German Shepherds Forum banner

What is the instinct test?

6K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  dogfaeries 
#1 ·
When I first got my dog I had all these plans for her... Little did I know she had different plans for me! She is very high drive working line, and was absolutely CRAZY and reactive up until recently, she's 11.5 months now.

What do they do during a test? How do you know if your dog will herd or KILL? Has this happened, I'm curious to see if my dog could do it, and there's a place near me. Just wondering if I'm wasting my time or not.

Thanks guys

#4 · (Edited)
You're required at most places I've gone to/heard of, to sign a waiver saying that you'll pay for any maimed sheep. It has happened.

My dogs were both put on lines, the shepherd with her gloves on handled them and had a paddle stick as well that she swatted Frag with a few times for getting too interested.

Here's a video of Frag's first time on sheep.

eta; they're looking for the type of interest, how easily they change pace and direction primarily, from what I was told.

#7 ·
We tested Paisley when she was young, so in addition to a long line, there was another dog in the arena with the trainer who just laid there in case. We didn't have another dog with TJ. We did Leyna and Levi so long ago, and at a different place - but I think they were on long lines as well. Leyna and levi were about 2 when we tested them.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#8 ·
I brought my male at 11 months old - I asked what happened if he killed a sheep, they said I would be charged $50...Not bad, but I was still scared for the sheep.

My male had never seen livestock prior.

The Shepherd took him in on a long line with a long rake to use as a paddle. In an instant the prey/interested look turned to herding instinct and my boy was off. The Shepherd had him out there for 20 minutes he loved him so much. Perfect herding according to him!

Try it out - she might surprise you :)

#9 · (Edited)
I did a tending instinct test and we didn't have the dogs on lines at all...we wanted to see what their natural instinct showed. We did have a staff and kept the dog on the boundary. With a few 'back' commands the dog understood the 'game', but we only did the verbal if the dog was moving too quickly into the boundary. It was mostly us, observing the dog so we could see the actual instinct and not our influence. The other team that went with me had a dog from the same grand dam lines, both of our dogs are higher threshold and thinkers, and basically performed the same. Not starting anything, but super aware of what was going on and proactive.

#11 ·
Carly and Sage have their herding instinct certificates. Just like everyone has said, they were on a long line and the judge had a big staff to stop any craziness on the dog's part. One of the judges told me that it's not unusual for GSDs to grip (bite) the sheep. She's only been around one GSD that really tried to kill a sheep.

I had a thread about our instinct tests if you want to read it. :) Sage later went on to do a third test (a year later) and passed.

#13 ·
Carly and Sage have their herding instinct certificates. Just like everyone has said, they were on a long line and the judge had a big staff to stop any craziness on the dog's part. One of the judges told me that it's not unusual for GSDs to grip (bite) the sheep. She's only been around one GSD that really tried to kill a sheep.

I had a thread about our instinct tests if you want to read it. :) Sage later went on to do a third test (a year later) and passed.

There is a certificate you get for going? I had no idea, who is authorized to give these out? Is it an AKC thing?

#18 ·
Wow! That's really cool! I had no idea, I just thought it was for fun, I know GSD herd by circling, like an invisible fence, can they do the things that border collies do? Like moving the sheep through openings? I know nothing about this stuff

#19 ·
Yes, they can be taught to gather sheep/livestock as well. My female does a bit of both (tending and gathering). I personally like gathering as it is more fun for the handler (to me anyways).

#20 ·
I remember I trialed and got some title beyond the test. He worked the sheep around a large corral and around some things then back and into a pen. I don't think it was AKC though, some other herding association or something?

Of anything I've ever done, you talk about something that was all the dog. I don't think I did anything more then walk around with a staff and watch. Lol.

#24 ·
Did an instinct test for my dog just this past wed. Like you I wasn't sure what he would do, especially after the way he pulled and cried to get to the sheep when he saw them at the fence. I was nervous. The facility had us sign a waiver and noted we were responsible to pay for any hurt sheep.
Once inside the ring the first few seconds he ignored the sheep and tried to eat the sheep droppings! Which the tester said was normal lol. The tester took the long line and brought him close to the sheep, which started to move away from him. When he realized he could chase the sheep he got really excited a little too excited. The tester used a stick with a milk jug attached to it and pointed it at him, which he ignored and tried to run around, duck under and jump over it to chase the sheep. He got the hang of it really fast that he was to stay on the outside and not keep the sheep up against the fence. He did try to nip them in the butt a few times but didn't bark at all. The tester/trainer brought him back in, off leash, after doing some more tests for a free lesson and went over his herding style and how he would do some tending lessons with him. He didnt want to stop herding and the trainer had to tell him thats enough, twice before he came to the gate to be leashed. The tester trainer, which is also a judge said he did excellent for the first time ever seeing sheep. I'm so glad I tried it even though I was nervous. We are starting weekly lessons friday.
Please let us know how ur experience goes.

#25 ·
Did an instinct test for my dog just this past wed. Like you I wasn't sure what he would do, especially after the way he pulled and cried to get to the sheep when he saw them at the fence. I was nervous. The facility had us sign a waiver and noted we were responsible to pay for any hurt sheep.

Once inside the ring the first few seconds he ignored the sheep and tried to eat the sheep droppings! Which the tester said was normal lol. The tester took the long line and brought him close to the sheep, which started to move away from him. When he realized he could chase the sheep he got really excited a little too excited. The tester used a stick with a milk jug attached to it and pointed it at him, which he ignored and tried to run around, duck under and jump over it to chase the sheep. He got the hang of it really fast that he was to stay on the outside and not keep the sheep up against the fence. He did try to nip them in the butt a few times but didn't bark at all. The tester/trainer brought him back in, off leash, after doing some more tests for a free lesson and went over his herding style and how he would do some tending lessons with him. He didnt want to stop herding and the trainer had to tell him thats enough, twice before he came to the gate to be leashed. The tester trainer, which is also a judge said he did excellent for the first time ever seeing sheep. I'm so glad I tried it even though I was nervous. We are starting weekly lessons friday.

Please let us know how ur experience goes.

That sounds so cool! I'm scared, hahah they sent me the schedule and the waiver to sign about injured sheep :/

They don't have any open slots until September, hahah I'm scared even thinking about it and it's so far away, she better not hurt any sheep >:[

#26 ·
I think you'll be fine. Sage grabbed the one sheep by the butt, but didn't hurt it. Just got a mouthful of wool. She's all about chasing, but managed to pull her brain together to listen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.