German Shepherds Forum banner

My first herding video and photos

4K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Questforfire 
#1 ·
I have only taken Zak to sheep five times so far, but he is already showing good control. He is clearly still trying to work out exactly what it is he is and isn't allowed to do :D but is pretty relaxed around the sheep, and is happy in his work (his tail never stops wagging).

My aim is really to have a dog that is totally trustworthy and under control around our livestock. The other aims are to teach him how to drive sheep from one place to another, to hold and contain sheep in a certain area and to come away immediately he is called. Anything else will be a bonus.

There are exceptionally few herding GSDs in the UK - in fact, I only know of one other and I am not sure how much actual work that dog does. We have no HGH championships and such, which is a real pity.

Anyway, here is the video and photos to follow ...

See less See more
#6 ·
Very cool! Thanks for sharing :)

#11 ·
Thanks for your comments. He has amazing self restraint and control around the sheep.

He has a wonderful character, is calm and extremely biddable. Loves to work with you, rather than for himself. Very high ball drive. He has a wonderful temperament around other dogs, children and strangers. He has strong nerve and a really sociable character.

His pedigree ...

Nyrvana Quest For Fire

#12 ·
gorgeous pictures, what a farm!! beautiful country:) and Zak is a hunk,,love the close up pics of him and the sheep:))

#18 ·
Thanks. I am very lucky to live in a particularly picturesque area in the uplands in Scotland :D We rarely have dusty sheep yards here - apart from during unusually hot summers (therefore, not very often! :wild:).

The sheep in the photo are Scottish Blackface Sheep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.