he has full focus. He did get a mouthful of wool. I got to see how his body posture changed- stiff tail, head low, ears flat back on side of head all in a second. We are working on the "get outs and walking in" and lessons are very structured and controlled. To start I'm handling max on lead working on him with training commands and instructor is handling max off lead with sheep.
We watched a young girl and her border collie's lesson they were fabulous. I really can't imagine us close to getting that stage but I like that it is givin to us in pieces. It is a lot to grasp and so new. So still unsure of what is expected the instructor said that max is doing great and he has tons of drive. The instructor said she really likes Max and I can do many things with a dog like him.

I will be working on our "get out" at home - it's a reprimand used when the dog is getting to close to the sheep and the dog has to turn and walk away and turn to face the sheep and sit. Max just doesn't sit off lead. On lead he will sit but it will be slow motion sit. So we will work on that.

#17 ·
This was a great lesson I can see this coming together and out continued work on the get outs have been paying off - not quite with the sit but yet but I can see big improvements in such a short time. Much more work ahead but liking what I see.

Max - practicing get outs at home no wooly sheep distractions here - just some balls flying around.
http://youtu.be/wHJKoyvI58Q

#20 ·
Dear Sheepherding Diary,- lol

I has been a hot summer and missed a few lessons Max would definitely kill himself herding sheep. Just to update this thread seeing such big improvement. Max has been wearing a metal basket muzzle just so he can't bite any sheep and know what that would be like. He has made such huge improvements which took awhile and lots of hard work. I can though finally get him to "get out" which is back away from the sheep and lay down when he gets to close off lead and in pursuit. I can tell you I'm happy with just this as he can listen to me in very intense that mode he is in. We have much more work to do myself even more. the instructor makes it looks so eAsy- it is not. I still not have a clue what I'm actually doing. I had him out a down and sheep even ran past him inches away. Max did sideward glance but stayed put. Really can't think of a more difficult distraction I really can't. Just very happy.

#21 ·
Nice!Excellent job both of you:)And it has been too hot to do much of anything in the daylight hours.I'm beginning to feel like a vampire not doing much until dusk.

#22 ·
Nice!Excellent job both of you
And it has been too hot to do much of anything in the daylight hours.I'm beginning to feel like a vampire not doing much until dusk.
Thanks dogma!!! Yes we got walloped with that awful humidity turning many into vampires - lol! I'm dreading the shorter days though and any thoughts of a long winter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.