Help-White Foam Vomit/Spit Up - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Default Help-White Foam Vomit/Spit Up

What is that indicative of if anything?

Ava did it once on Sunday, once on Monday but was still eating like a horse.

Asked for breakfast this morning, but when I gave her the bowl, refused it. I thought it was the salmon oil, gave her a new dish with no oil, refused it.

Offered her a treat (normally lose my fingers) and she spit it out.

Offered her the emergency Arby's and she refused it. That is what I use to gauge a dog's interest in food since they all will kill me for a bite of Arby's.

She has never NOT eaten-even after she impaled her foot on a crate panel.

She is sleeping right now. I have a call into the vet office. Now just waiting...
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Help-White Foam Vomit/Spit Up

Hmmmm....we haven't had that before. So I'm not sure. Just sending good wishes and hope it's nothing. (We had yellow bile vomit for the first time in a few months today -- is it the moon?!!!)
Old 04-29-2008, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sounds like bile. Rafi was doing this every morning at about 6 am because his stomach was empty. Chama also used to do it in the morning and then her tummy would hurt from acid build-up and she would refuse to eat no matter what I put in front of her. Is her tummy making any noise?

Wait--I'm rereading now. she didn't throw up this morning, just Sunday? Is her stomach making noise?

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Ava wants to be like Gracie, Camper, Rafi...etc!

Sunday and Monday not today.

No eating today.

Stomach-heard one gurgle. Temp was 101.9.

Wouldn't drink regular water or eat grass but did drink the broth water.

She also just ate a few tiny treats that I buy in bulk from Wellness-they are fingernail size. But refused her breakfast meal...and Arby's.

Then I am thinking maybe it's her food-maybe she's getting some kind of bad reaction to it that the others are not.

I am afraid to try to give her one of Kramer's other dried foods-or should I? I don't want her to eat something because it's new and hurt herself, yet if she wants to eat????

I have never seen her refuse her meal. I am concerned she may have eaten something like paper and is blocked or atypically bloated. Of course I am-and it just could be upset stomach, nausea or something very simple.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I can't prove it, but I've always found that white foam vomit (different from yellow bile vomit) can be a sign of a very serious health issue. Thankfully your girl's only done it twice on two separate days, but given she's also not eating, IMHO she should go to the doctor.

Normally I associate white foam vomit with anything from some type of a partial digestive tract blockage that can be due to anything including a build up of gas ballooning a portion of the intestines to full blown stomach torsion.

I've taken dogs to the vet or ER based on the only symptom being vomiting white foam. Using this criteria, JR survived both messenteric torsion and 14 months later stomach bloat w/torsion - Kelly survived stomach bloat w/torsion - and Bruiser almost died when he was a young puppy from viral enteritis (sp) that ballooned a portion of his instestines (and I think beginning quick treatment, including emergency surgery, was the only thing that saved his life). Echo vomited the white foam with his bloat w/torsion, but he also had all the classic bloat symptoms and would have been rushed to the vet despite vomiting white foam. I've been wrong twice, both times with Niki who had some type of obstruction that cleared up by itself.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Obviously I am extremely jaded (from having lots of pukey dogs) because white foam isn't particularly alarming to me but I'm sure Gayle is right. What is bothering me is that she's not interested in anything, even Arby's. If she isn't feeling well then I wouldn't feed her just to feed her because that could upset her digestive tract. If she misses a few meals she'll be fine. It's good that she's drinking broth.

What about giving her some gas-x?

And yes to the food. I have had dogs that were fine and then bam, they weren't. It seems like sometimes the food builds up in their system and then there's a toxic reaction.

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 04-29-2008, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'm just waiting for them to call back.

I also got an e-mail from a Mal(amute) person who had experiences with two dogs like Gayle. So yeah-I go back and forth from panic level red to tan or taupe or whatever the low ones are.

I can give her Gas-X. Of course I am having huge problems not trying to get her to eat-it must be the Italian in me. Anna's laying down right next to her even though it's not one of her usual spots.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Oh, I know. I do that with Chama and believe you me, missing a few meals would be good for her!

It's always alarming when the food snarfers refuse food.

Wouldn't you just feel better if you loaded her up and took her into the vet? Now I'm worrying!

Rafi the malaroo
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Old 04-29-2008, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)

I am going to sneak her back into the kitchen and do a sampling of dry foods - like one or two pieces - to see if its the food they are eating.

Then if the vet office doesn't call (this is an hour-very unusual-but I had to wait to just get through to a receptionist which is unusual) I am going to call and just take her in.

She did rush the fence to bark at something I couldn't see when I had her out-so that was good I guess.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay-I did the gas-x. Gave up on working for the day-she's going in at 4 and I will work tonight. Until then I will stare at her.

She has had some water on her own, she wanted to play (she's leashed to me now outside) with Anna and Mario, BUT she didn't want to harass Nina like usual. She did eat a tiny bit of dry food-but just has that "look" about her.

I am going to ask for an x-ray I think-just so I can be sure and not worry all night. Ava has been known to eat paper, etc. so I don't feel quite so weird asking.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.