Cancer and Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2008, 03:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Cancer and Dogs

Links to Archived Cancer Threads: http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post555617

=============

We were talking about cancer in another thread so I thought I'd start one on this topic.

Cancer is the number one killer of dogs. I believe I read somewhere that bloat is actually number two.

I believe that a majority of the cancers we're seeing in dogs is due to overuse of pesticides in and on their bodies (through food, flea and tick products, etc.) and in our environment. I read a study somewhere that dogs who exercise on golf courses have an astronomically high rate of cancer and dogs who live in neighborhoods with high pesticide use (lawn chemicals) also have a much higher rate of cancer. The theory is that dogs are more sensitive to these toxic chemicals because they get them on their feet and often ingest them by licking their feet. They also can inhale them if they are outside right after someone's yard is sprayed. And they can inhale them if you use toxic chemicals to clean in your house.

My ex lost her 6.5 yo sheltie to lymphoma. We used to take the dogs to the local golf course to play every night. I found out a number of years after his death that most of the other dogs in my old neighborhood died young and all had some form of cancer and several had lymphoma. It's like those kids who played with empty barrels that had been filled with toxic waste--we have no idea what we're exposing our dogs to on a daily basis!

If you scroll down here you will see two studies about dogs and pesticides. One links bladder cancer to topical pesticide applications (that would be Frontline et. al.) and the other finds a link between lawn pesticides and bladder cancer. http://www.chem-tox.com/pesticides/

One serious problem you're going to find is that pharmaceutical companies tend to be the biggest study funders so there are going to be less studies about dogs and commonly dispensed pesticides like Frontline, Advantage, etc.

Here you can find some general information about rates, etc. for dogs and cancer: http://www.labbies.com/cancerintro.htm

And more general info here: http://www.caninecancer.com/cancer1.html

I know that on other threads people are talking about early speuters being linked to certain cancers. I am assuming that means earlier than 6 months because it's been SOP to speuter dogs at 6 months for many years now, longer than the increase in cancer rates, I'm pretty sure.

Please add your own sites and comments.

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 04:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Cancer and Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted By: BowWowMeow.....I know that on other threads people are talking about early speuters being linked to certain cancers. I am assuming that means earlier than 6 months because it's been SOP to speuter dogs at 6 months for many years now, longer than the increase in cancer rates, I'm pretty sure.
The link between spay/neuter I don't think has to be just early spay/neuter -- it could just be now that we are finding out the relationship between the two and that explains some of the cancers that have already been there.

Tough to say how much of the increase in cancer is due to better diagnostics now -- meaning that previous rates of cancer may have been higher than we think, but we just didn't have a diagnosis for them. I do believe that the cancer rates are increasing overall though.

Knowing that Indy has a handful of risk factors, I've been trying to fight the big C from rearing it's head for nearly a decade. She had a tumor removed last September, so we haven't been completely successful. But knowing that the tumor was there for quite awhile, perhaps we were successful at containing it.

Gotta also throw in vaccination as a cause of cancer, and there has been an increased number of vaccines given, which is still true outside of a large number of folks that are more aware on the boards.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Everything you're pointing out is very astute. Also though, most people have only been aware of the quality of their dogs' food now for about a year since the great pet food recall. And now many more people realize that what they feed their dogs is garbage, even the super premium stuff leaves lots of room for improvement. Even those 'purists' who feed raw, BARF, etc. are they feeding pasture fed beef, organic meat, etc.? Or is it just the same raw pesticide-laden stuff we are eating?

Although I firmly agree and believe that cancers are perhaps 90% environmental - since it is the epidemic of the post-atomic ear, I think many are genetic, although whether the original genetic defect is longstanding or due to environmental damage to the DNA of a recent ancestor would be hard to observe regardless of species.

According to Wikipedia, cancer was observed by Plato although that's not to say cancer is 'natural' just because it has been observed a long time. Many practices in all areas of civilized living (such as typesetting with molten lead) led to diseases and could be causes of early forms of cancer. It is entirely up for debate whether cancer was seen in nature before our species began to pollute the Earth.

One thing is for sure though, the prevalence of cancer among all species has skyrocketed since the invention of organophosphate pesticides and the testing of nuclear weapons.
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2008, 01:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We are definitely seeing an increase in the connection between vaccines and cancer but we have been over vaccinating for so many years now. The frequency has actually decreased rather than increased. So some combo of factors is probably responsible for the increase in cancer rates or cancer diagnoses.

I learned about healthy food 15 years ago when my first dog almost died from a toxic reaction to the Purina I was feeding her. And I agree that if you're going to feed raw you need to be very careful about the source or you are putting your dog at similar risk and also supporting a horrible industry.

Thanks for all of the additional links. I hope we can continue this conversation and make it into a sticky!

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have had 3 dogs die in the past 15 years and 2 died from cancer. The other was hit by a car. My ex had a 6.5 yo sheltie who died from lymphoma. Basu had cancer of the spleen and Massie had some kind of intestinal cancer. Basu was 10.75 and Massie was almost 12.

What about other people?

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 12-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Cody, cancer of the liver, age 13
Niko, cancer of the liver, age 14

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
LJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2008, 05:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Indy, terrier mix, mast cell tumor at age 10, (hopefully) completely excised. Currently 11 1/2.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Saga of Sander, The Sheltie
http://rhallenbeck.tripod.com/sander.html

New site: http://www.cinnamondog.com/ -- she now has the book available too (it's very good).

Old 12-28-2008, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to creepingninja

Max, a rescue I had only 6 months, died of cancer all over at barely 6 or 7 years. That was my first experience with my own GSD, and my god did is crush me. Now to think of my dogs I have now passing, I can't even fathom it since I raised her from a pup and have had her so long. I really think it'll be harder on me than when my mother passed away, sad as that sounds.
This is why I am considering breeding my GSD female to get a pup out of her, NOT to replace her, I NEVER replaced Max, but Aura did fill the gaping hole in my heart that Max left, and I can't even consider losing Aura. After Falk was put down (He had a serious neurological problem, he lost the use of both of his back legs, his bowels, his urination, etc), I was crushed. He was another rescue. I paid $2,000 to save him from a breeder that the county was taking most of her dogs away from. It seems that in the cases I open my heart and my wallet to do rescues, I end up getting super hurt.
I know rescue and adoption are the best way to go, but in both, well, all three cases I have had horrible outcomes. With Aura I know the breeder, the bloodline, and the health that has come with her.
Losing a pet is miserable. Cancer is a monster. I did improve the food I feed them after Max passed away, but I still wonder with all the crap they're exposed to, if I protect them well enough.
No more front line. I haven't been the best with vaccinations, and I guess that's not a horrible thing. I keep them pretty clean and safe, as best I can anyways... Here's hoping I have better luck with my babies this time!
http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/i...a/IMG_0489.jpg
creepingninja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

<span style="color: #3333FF"> This link should be interesting to all dog owners.

http://www.purelypets.com/articles/treatingcancer.htm </span>

Independent Beach Body Coach

Decide. Commit. Succeed.

Do you want to get healthier?
Do you want to make money from home?
I can help you for FREE.
Contact me.

victoria2448@beachbodycoach.com

www.beachbodycoach.com/VICTORIA2448
Jazzstorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.