Gabapentin aka Neurontin - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Gabapentin aka Neurontin

Has anyone had a dog on this?

Or taken it themselves even?

Any side effects?

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...211&A=2764&S=0

http://www.2ndchance.info/epilepsy.htm

I swear, I am ready to take one to see what it does on a painkiller lightweight.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 11:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: Gabapentin aka Neurontin

I took neurontin for 6 months when I was first dx-ed with MS, I had nerves all over that were burning like fire. Neurontin slowly repaiired the nerves over time. I thought the stuff was great. The neuro said it would repair the nerves but didn't mention anything about it being like a painkiller.
Strongheart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Dad has taken Neurontin for an extended period but he takes so many meds I am not sure which side effects are caused by what med.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
Amaruq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 01:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Neurontin was supposed to be an antidepressant, but they found that it wasn't that effective as an antidepressant, but was more effective for nerve pain. There are gobs of side effects, though I don't know how likely one is to experience them. I know a bit about it because my mom has nerve pain, and they had her try it. She stopped for some reason, but she is sensitive to just about everything.

Is this for pain? I find that for my mom, and for Indy, with their nerve pain, Alpha Lipoic Acid has been a life saver. I don't know if it's strong enough though....

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 06:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Gabapentin is the generic for Nuerontin. Actually, it is not an antidepressant, it is an anticonvulsant. Its original use is for epileptic seizures. They have found it has an effective off-label use for nerve pain.
I have taken it for two-plus years for small fiber neuropathy and Fibromyalgia. My mother has taken it for years for easing her nerve pain from MS.
I have found it has very few side effects, except for fatigue. However, I am also on other meds, which cause fatigue, along with the Fibro ... so, who knows where it stems from, or if it is a combination of all of them.
When people start taking the initial doses of the medicine, typically they will feel a bit woozy, however, during the course of a few days, that sensation goes away.

ebrannan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I take it occassionally for twitchy nerves. Only side effect I had was weight gain.

Why would you want to give it to your dog?

Mom to:
Dallas 01/15/05
Dakota 10/26/08 - CGC, RN
bmass01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 07:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jean, my son took Neurontin for 6 months several years ago. He had been dx with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and had a constant stomach ache. He was also taking Paxil and Dexedrine (some depression and ADHD). He started show signs of being Bi-Polar. Once we stopped the Neurontin and the Paxil, his Bi-Polar symtoms disappeared. The Neurontin helped some with the pain, but the acupuncture - by a medical doctor at Children's Hospital Boston - is what took the pain away.

Kryska's Ironwill Steel Train SD (Siberian Husky)
Mila (GSD) Adopted from BDBH.

Waiting at the bridge:
Lady Jane Cobb (GSD - age 15)
Sasha (Siberian Husky - age 13)
Niko (Siberian Husky - age 14)
Wooly Bear (Siberian Husky - age 13)
LJsMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Oh, I don't WANT to give it to my dog, believe me.

Thanks for all the information-I guess not a lot of dogs have had it. I think that spiritsmam did use it on some of hers-given their ortho conditions that would make sense.

Cornell pain management uses it for cases of disc disease and with cancer pain. Nina is the lucky one to have both.

I think that it gave her a big fat ataxia side effect. That is my hope. She walked slightly better this morning. It may be leaving her system.

I am guessing-and have a message in to her internist-that the cancer has weakened her so much that she is going to be hit hard by any side effect of any drug.

Of course, Kramer almost falls over just looking at a tramadol, and Nina can take that with no problem, so I know they are like people when it comes to how they react to drugs-varied.

Thanks for this good information-it does seem to be an interesting drug. I hope everyone who has had to take it or is taking it is doing okay.

JeanKBBMMMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 09:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Neurontin is a bad drug. My DH had taken it a few months ago for nerve pain he had every side effect in the book and turned into a totally different person.

He stopped taking it and the side effects all disappeared.

Goggle Neurontin side effects, there are alot of horror stories out there.
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had to take it for nerve pain. I didn't have all the side effects but it was awful I justn quit taking it.
ky mylie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.