German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Herding (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/herding/)
-   -   Why can't I find herding? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/herding/484033-why-cant-i-find-herding.html)

Ltleo 08-29-2014 01:02 PM

Why can't I find herding?

Ok. I've tied before and always get nowhere. I'm trying to find a herding training facility and or evaluation site near essex NJ. I'm aware i might have to drive 30 mins or so.
Problem is, when I find some, I never receive any information back when I try to confirm a visit.

Thanks for any and all help or advise.

Just looking for a new fun way to work/train/play with my boy to keep expanding his mental stimulation and growth

Lilie 08-29-2014 01:58 PM

You could also try Agility. Or maybe joining a GSD club in your area.

mspiker03 08-29-2014 02:16 PM

I would try calling. My herding trainer has email but is terrible about it. Also, maybe check the AKC and AHBA event listings to see if there are any events in your area coming up.

I would also expand your drive time to at least an hour. I have never driven less than an hour to go herding.

DJEtzel 08-29-2014 03:58 PM

Herding trainers are notorious for being hard to get into contact with, it seems!

dawnandjr 08-29-2014 10:01 PM

Pretty sure he has clients that come from NJ for training. Usually does a few lessons in a weekend for you. Trial is coming up on Oct 11th. Going to watch. Hopefully either both of my pups or one of them will be suitable for training when they are old enough.

Truly pasture raised lambs. White Clover Sheep Farm

Ltleo 08-30-2014 08:05 AM

Thank you every one. Glad it's just not me, with the ol getting a hold of them lol. I figured I would have to drive an hr also, but threw out the 30 min ride for wishful dreaming lol.

I'm not to sure about agility, as from what I've seen, (granted not much) everything just seems to restricted.
The idea with herding was, as I could be wrong also, but more opened, interaction with animals. (I really am interested in this, as I have ferrets and cats at home that my boy interacts with) I wanted to expand on this and grow. M boy has already started to with me follow my hand signs while out running.
I take him out for fetch/tug-reinforcement drills in open parks or fields. He seems to love it, as he can explore off via himself, chase squires and birds, and while in chase I call him back to a heal, or Platz with his tug to reinforce. He will also stalk and crouch down while moving. Slow to sneak up, while **** then freeze look back at me for an "ok" or just stares until I say go... Then off he chases. Things like this just give me the idea that hearding would be very rewarding for him. Even if it's something that he can just partly do. I also love being out and working with animals, so it gives us an amazing bonding partnership, just the two of us.
Sorry for the long responce. Just wanted to give a back story of what I'm looking for. If anyone has other ideas of things to look into that might be enticing, please let me know!

Thank you!!!!

wolfstraum 08-30-2014 08:25 AM

there used to be a herding club in NJ but it died for lack of enough support...there were only 2 GSD herding (HGH) clubs in the US....now there is one only - in the Finger Lakes region that is mentioned above

:( :( :(

Lee

lauren43 08-30-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnandjr (Post 5962865)
Pretty sure he has clients that come from NJ for training. Usually does a few lessons in a weekend for you. Trial is coming up on Oct 11th. Going to watch. Hopefully either both of my pups or one of them will be suitable for training when they are old enough.

Truly pasture raised lambs. White Clover Sheep Farm

Wow this is really close to me. Perhaps we will think about it when my pup hits 1 year...we will be training for fly ball not too far from here!

Ltleo 08-30-2014 09:20 AM

This stinks... I'm tempted to buy some land and offer this. Would have to hire someone who knows how to teach it first lol..

Stosh 08-30-2014 09:36 AM

The only AKC herding event in NJ was in Shamog. The Burlington County kennel club. I'm surprised there isn't more herding in NJ