German Shepherds Forum banner

Why can't I find herding?

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Girl_Loves_Hydraulics 
#1 ·
Ok. I've tied before and always get nowhere. I'm trying to find a herding training facility and or evaluation site near essex NJ. I'm aware i might have to drive 30 mins or so.
Problem is, when I find some, I never receive any information back when I try to confirm a visit.

Thanks for any and all help or advise.

Just looking for a new fun way to work/train/play with my boy to keep expanding his mental stimulation and growth

#2 ·
You could also try Agility. Or maybe joining a GSD club in your area.

#3 ·
I would try calling. My herding trainer has email but is terrible about it. Also, maybe check the AKC and AHBA event listings to see if there are any events in your area coming up.

I would also expand your drive time to at least an hour. I have never driven less than an hour to go herding.

#5 ·
Pretty sure he has clients that come from NJ for training. Usually does a few lessons in a weekend for you. Trial is coming up on Oct 11th. Going to watch. Hopefully either both of my pups or one of them will be suitable for training when they are old enough.

Truly pasture raised lambs. White Clover Sheep Farm

#6 ·
Thank you every one. Glad it's just not me, with the ol getting a hold of them lol. I figured I would have to drive an hr also, but threw out the 30 min ride for wishful dreaming lol.

I'm not to sure about agility, as from what I've seen, (granted not much) everything just seems to restricted.
The idea with herding was, as I could be wrong also, but more opened, interaction with animals. (I really am interested in this, as I have ferrets and cats at home that my boy interacts with) I wanted to expand on this and grow. M boy has already started to with me follow my hand signs while out running.
I take him out for fetch/tug-reinforcement drills in open parks or fields. He seems to love it, as he can explore off via himself, chase squires and birds, and while in chase I call him back to a heal, or Platz with his tug to reinforce. He will also stalk and crouch down while moving. Slow to sneak up, while **** then freeze look back at me for an "ok" or just stares until I say go... Then off he chases. Things like this just give me the idea that hearding would be very rewarding for him. Even if it's something that he can just partly do. I also love being out and working with animals, so it gives us an amazing bonding partnership, just the two of us.
Sorry for the long responce. Just wanted to give a back story of what I'm looking for. If anyone has other ideas of things to look into that might be enticing, please let me know!

Thank you!!!!

#7 ·
there used to be a herding club in NJ but it died for lack of enough support...there were only 2 GSD herding (HGH) clubs in the US....now there is one only - in the Finger Lakes region that is mentioned above

:( :( :(

Lee

#16 ·
I definitely am, but I'm located in Metro Detroit. There's a few farmers out here that have a lot of working dogs more in the northern part...My uncle who herds (he's just too far, way up in the UP), and he suggested this. Reach out to a local farmer or something of that nature if you absolutely have no resources. I am going to keep my eye on this thread though, and happy herding!!!

#19 ·
BTW I am not intending any disrespect, because you offer good advice. But you realize that you keep making assumptions about things that I say often right? I know sometimes I kind of babble on, and I accept that fault about myself. But do you realize that intentionally or unintentionally, that you come off as incredibly condescending? I know there are lots of people out that whose intelligence should be questioned, but please do not make that assumption of me. If you don't care, that is fine. Just wanted to bring it up because sometimes people don't realize they are doing something until someone tells them. Once again, MOVING ON.

#21 · (Edited)
Yeah...go call random farmers and see how many of them 1) are sheep farmers 2) herd with dogs 3) train other people to herd their flock.

No offense...unless you've actually tried it...don't give advice. I know someone that has a flock of sheep...she'd never allow a strange dog around her sheep.

Herding trainers advertise...they're just few and far in between.

DJ...you're in Michigan...do you know of any secret farmer herding trainers? You're also fairly connected in the dog world...with herding dogs. I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of at least one of them. I know that a lot of time dog trainers are passed on through connections...but this one, I've never heard of. I've been involved for 4 years, have come to find a lot of trainers that I probably wouldn't have found through google...but herding, not a single one.

#22 · (Edited)
Yeah...go call random farmers and see how many of them 1) are sheep farmers 2) herd with dogs 3) train other people to herd their flock.

No offense...unless you've actually tried it...don't give advice. I know someone that has a flock of sheep...she'd never allow a strange dog around her sheep.

Herding trainers advertise...they're just few and far in between.
First off, again, no one said "Hey stranger go to a farm and let your dog run loose on them". That is something YOU came up with on your own. Secondly, I don't know if maybe everyone around your neck of the woods is a total jerk, but around here they are not. I buy a lot from local farmers, and they are more than willing to point you in the right direction IF YOU ASK.

But once again, you make assumptions on my intentions. And I don't think the advice I gave is anything crazy or wacky or dangerous ahhhhhhh. Picking up the phone to reach out to someone that could point you in the right direction is never a bad thing. Anyways...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.