Straight poop on poop (diahrrea? colitis? normal?) - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #31 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can some dog food cause large poops? I know this may sound strange but when Stella started eating Natural Balance it seemed her poops were huge!
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Default Natural Balance and stools

We started feeding Almo, our 3 yr. old GSD Natural Balance and his stools were voluminous. We put him on this as the vet recommended a LID food. It seems he's excreting more then he is taking in. Maybe it's just the way the food is? Let me know if you find out.
sept2749 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:34 PM   #33 (permalink)

Smile

Here is my story. I wrote it about Maya and my search for answers to her diarrhea. I hope it helps.

EPI and Dogs - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
Maya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #34 (permalink)
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Remember to get to the vet if

Warning Signs That Diarrhea Needs Medical Attention
• Black, tarry stool, or stool with copious amounts of fresh (bright red) blood
• Loss of appetite
• Marked lethargy
• Frequent vomiting
• Signs of abdominal pain (bloating, groaning, panting rapidly or avoidance response when belly is touched)
• Lasts longer than 48 hours (Since it can rapidly weaken puppies and geriatrics, or dogs with chronic diseases, they may need veterinary attention sooner.)

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/diarrhea-...-treatment-dog

Quote:
Home Treatment of Diarrhea

The most important step in treating acute diarrhea is to rest the GI tract by withholding all food for 24 hours. The dog should be encouraged to drink as much water as he wants. With persistent diarrhea, consider giving a supplemental electrolyte solution such as Pedialyte, available over the counter in pharmacies and grocery stores. Dilute it by one-half with water and add it to the dog’s drinking bowl. Custom canine electrolyte solutions and sport drinks are also available, such as K9 Thirst Quencher. These are flavored to encourage the dog to drink. If the dog won’t drink the electrolyte solution, offer only water. A low-salt bouillon cube dissolved in the water can help encourage him to drink.
Acute diarrhea usually responds within 24 hours to intestinal rest. Start the dog out on an easily digestible diet that’s low in fat. Examples are boiled hamburger (one part drained meat to two parts cooked rice) and boiled chicken with the skin removed. Cooked white rice, cottage cheese, cooked macaroni, cooked oatmeal, and soft-boiled eggs are other easily digestible foods. Feed three or four small meals a day for the first two days. Then slowly switch the diet back to the dog’s regular food.

Obtain immediate veterinary care if:
  • The diarrhea continues for more than 24 hours
  • The stool contains blood or is black and tarry
  • The diarrhea is accompanied by vomiting
  • The dog appears weak or depressed or has a fever
More info:

Diarrhea in Dogs and Puppies

http://www.caninejournal.com/dog-diarrhea

Vet Advice: Treating Your Dog's Diarrhea | The Bark

Quote:
However, when your dog has mild diarrhea and doesn’t meet any of the above criteria, the best things to start with are a 24-hour rice-water fast; white rice balls that contain active probiotic cultures; and the oral administration of an intestinal protectant such as kaolin clay and pectin (KaoPectate™) or a suspension containing bismuth subsalicylate (PeptoBismol™). Loperamide (Imodium™) can be given if the diarrhea doesn’t resolve easily; caution is required when using this OTC medication in Collies, and don’t use it for more than five days. (Another caveat: While dogs can tolerate PeptoBismol or KaoPectate, these medications should never be given to cats, as they contain salicylates, which are potentially toxic for felines.)
Fasting your dog allows her GIT to rest and recover from whatever insult it has received. During the fast, make sure she has plenty of rice water to drink. Rice water is the creamy liquid that results from boiling white rice in water. It’s important to use a good quality white rice; “minute” rice does not work and brown rice has too much fiber in it, which does not help firm the stool because it speeds the transit of digested material through the colon.
To make rice water, boil one cup of white rice in four cups of water for 20 to 30 minutes (depending on your altitude) until the water turns creamy white. Decant the liquid and allow it to cool. You can serve the rice water to your dog as often as she will drink it. If she isn’t interested, mix a teaspoon of chicken baby food (or another flavor that your pet likes) in the rice water to increase its palatability. (Hint: One cup of white rice makes a lot of rice water!)
Probiotics—living bacterial cultures intended to assist the body’s naturally occurring gut flora in reestablishing themselves—may also help speed recovery. These live microorganisms are found in yogurt, for example, and are also available from your health food store or your veterinarian as high-potency powdered acidophilus cultures, which are more effective than yogurt for diarrhea. Mix these cultures into the rice water that you are serving your pet during its fast.
plus Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus

"How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?." ANONYMOUS

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 02-18-2013 at 03:49 PM.
MaggieRoseLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
Here is my story. I wrote it about Maya and my search for answers to her diarrhea. I hope it helps.

EPI and Dogs - Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency
I have looked into EPI, but our vet doesn't think that is the issue because of her age. My girl is almost eleven year's old. Her diarrhea started about 3 months ago. She seems to have all the symptoms and is losing a lot of weight. I recently switched her to Natures Variety Instinct Raw and Prairie salmon kibble with brown rice. She likes the food but is always hungry. The poor girl is straining every time she goes, and it has gotten to the point that she cannot hold it anymore, leaving us surprises on the carpet. Other than the diarrhea, she is a happy dog. I am hoping someone on this site has advice to help with this. BTW, before the diarrhea started, I was thinking she has CDRM because of the way she was walking. The vet put her on pain pills and her back straightened out. She still does a little stumbling, but that could be lack of nutrition. Thank you!
rigasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

One of my GSD's has EPI. They thought she was too old for it (whatever that means) but her labs came back positive. Our baby had a lot of issues with loose stool/diarrhea but found when she ate the other's food with the enzymes, it went away. So she gets them in her food too. They're not expensive and vet says it cannot hurt her.

We use the human grade Pancreatin - NOW Foods that we get at the health food store. We open several caps and mix it in her food. Food must be damp for it to work properly.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
melissa3484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.