Getting into Herding questions - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

If it's a club, don't buy anything that you can't use on your own until after you're accepted 100% as a club member. So I'd go easy on the pocketbook until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Stosh and I love herding! He started at about 11 mos old- there's a big difference between chasing and herding, which is a controlled working situation. Even at 3 yrs old he still gets into a play mode every once in a while. We go twice a week- our lessons last about 2 hrs and it's $25 a lesson. We've competed a few times and have some titles but we do it because it's so much fun! Good luck, hope you enjoy it
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My boy LOVES to herd! He had his instinct test at 7 months and we were competing in AHBA trials by the time he was 11 months old.

It is well worth the money and effort required. It is addictive, though! Make sure you train with someone who has experience training and working upright, loose-eyed herding breeds.

Go for it!! I can't wait to hear how the instinct test went.
Sheilah
sit,stay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks! Everyone I've talked to so far about it says how fun it is. I'm trying not to have any expectations right now since he's only 6 months and never seen a farm animal in his life(not many rural areas around here I'm afraid or at least not close by).

I wish it wasn't so much more expensive out here, $80 a week seems like a lot, though I do think they offer a bundle of four classes for under 200 so might go that route. As far as the training goes this is one of the only places in San Diego that allows German shepherds so might not have a whole lot of choice in that department.
Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Yeah sadly as with most dog sports the cost is the most prohibitive part of it all. You really need to find a good trainer that knows what they're doing with GSDs. The place I went to for my HIT wouldn't have been good for us because the owner/trainer was all border collies. I've heard she works GSDs but not with as much passion/effort as she puts into her borders. The people I talked with there, all came with a different breed and then ended up switching to border collies (bred by the owner).

So just like with all other sports...make sure you're going to get the best training possible.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

Update here, Ollie herding instinct test video and results!

Carriesue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Default Tending sheep

I have a 16 month old GSD who has killed many chickens on our farm. She is now housebound/ walked on leashes and not allowed to run free. She is so bored! We just got sheep and would love to train her to tend or herd them. Does anyone know if she is "ruined" from the chickens so she will always try to kill the sheep? I've been slowly introducing her to the sheep while on a leash, but when I let her get close, she tries to bite them. Any training recommendations are welcome!
Inglewoodlavenderfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #18 (permalink)

Is it okay to take any HIT, or should it be under someone who likes the GSD style too? And is there a difference between the style of sheep-tending that GSD's and poodles do?
audreyannlow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Poodles are not a herding breed. Most GSD's do arena style herding as that is what is most available.
Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Once a week should be fine for a young dog -- you'll be surprised at how much he remembers.
Home of Ch Natty; Ch Doll; U-CD Jag CDX GN RE NAP NJP (ch ptd); Sara RN (ch ptd); and Ch. Fisher (Mr. Evil)
At the Bridge: Ch Kahla CD; Ch Keno UD HSAs OA; Ch Kizzy HSAs RE; Ch Tag CD RAE2; Ch Pharra; Bee PT; Ch Red the Dachshund
Andaka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.