Back leg spasms - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Back leg spasms

I have a 10 year old male GSD cross, who has recently started to have back leg muscle spasms after sleeping, or lying for a while. He will get up and his back left leg will kick out continually, or scratch the floor. He's not in pain when this happens and to stop it he'll lie or sit down. He can't control his leg when it does this and it lasts for up to 10 minutes or so.

He's always had a bit of trouble with his back legs. He doesnt have HD, but every few months he would yelp in pain as he was playing with his ball and limp around for a couple of days. The vets said it was probably muscular and gave him Rimadyl.

He is impossible to examine at the vets, and gets extremely nervous/wound up, to the point that he would need to be sedated to be examined. I am making a visit to the Vets for this problem though.

Has anyone experienced something like this themselves ? Im worried that it may be more serious than just a trapped nerve or something

Thanks

Liz
Toby2712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Back leg spasms

Tick disease?

Chiropractor?

You could try stretching the legs and the back out, gently.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I had a 9 year old GSD that would involuntarily kick out her hind legs, not really bad, but kind of like after a male dog pees he'll kick out his legs and scratch the grass. She wasn't in pain when this happened, and it went away after only a few kicks. So I'm not sure if it is similar to what your dog is experiencing.

Unfortunately for us, that was the first symptoms of DM, which eventually took her to the bridge at 11 1/2. Hopefully that is not the case with your dog.

To show the vet what is happening, I videotaped her when she was doing it, because it was random and could not be reproduced. That way the vet could see what it was without stressing the dog.
dogless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

I did video him doing it, on my phone. The vet watched it, and said it was strange and is now looking at the process of eliminating what it's not.

He gave him a two week course of Rimadyl. He's not done it since starting the course, but I'm not reassured that it's because of the Rimadyl, as it was so random in the first place.

I'm sure a test for DM can be done as part of that process of elimination can it ? I'll also look at the other suggestions, to see if it fits. It is a movement like he does after doing his poop, tearing the grass up, but just on one leg, and much less controlled.. It's like he panics a bit when it starts and just wants to sit/lie down!

Thanks for the advice though )
Toby2712 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.