Cancer and Dogs - Page 11 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxyGSD View Post
Very sorry for your loss LoveSea. I'm sure Rocky was a great friend. My ould pal jasper, a Rhodesian/lab cross passed away due to hemangiosarcoma in November also. Very very tough time, hard to accept as we only realised it was cancer when his spleen ruptured. Your reply struck a chord with me, when you said you still get choked up when you talk about it. I understand, I do the same when I remember that night I had to go through it.
I'm sure all of us with dogs who have been taken due to cancer understand the upset and confusion when it happens. Great memories of such a loyal friend though always cheers me up!
We've since had 14 week old gsd Max! He's definitely keeping us on our toes hehe! Congratulations on your new additions and I wish you all the best with your beauties! Love niamh and max

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Thank you so much for your reply & understanding. I am so sorry about your dog jasper. It is never easy. I am happy that you opened your home again to another dog. I am so glad that Max is making you happy. We adopted Misty so fast after Rocky passed & she did help us to heal.

I am crying again right now, though, especially reading back to my first post. How our life has changed. Our beautiful 18 year old cat died of old age one week after we lost Rocky. It was just a horrible month of May. I just cannot believe how much I miss my old guy & cat. They were so attached to my children - especially Rocky. He lived for them & I hope to find that again. Today, I was looking through photos for my daughter's 8th grade yearbook - we have to submit some photos - of course I had to add Rocky & our cat. I came across a photo of the last, long day of his life. I stayed home from work to be with him because he was scared & could not walk well. I had to make the call to have him put down. It was the longest day I ever remember. At 5:00, after my husband came home from work, we had to put him into the car to take him to the vet. Before that I took a photo of him. Of course he was in my son's room. I took a photo of my son next to him. In that photo I saw the heartbreak & complete sadness in my son's eyes & Rocky's eyes too. It was truly a "boy & his dog" relationship. He loved my daughter too, but my son was always moving, so Rocky attached & bonded the moment he was left at our home.

My tears also come from my question: Will our new dog measure up? Is that horrible to ask? We are finally getting him the weekend of the 25th. We were away last weekend, so did not want to adopt a dog & then go away. My husband works this entire weekend & the rescue needs everyone home, so the next available weekend is January 25th. We met him at the kennel on January 5th. It seems so long ago, I forgot what he looks like. I know I felt a melting in my heart immediately when I met him. My kids loved him. He did not know how to chase a ball though....also did not go crazy over my kids, but I know that he had been through a lot in the past weeks. He had part of his tail amputated & was recovering & on meds, they also had to separate from his female friend & he left a home to live in a kennel. I know an adopted dog's personalities change as time goes on. I don't want to compare him to Rocky & I know I cannot replace him. I am just hoping that this dog will love us, especially the kids. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks again for your kind words.
LoveSea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #102 (permalink)

My Raven (will be 8 yo on June 30) has just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma of the jaw and will be undergoing surgery on Thursday. Her veterinary dentist predicts a 75% chance of full recovery post surgery, but I am upping those odds by also treating her holistically with immune boosting herbs and the Budwig diet. Has anyone else ever used this diet? There are many testimonials about its success on humans and animals alike. My position is that it can't hurt her and it just might help. Thanks for listening.
SusiQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via ICQ to CMorton

I've lost 2 dogs to cancer and have 1 currently.
Niko- died at 7 years from hemangiosarcoma.
Honey- suspected brain tumor, died at 13 years.
Bahstun- diagnosed a few months ago, nerve sheath tumor
CMorton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #104 (permalink)

Good Evening, I was just wondering if anyone's german shepherd has ever had a "lump" on the bottom of his foot. It doesn't move around, but does feel a little soft. He lets you touch it, but he's also began to lick it quite a bit......I'm planning on taking him to the vet to get it checked out, but was just curious if anyone has seen this. Also, his best friend, was put down a couple of weeks ago, and he seems really depressed, lonely, and a little agitated. Just need some advice for my sweet fella.....thanks in advance.
wdyoung46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master Member

Haven't had a lump on the foot with our dogs, vet check best idea.when Cody passed, Clipper, his litter mate really missed him. Cody was 11 yrs 8 mos when he passed. they were best buddies. Clipper didn't seem to know what to do quite a bit as Cody was the leader. We had a little pack status quips with our other dog, but I kept Clipper as the leader and they adjusted. I just loved on them and got the pleasure of knowing Clipper in a different way after Cody passed. Cody was my heart dog, so in some ways I think it was ment for Cody to go first so Clipper could have his time as leader and to bond with him in a special way. We grieved for Cody together. Clipper passed 9 months after Cody. Thru Cody's illness, It also was a teaching in better helping Clipper thru his and what to expect. Loving your buddy is the most advice I have. Peace to you.
readaboutdogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #106 (permalink)

Thank you for your information.....loss is hard on all of us....including the ones with four legs.
wdyoung46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #107 (permalink)

Blakey 3yr old brain tumour
lee_fr200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.