Staph Infection - MRSA?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Staph Infection - MRSA??

We have a foster girl, Abby from York, SC, who came in to us with a recovering coat and itching terribly after arrival from SC (thinking was allergic reaction to flea bites, as she was covered when she was found as a stray, or mites... scrape for mange was negative, but that is not uncommon, so we treated for S. Mange and bathed with special shampoo and Resicort conditioner). She was doing so well and her coat was looking great, then wham, extreme itching and postules occured week of 10/27.

She was put on Cipro and Benadryl for a month - we didn't even make it to a month and I called our vet and said she is not improving and I think it has gone to her ear. He cultured her skin and ear and thought her skin looked worse - ulcerated postules.

She was put on 1000 mg of Cephalaxin (3 x a day) and 1 Claritin (once every 24 hours).

Then culture of her skin and ear - came back confirming both with staph.

An extended sensitivity panel was done and it just came back today - resistant to most classes of antibiotics, including cephalosporin (which Cephalaxin is). We are going to see our vet with Abby tonight to discuss and have him look at her skin and ear. He does not want to say MRSA yet - thankfully - and is hoping we can come up with the right meds to kick the staph.

However, I do feel the Cephalaxin is working or at least helping her maintain. I even think her scratching has subsided a bit. Her skin postules are not oozing and look better and the gunk in her ear is a bit better.

She is eating, drinking and playing like normal. She was having a ball in the snow this morning.

We still need to find the primary cause, but need the infection to be under control first. We are now thinking allergies, she is/was on TOTW (Pacific Salmon, Dream Coat, Ester C, sardines), but we still don't know.

Any input would be most appreciated. I adore her and I am worried.

Here is her original Urgent thread:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...page=0&fpart=1
Email: darcydrons@gmail.com
www.bigdogsbighearts.petfinder.com
www.bdbh.org (work in progress)
ded37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Staph Infection - MRSA??

Aw! I don't have any advice, just wanted to give a hug. Kenya had a pretty nasty staph infection recently and did a big round of cephlex. Now she is recovering from a yeast infection in her ear (almost gone, due to mometamax and yogurt). I did find two reddish pimples on her belly this weeks so I'm PRAYING the staph is not coming back.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I suggest that you check Apollo's thread for the miracle drug.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

awe poor baby
give her a big hug

proudly owned by:
Brady von Barren Berg, CGC GSD 5/4/05
Cooper von Nordosten, GSD 12/27/10
Missy, Chocolate Lab 3/9/03
littledmc17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

We also are using the NEEM Protective spray on her coat and the supplement - Royal Coat Express (after the Dream Coat supp ended) from Ark Naturals http://www.arknaturals.com/Dogs.aspx

We have an appt with another vet in the practice who practices traditional, as well as chinese medicine. We are hoping to boost her immune system with supplements and perhaps acupunture.

I will look at NSR's Apollo's thread again. Thanks!
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I am betting that since you've only used one abx on her, you should have a short but good list of others to try, including-just a guess-maybe Baytril. Instead of more regular vet stuff I'd ask for a dermatology referral maybe.get right down to it that way.

There's a nice candida article on the Only Natural Pet site but I don't do only natural, being a big fan of abx myself! I believe the other stuff has a place and can help support the work of the abx.so I will use both.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Darcy, was she treated with any Antibioitics before the Biopsie and the Sensitivity panel?

I have been lucky with Lakota's Staph infections that the Cephalaxin works, but when he had his Staph infection in his nasal passages and cavities, it took an extended treatment like 56 days before we got it all knocked out.

The problem that I see is the Vet's are not giving Cephalaxin in a high enough dose or long enough to really get rid of the Staph, then the Staph learns how to survive the drug. My Vet believes in hitting it hard and for longer than many Vet's perscribe.

I hope you can come up with some treatment that works. I have heard that TTO (Tea Tree Oil) can be used, not stright but dilluted with a carrier oil.

Val
Old 11-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Pretty girl!

Are you sure it's MrsA? DDH contacted that in the hospital from being intubated. It's hard to get rid of with typical antibiotics (why it's called a resistent staph). If it is MrsA, put bacitration on it and keep bacitration on it.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Poor Abby! Talk to your vet about Zeniquin, which is what Apollo is on...I am probably oversimplifying but I believe that due to it being a newer drug it is more effective on drug resistant strains. MRSA Staph was what our Derm doc was worried about, turns out it wasn't MRSA, but one of the 5 strains of bacteria he had was staph (hence some of the itching). I know due to the number of different strains and them being resistant to so many classes that Zeniquin was about the only option. It is SOOO worth the PRICE!!

Apollo's doc said not to worry about what the primary cause was right now...will probably never know, as long as we completely knock out the infection this time is the key. Could be something as simple as a flea bite she scratched and got infected that then mutated...it happens a lot. We had him on pred to control the itching, claritan to help with allergies and grain free food just to make sure...once the Zeniquin started helping the skin infection we backed off the pred and the itching didn't come back so we backed off the claritan and no itching still, so itching was just the infection no allergy issue. We just had to take it one step at a time.

Don't be shy to ask for a referral to a dermatologist but it sounds like your vet is ordering all the right tests...best to go straight to the culture now to know what you are dealing with instead of hitting it with what normally works.....we know that NOW, wish we could go back in time!!
www.nobleshepherdrescue.com

Ava:6 yr-GSD
Charly: 6 1/2 yr-GSD rescue
Apollo: 4 yr old foster: BLOG: http://nsrapollo.blogspot.com/

Raven: 1997-2007
Avamom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jean - the sensivitity panel came back resistent to Baytril, as we thought about going to that.

I should have been clearer sorry, I meant, we would use traditional and non-traditional medicine. I didn't mean we would take her off antibiotics - no way.

Val: Abby was treated with 2 weeks of Cipro before the culture and the sensitivity panels?

She is on 3000 mgs of Cephalaxin per day. Does that seem too low? It seems high to me, but this is unfamiliar territory for me. Our vet did tell me that it could take months on antibiotics. He hates to go to pred. yet because he feels it can mask the symptoms and then they could come back full fledge after backing her down off them.

Our vet, who I adore, is our personal dogs vet and also one of the rescue's vets. I trust him and his practice implicitedly. He and one of his associates helped put 2 and 2 together in 2006 regarding the diamond pet food aflatoxin issue.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/09/nyregi...serland&emc=rss

Sinclair: I will print out Apollo's story and discuss Zeniquin tonight and call you!! Dr. G. did tell me he was not ready to say it was MRSA yet and for me to stay off the internet (he was sort of joking with me - he just knows I worry, although he knows I am right to worry about her)!

I will know more tonight about the panels and where we are!

Thank you all for your input and good thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.