Recessed Vulva, UTI and housebreaking - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recessed Vulva, UTI and housebreaking

So Angel is 14 weeks old. She has already been on antibotics 2 differant times for a UTI. The vet told me a week ago that she has a recessed Vulva, and this could increase UTI, bladder infections and kidney infections. I am cleaning her vulva 2 times daily as instructed by the vet however, she is back to having "accidents." I guess I am just venting, because I feel like I am making no head way in housebreaking. I seem to be spending alot of time and money at the vet, and I feel so badly for her!

Has anyone else had to deal with a recessed Vulva, and can you offer me any hope?
I am planning on calling the vet on tue and seeing if we can get another round of antibotic, because she is back to peeing everywhere (often) and crying when she has to go....
If you have dealt with this situation, can you offer housebreaking advise (hope), and your history with UTI and antibotics...
Thanks
Weary and discouraged at the moment in CT

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Sweet Mammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Recessed Vulva, UTI and housebreaking

When a dog is "sick" there is really nothing you can do as far as housebreaking other than leaving them outside 24/7 (I am NOT recommending this, just making a point.)

The only thing I can think of is to take her otside a LOT, that way, even if she still has accidents in the house, it should cut down on the number of times.

Maybe teaching her to use "puppy pads" in the house will at least cut down on the peeing everywhere. Normally I am against "teaching" a dog to pee in the house, but in her situatiuon, it might be the better of 2 evils. (Don't know if this would work or not, it's just a thought. Hopefully someone with more experience in this area will post.)

Are you planning on letting her have at least one heat cycle before she is spayed?

Poor little girl, I hope she gets over these "episodes" soon.

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

Oh yes, I have 2 females (Spirit and now Aoibhe) both of whom have infantile, hooded vulvas. I have spoken to a veterinary urologist and she says that things can resolve at the time of the first heat cycle. If not, then when the dog is spayed you have an episioplasty done at the same time.

One question about your pup - has your vet done a urine culture, or just looked at a sample under the microscope? if they haven't done a culture I would ask them to - it may be that your pup has an infection that is not susceptible to the antibiotics your vet has prescribed.

At the moment Aoibhe is on antibiotics (Clindamycin), partly for a UTI and partly to cover her in case she has Neospora. She'll be on them for at least a month, afterwhich I'll be crossing my fingers.
Teddy ("the Corgi")

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
Spiritsmam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am hoping this will resolve with her first heat. I was planning on having her spayed... but now I am waiting to see if this issue will be resolved by nature. So if not the first (oh please the first) maybe the second. My vet has not cultured the urine, but I will ask her to on tue.

How old are your girls? would you share some of their history with me? Age, have they gone into heat, did it correct it self, how long did house breaking take... any advise. (do you wash your girls down there?? if so with baby wipes? how often? does it help?)

We do go out ALOT (even in the middle of the night) but sometimes she cant wait for me to get to her and she wets her crate. Poor little baby

Thanks for you help!!

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
Old 08-31-2008, 09:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Joanne - do a urine culture, not just a urinalysis. It happened with Gracie that the infection kept coming back because she wasn't being treated with the proper antibiotic. Good luck - it will get better.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

One more question...
can dogs have cranberries, and would this help with the UTIs?

Old 08-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Spiritsmam Send a message via Yahoo to Spiritsmam

Spirit is 4 1/2 years old and Aoibhe 7 weeks. They both have hindlimb deformities, the cause of which is unknown. Spirit was about a year old when I adopted her. We waited 6 months before finally spaying her - from what the vet could see he thought she'd never been in heat. Thankfully Spirit's vulva is set in such a way that we didn't need to do an episioplasty, instead I just clean her vulva a couple of times a week with chlorhexidine solution. From time to time she does get infections, either UTI's or of the skin round the vulva. Thankfully a short course of antibiotics resolves either situation.

Aoibhe is already housebroken at 7 weeks of age!!! She is crated at night and will bark when she needs to go out. During the day she can hold her bladder for about 5 hours - if she has an accident in the house, it is my fault for not getting her outside in a timely manner. When I adopted her a week ago she had pyoderma and urine scald between her legs and round her vulva. A combination of bathing, carefully washing the area and antibiotics has more or less resolved things, although as with Spirit this will be a lifelong, and she may well need surgery when she is spayed.
Teddy ("the Corgi")

http://www.straightlegshepherds.org
Spiritsmam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

My GSD Lola (now 5 yrs) has a deformed/inverted vulva as well. Had a few UTIs during her first year but has not had them since. She was also spayed at approx. 6 mos.

keep cleaning the area, and be patient. Hopefully, it will all work out on its own.
hipster36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2008, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Wow, you must be a special person to have 2 dogs with special needs! Can they walk?
Do you have pet insurance? I am wondering if it is worth it...
I have 2 dogs and 3 cats....
How is Spirit taking to the new pup??

Old 10-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

My girl also has a hooded vulva, she's 12. Been through almost a year of diff antibiodics, cleaning her vulva twice a day, taking her for more baths, etc.

Finally after all this time it seemed to clear up, no more yellow stuff oozing out of her vulva. Only issue now is that my poor girl STINKS. It's def her vulva, the entire house smells, I can't get rid of it. I'm literally mopping the floors every other day but I can't keep this up. The smell is so bad I'm afraid to have people over.

Can anyone offer any advice on how to handle this? I'm still cleaning her vulva but that doesn't seem to be doing much good. Please, can anyone help?
Goldglv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.