Kira's HGH training thread - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Kira had another lesson on Saturday. We took her off the long line for the first time.
She did really well - but gradually, as she works, her tail carriage gets higher and higher and she gets more amped up. So I have to make her take occasional breaks, walking over the border to stand with her for a few minutes so she can settle down. Otherwise she will start to get out of control. But for her first time off the long line - she did great!

She's definitely not your "typical" 12 month old. Ever since she was little, she's been super confident (I would really call it cocky), and has no problem handling the stresses that come with training. It's allowed us to start her younger than usual - but it's making her quite a handful. But that's the style of dog I like - confident, drivey, powerful. After all the excitement with Kessy, I think I'd be bored if training wasn't a real challenge!

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 08:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Carmen, I agree that the dam line has great herding resources and I also really like the balance of the pedigree of this dog. I think these videos show a super dog with very nice temperament and typical of what the breed should reflect.
cliffson1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thank you Cliff and Carmen - three of the other pups are working in IPO and look very promising as well....one of the owners and I were talking last night about how prepotent Csabre is - both this litter and the Ufo grandget are very "csabre-like'....in looks, behaviors and personality...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 04:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I got some video of Kira's session yesterday. She's progressed a lot since our last video.

She's now working all 4 borders. She's been in a few different grazes and is doing really nicely on the border. She occasionally gets a little distracted, but it's most likely due to her age. She's only 13 months old, most dogs don't get started til now! If she starts to get distracted we just call her and remind her what she should be doing. That should fade away with age.
She has her moments where she looks to me for direction - so that is a bit of a balancing act. She needs to work independently, so if I help her too much that might not develop. But she is young and she does need some support.

Kira herding at 13 months - 12/8/12 - YouTube

We also started to move the flock yesterday, for the first time. We didn't get any video of that, but she came in when called and did a couple of passes along the flock when she was sent. It probably doesn't sound like much but it's a big change and baby steps are all that are expected in the beginning.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
Old 12-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just watched the video and am amazed at what she is doing at 13 months old!!!!!!!! She really seems to be a natural!

Thanks for posting it!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Fantastic videos of Kira - what a little star she is!

I enjoyed following the progress of Kessy through your videos, and will equally enjoy Kira's progress.

Thanks for sharing.
Questforfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oops double post.

I liked the videos so much, I had to praise them twice
Old 12-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #18 (permalink)

Fantastic videos of Kira - what a little star she is!

I enjoyed following the progress of Kessy through your videos, and will equally enjoy Kira's progress.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well it's been a while since I've updated this thread - but we did take some time off this winter due to weather.
I took Kira herding three times this week, she's doing GREAT.

She's reliable in the graze - patrols all 4 borders, although she still needs some support here and there, but that's normal at this stage of training. In the last lesson or two she's started pushing back against the sheep, so that's a good thing! Before she was not quite confident enough to do that. But she's growing up!

Here's some video of her tending the graze this evening...

Kira March 2013 - YouTube

We've started to move the flock - she's doing very well with that. She has a strong and a weak side, on her weak side she doesn't want to go back along the flock, but it's improved a lot in just a few sessions. She's very easy to control, and comes back instantly when I call, and she has a pretty good feel for the flock. She's not pushing them - yet - but that's fine at this point!

We've also started having her in a stand, while the flock moves by. It's something I've worked on at home (without sheep) for quite a while, and she is reliable, but it didn't transfer over to the farm right away. The first two sessions with the flock moving by, she didn't want to stand at all. I can't blame her - it's very hard to stand still while the whole flock moves by! But today we were able to set up two stands for her, and I think it clicked. She did try to lay down - but I just called her up a few steps and put her back into a stand, and she held it until I released her. So that's coming along really well.

She also had her first experience with the truck going by - which is an important part of the trial. You can see that in the video above. First the dogs need to get used to the truck, just sitting along the border. Then they are exposed to the moving truck while they're working the border, then they move onto a moving truck while they're moving the flock. But by that point they've seen the truck on the border so much that it's no big deal.

I've also started teaching her to jump the netting - for the trial, she'll need to jump into the pen with the sheep. But we start out without sheep, and just teach her to hop back and forth. The first session she really wanted to just run through the netting but I did get her to hop back and forth if I held it down halfway. We did another quick session tonight, and she did pretty well. She was able to hop over a few times without me holding the netting down at all. She did crash a couple of times - the netting is high, and hard to see - but I just don't make a big deal over it, and get her to do it again.

So, everything is coming along well with Kira.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love reading and watching Kira. Stosh and I have been herding for a while now but due to lack of available trainers we're herding border collie style- A and B course rather than tending. He's amazingly good at fetching, gathering and moving around the course, although I can see such a natural desire to drive and tend. He's gotten an Ht and Pt and we're working the started A course but I feel bad that he can't do what he's really meant to do. But on the other hand, at least he's out there working! Kira looks exceptional, especially for her age.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.