Exposed to kennel cough - now lethargic - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2008, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exposed to kennel cough - now lethargic

I'm a dog trainer & my 2 year old male is exposed to many dogs in doggie day care as well as with some clients. One of the day care dogs came down with kennel cough ( they're all supposed to be vaccinated!) last week.

Today, Zack is VERY lethargic & insists on staying outside in the 100 degree weather. This is very unlike him. I'm wondering if he might have a touch of kennel cough? He isn't coughing, but acts like he has the flu. I read that even innoculated dogs can get a mild case - but is coughing mandatory for a diagnosis?
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2008, 02:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Exposed to kennel cough - now lethargic

That dog could very well have been vaccinated and still have kennel cough. I'm sure you know there are many strains of kennel cough, but the vax only covers a few of them.

Yes, your dog could be in the beginning stages of this. If your dog is as under the weather as you say, I would get him in out of that kind of heat whether he likes it or not and take his temperature. If it's elevated, I would be calling the vet first thing in the morning and if he starts coughing, I would for sure be calling in the morning.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

I agree with Elaine. Kennelcough is a virus, just like our influenza. The vaccination is based on one or two strains, but there is more then 12 strains known to cause kennelcough.

But I wouldn't run off to a vet immediately: he'll be pumped with AB, which will not help him. I would just let him be, keep him happy and relaxed. It will pass with a few days. But do check his temperature, ans make sure that he has water (with some honey in it) available at all times.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: PeetI agree with Elaine. Kennelcough is a virus, just like our influenza. The vaccination is based on one or two strains, but there is more then 12 strains known to cause kennelcough.
We are recent proof as our puppy (not vaccinated) contracted kennel cough recently and our older dog, who is vaccinated, caught it from him. Our Vet prescribed ABs for the pup, as a precaution, but said to let the older dog's take its course. He said to just watch for really severe coughing, but otherwise it would resolve itself and it did.
Martie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: I agree with Elaine. Kennelcough is a virus, just like our influenza. The vaccination is based on one or two strains, but there is more then 12 strains known to cause kennelcough.

But I wouldn't run off to a vet immediately: he'll be pumped with AB, which will not help him.
This is not entirely accurate - "Kennel cough" comprises not only several different viral strains but infectious bacteria as well, which is why antibiotics are prescribed. If it were a purely viral affair, like human influenza, I would agree to hold off on the antibiotics but once a KC diagnosis is given, antibiotics may be an important part of treatment and can be crucial in making sure that KC doesn't become something worse.

pet center info
Another explanation

While KC can often run its course in healthy adult dogs without treatment, a fairly large number of animals develop secondary infections, severe upper respiratory infections, and even pneumonia.

One diagnostic technique is to run your finger gently along the dogs neck (along where the trachea is) and see if that stimulates a coughing response.
pupresq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Agree with Pupresq.

A clear diagnosis is a good thing. First off, what if it's something else? There are a lot of things that start off as lethargy then blossom into something more serious. (anything from a UTI to Cushings for example). A good vet exam is a good place to start.

If it is definitively kennel cough, you'll want to take some steps like inhibiting exercise, which makes coughing worse, and putting more moisture into the air (my vet recommended a cool vaporizer).

Years ago, I had a pup that developed pneumonia from KC. It's not as minor of a illness as some people might think. It's easily treated, but it's not to be taken lightly, IMO.
3K9Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Still lethargic, although he is eating. I have considered that it could be something else - valley fever is an epidemic in So. AZ.

We are seeing the vet tomorrow & I'll report back!
Old 08-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Another thought is the canine flu. It is best to get him checked either way.

Kai vom Theishof ~ GSD
Maggie ~ Pug
Natasha ~ Queen Kitty
Midnight ~ Boss Kitty
Lennie ~ "Special" Kitty
srfd44-2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just came upon this thread. What did the vet say Dogmama?
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
Crabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 03:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Zack tested positive for valley fever. It is a weak positive and he won't be treated unless his titer increases.

I saw an alternative medicine vet who has prescribed a mushroom compound, vitamin C & E to boost his immune system. We will retest in one month.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.